Intimidated by lawyers

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
1988AndX

Intimidated by lawyers

Postby 1988AndX » Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Would you be intimidated the most by a graduate of which law school? Which law school is known for smart and evil graduates who would make you think twice before messing with them?

icpb

Re: Intimidated by lawyers

Postby icpb » Tue May 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Harvard

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Local TTTT because if they managed to be practicing law, it means they are cutthroat bastards who will happily cut you if it means getting ahead.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 pm

icpb wrote:Harvard

Most of the Harvard grads that I know and work with are actually quite friendly and not as cutthroat as you'd think. They're just really smart individuals.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue May 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Does the Evil League of Evil have a law school yet?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 pm

kalvano wrote:Local TTTT because if they managed to be practicing law, it means they are cutthroat bastards who will happily cut you if it means getting ahead.

Probably a TTTT graduate at Biglaw.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 pm

kalvano wrote:Local TTTT because if they managed to be practicing law, it means they are cutthroat bastards who will happily cut you if it means getting ahead.

TCR

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Nobody anywhere intimidates me ever......

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm

JCFindley wrote:Nobody anywhere intimidates me ever......

Really?

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:

Really?

JC is a jet fighter pilot for the US military - he best not be scared of anything!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 pm

1. To OP : I'm not intimidated by where anyone went to school or where they work. I just don't give a shit.

2. To JCFindley - how do I develop this attitude of never being intimidated? Despite being a native New Yorker I'm a very nice person and outside of work, people try to push me around. I am very confident in my ability to practice law and do excellent work, but I lack that innate confidence in the rest of my life. Maybe I need to develop some false bravado to get me through situations? My ex used to say that I wouldn't be intimidated by the starting line of the New York Giants, but that only works with work - not other situations.

(And I hope you have some hints that don't include joining the military. That would never work for me for a number of reasons. )

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

sunynp wrote:

1. To OP : I'm not intimidated by where anyone went to school or where they work. I just don't give a shit.

2. To JCFindley - how do I develop this attitude of never being intimidated? Despite being a native New Yorker I'm a very nice person and outside of work, people try to push me around. I am very confident in my ability to practice law and do excellent work, but I lack that innate confidence in the rest of my life. Maybe I need to develop some false bravado to get me through situations? My ex used to say that I wouldn't be intimidated by the starting line of the New York Giants, but that only works with work - not other situations.

(And I hope you have some hints that don't include joining the military. That would never work for me for a number of reasons. )

I'm also in the military, and not intimidated by anything (but the two don't necessarily go hand in hand for me). I'll tell you my trick...the pilot's may be completely different.

I'm not afraid to die. This doesn't mean that I want to die, or that I'm not hoping to live a long, happy, fulfilling life. I'm just flat out not afraid to die, and so in any situation (especially the ones that are intimidating to many people), my attitude is just basically "What's the worst that can happen?" This has got me through a variety of hairy situations of all types without so much as my pulse noticeably increasing. If everything goes completely to hell, I'll survive and figure it out. It's more an intellectual thing than anything else, I guess, and it really works to my advantage in most cases because we almost invariably perform better when we're relaxed.

Give it a try, see how it works for you.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 30, 2012 12:18 am

elterrible78 wrote:
sunynp wrote:

I'm also in the military, and not intimidated by anything (but the two don't necessarily go hand in hand for me). I'll tell you my trick...the pilot's may be completely different.

I'm not afraid to die. This doesn't mean that I want to die, or that I'm not hoping to live a long, happy, fulfilling life. I'm just flat out not afraid to die, and so in any situation (especially the ones that are intimidating to many people), my attitude is just basically "What's the worst that can happen?" This has got me through a variety of hairy situations of all types without so much as my pulse noticeably increasing. If everything goes completely to hell, I'll survive and figure it out. It's more an intellectual thing than anything else, I guess, and it really works to my advantage in most cases because we almost invariably perform better when we're relaxed.

Nope, exactly the same trick and reasoning...... If the situation is one where death is possible, say two car jackers thinking they want my car, I take it very seriously but when the worst that can happen is death and you don't fear that it makes the situation much easier to deal with.

If you can make peace with the fact that death is inevitable for everyone including one's self, you can choose not to fear it. In situations that are not life and death, which is the vast majority of them, what is the worst that can happen?

I also don't believe anyone on Earth is better than me nor do I think I am better than anyone else. You may be better than me at X but I will be better than you at Y thus we are all equals when it comes down to it...... Why be intimidated by anyone?

JC

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 pm

JCFindley wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
sunynp wrote:

Nope, exactly the same trick and reasoning...... If the situation is one where death is possible, say two car jackers thinking they want my car, I take it very seriously but when the worst that can happen is death and you don't fear that it makes the situation much easier to deal with.

If you can make peace with the fact that death is inevitable for everyone including one's self, you can choose not to fear it. In situations that are not life and death, which is the vast majority of them, what is the worst that can happen?

I also don't believe anyone on Earth is better than me nor do I think I am better than anyone else. You may be better than me at X but I will be better than you at Y thus we are all equals when it comes down to it...... Why be intimidated by anyone?

JC

Death isn't always the worst thing that can happen. What about paralysis that leaves you a dependent and mute for the rest of your life but yet fully conscious?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
Death isn't always the worst thing that can happen. What about paralysis that leaves you a dependent and mute for the rest of your life but yet fully conscious?

See, not worrying about such things that are beyond your control helps as well......

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 30, 2012 12:25 pm

I doubt being unafraid of death is going to help all that much as a lawyer.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:31 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I doubt being unafraid of death is going to help all that much as a lawyer.

That's not what's being discussed.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:59 am

JCFindley wrote:

JC

Awesome, you wrote almost exactly what I was going to write. I was not in the military, but my life should have been lost many times over. So there is nothing to be intimidated for.

I also think, and have been able to prove, that everything I want to accomplish can be accomplished. People and circumstances are just moving pylons on the highway of life. Some will guide you to the goal, some will get in the way. Work with what you are presented, and remember you are driving the car. Oh, and you can run them over if you can't get around :mrgreen:

Besides, being intimidated is counterproductive.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 am

Aspies are not intimidating.

Return to “Law School FAQ”