What type of work experience is valuable for BigLaw?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
crazi4law

What type of work experience is valuable for BigLaw?

Postby crazi4law » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

After reading several threads, I'm convinced that taking a break for a year between UG and law school would be good for me. I plan on applying in my senior year but defering the acceptance that I decide to take.

Right now I am a business major and would like to work for a year upon graduation to A) become more competitive during 1L OCI and B) save up some money to pay off law school tuition.

I read that business work experience looks appealing to BigLaw recruiters. So my question is, what type of business work experience would be the best?

rayiner

Re: What type of work experience is valuable for BigLaw?

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 am

The only types of WE that are tangibly helpful for OCI (i.e. that will let you consistently bat above your grades) are engineering and investment banking, maybe consulting, in that order.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 pm

rayiner wrote:The only types of WE that are tangibly helpful for OCI (i.e. that will let you consistently bat above your grades) are engineering and investment banking, maybe consulting, in that order.
Yaay! i hope you mean in descending order

crazi4law

Postby crazi4law » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:42 am

rayiner wrote:The only types of WE that are tangibly helpful for OCI (i.e. that will let you consistently bat above your grades) are engineering and investment banking, maybe consulting, in that order.

So do you think it is still worth it if I end up working in, say, corporate banking for a year before law school?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am

crazi4law wrote:

So do you think it is still worth it if I end up working in, say, corporate banking for a year before law school?

Yup. $ and maturity and employers will like it more than some K-JD bros.

Return to “Law School FAQ”