straight from undergrad vs. work experience

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

straight from undergrad vs. work experience

Postby 19871987 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 am

Is there any data on how students with work experience end up doing in law school compared to those who went straight through from undergrad? Just curious.

echamberlin8

Re: straight from undergrad vs. work experience

Postby echamberlin8 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I've heard from others that they thought that people who went into law school with experience instead of as a K-JD did better in law school, and were able to weather the challenges and competition with greater ease. But then again, this is only what I've heard others say.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I've heard from others that they thought that people who went into law school with experience instead of as a K-JD did better in law school, and were able to weather the challenges and competition with greater ease. But then again, this is only what I've heard others say.

So person A asks a question, and you, Person B, respond with what Person C has said about their second-hand observations about Person D.

Excellent contribution.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I've heard from others that they thought that people who went into law school with experience instead of as a K-JD did better in law school, and were able to weather the challenges and competition with greater ease. But then again, this is only what I've heard others say.

So person A asks a question, and you, Person B, respond with what Person C has said about their second-hand observations about Person D.

Excellent contribution.

As opposed to you, Person E, commenting on person B whom responded to person A, who asks question, with what Person C has said about their second-hand observations about Person D.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Shiraz

Postby Shiraz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:So person A asks a question, and you, Person B, respond with what Person C has said about their second-hand observations about Person D.

Excellent contribution.

Don't be a smart ass. There's too many on this forum already.

To answer the original question, no, I don't believe there is any empirical data, or at least any that has been compiled into some kind of report.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Many employers, (grant it I'm an 0L getting info from TLS) ask about your prior w/e. if its relevant it can be a plus, but it's normal for a lot of ppl to go straight through LS from UG. As long as your aren't atypical like never having a summer job or fast food gig in highschool or whatever I don't think it matters

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Northwestern, where nearly every student has post-grad WE, consistently outperforms its ranking in biglaw placement. I made no claim whether that can be attributed entirely or in part to WE.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Northwestern, where nearly every student has post-grad WE, consistently outperforms its ranking in biglaw placement. I made no claim whether that can be attributed entirely or in part to WE.

Pretty sure the OP is asking about performance in law school, not employment outcomes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Northwestern, where nearly every student has post-grad WE, consistently outperforms its ranking in biglaw placement. I made no claim whether that can be attributed entirely or in part to WE.

Pretty sure the OP is asking about performance in law school, not employment outcomes.
Whoop, RC fail. Move along, nothing to see here. :P

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

Excellent contribution.

Thank you.

quiver

Postby quiver » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

No empirical data that I know of but I feel confident in saying that there is little/no correlation between WE and law school grades. However, having WE generally tends to help with employment as others have said.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=126460

Related to this thread. He's got a small section on work experience in law school. Nothing groundbreaking, but useful.

Return to “Law School FAQ”