Need some advice, I appreciate any help! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Oleef

New

Need some advice, I appreciate any help!

Post by Oleef » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 am

I applied to and was accepted (very recently) to Fordham Part Time. When I applied I mentioned how I wanted to/needed to work during law school to support my family financially, but since then I have further discussed the issue with my family and it seems that the Full Time program (finishing in 3 as opposed to 4 years) would be better for me. Originally PT was the better fit but the 20 hours employment allowed by the ABA for 1st year FT students will be adequate to meet my familial obligations, so I want to transfer to FT. My LSAT score is exactly at the 75th percentile for FT but my GPA is below the 25th percentile. Also, I was offered some merit money.

I was looking for some advice regarding the proper etiquette to ask the admissions office about transferring/being considered for the FT program. I guess I was worried about them thinking that I applied to PT just because it is easier to get in, but wanted FT to begin with or something. That isnt the case. It says on the website that they do not consider apps for both FT and PT, but they seem very friendly to people transferring between them after the first year.

Would a quick e-mail be the right way to ask them to consider my app for the FT program? It is appropriate to mention that if I cant be a FT student then I am likely to attend a diff school (American, SMU, Arizona State U)? What would be the best way to go about it? Fordham is my top choice so I really didnt want to screw this up.

I appreciate any advice!

cinephile

Gold

Re: Need some advice, I appreciate any help!

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:21 am

I can't answer that question, but I did want to say depending on what kind of work you do, fitting in 20 hours during the week might be difficult. Just from the way the classes are schedules it can be difficult to find a block in which to work. And even if you could, sometimes the reading is so heavy that you don't have time for anything else in your day. But hopefully you can make it work somehow.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”