Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby boosk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:39 pm

ahnhub wrote:NYU gets a decent amount of play in Hollywood: The whole cast of Gossip Girl/ Ross from Friends/ Theo Huxtable/ Finch from American Pie...when the writer wants shorthand for hip/smart/artsy. When a TV show or movie wants to communicate that a character is super smart, they'll always go with HYPS.


This is the most important criteria one can use when choosing a law school.

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 pm

boosk wrote:
ahnhub wrote:NYU gets a decent amount of play in Hollywood: The whole cast of Gossip Girl/ Ross from Friends/ Theo Huxtable/ Finch from American Pie...when the writer wants shorthand for hip/smart/artsy. When a TV show or movie wants to communicate that a character is super smart, they'll always go with HYPS.


This is the most important criteria one can use when choosing a law school.

Image

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

rayiner wrote:I should point out that I don't think it's good to take lay prestige into account when picking a law school. Because that would lead you to take Duke over the rest of the T4-14. What I'm trying to get at is that not only is lay prestige a stupid reason to pick a law school, but Columbia doesn't have enough for it to be a weighty factor in picking CLS over Penn or NYU. Again, it's not Harvard/Yale.

You should pick amongst CLS/NYU/Penn based on locations and scholarship $$.



Dook? Really? I never thought of Duke as prestigious until I spent time in the South. But I def generally agree with you.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
rayiner wrote:I should point out that I don't think it's good to take lay prestige into account when picking a law school. Because that would lead you to take Duke over the rest of the T4-14. What I'm trying to get at is that not only is lay prestige a stupid reason to pick a law school, but Columbia doesn't have enough for it to be a weighty factor in picking CLS over Penn or NYU. Again, it's not Harvard/Yale.

You should pick amongst CLS/NYU/Penn based on locations and scholarship $$.



Dook? Really? I never thought of Duke as prestigious until I spent time in the South. But I def generally agree with you.


Duke basketball + reputation for being one of the "smart" sports schools.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby ahnhub » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm

HarlandBassett wrote: Image


I couldn't figure out who this is a picture of.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:And now I just found out that Penn has a top 3 med school.

See, normal people throughout the country really have no idea who ranks where. Out west people will ask about Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky if you say that you go to Penn. They'll think you are attending some online school if you say Wharton. They'll nod approvingly whether you say NYU or New York Law School. And after hearing the name Columbia, they'll say "Oh that's a good school. Where is that located again?"


+1 to EVERYTHING Tiago said. Also from California (East Bay) and just went to a UG basically for football... I'm willing to admit that before I started researching Law Schools a few months ago, I thought when people were talking about Penn on TLS it was shorthand for Penn State... i had to google wtf is Wharton.. only reason I knew Northwestern was because of football recruitment, but still couldn't tell you what state it's in.

From a California point of view, the T14's lay prestige would probably be Stanford>Berkeley/H/Y>Duke/Columbia>the rest

I did however remember that Topenga was accepted to NYU Law at the end of Boy Meets World :P

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby boosk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I did however remember that Topenga was accepted to NYU Law at the end of Boy Meets World :P


Again, we need more info like this on TLS so that prospective students can make informed decisions. If I had known this a year ago, who knows where I'd be today.

User avatar
PowderedWater
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby PowderedWater » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:13 pm

boosk wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:I did however remember that Topenga was accepted to NYU Law at the end of Boy Meets World :P


Again, we need more info like this on TLS so that prospective students can make informed decisions. If I had known this a year ago, who knows where I'd be today.


This made me laugh a bit more than it should have.

WODKilla123
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby WODKilla123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:25 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
WODKilla123 wrote:1st off, MTO is the best litigation shop in the USA. dat Cali sunshine bro.

2nd, y u so mad that NYU grads clean up in the V10 and have way lower grade cut offs than Penn grads? Enjoy your V75-100 breh.

See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163550&start=675 for evidence as to how biglaw associates at the nation's most elite firms routinely say NYU = CLS and lump P with MBV. hth.

You do realize the average person who burns out of a V75-100 after 3-5 years doesn't end up in an appreciably different place than the average person who does the same at a V10, right?

Fantasies and delusions aside, I would say NYU has a moderate edge over Penn in NYC (though not enough to warrant paying a whole lot more). Outside there, they're more or less peers.

And transferring from Penn to NYU sounds pointless, at least as far as seeking a career placement advantage goes.


notsureifsrs.jpg

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Safe to say Penn and NYU are peers?

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:19 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
WODKilla123 wrote:1st off, MTO is the best litigation shop in the USA. dat Cali sunshine bro.

2nd, y u so mad that NYU grads clean up in the V10 and have way lower grade cut offs than Penn grads? Enjoy your V75-100 breh.

See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163550&start=675 for evidence as to how biglaw associates at the nation's most elite firms routinely say NYU = CLS and lump P with MBV. hth.

You do realize the average person who burns out of a V75-100 after 3-5 years doesn't end up in an appreciably different place than the average person who does the same at a V10, right?

Fantasies and delusions aside, I would say NYU has a moderate edge over Penn in NYC (though not enough to warrant paying a whole lot more). Outside there, they're more or less peers.

And transferring from Penn to NYU sounds pointless, at least as far as seeking a career placement advantage goes.


notsureifsrs.jpg

Quite serious. If at Kelley Drye, rejoice. If at Cravath, get over yourself.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest