HELP... Wake vs ND and scholarships

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BeerMaker

HELP... Wake vs ND and scholarships

Postby BeerMaker » Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 am

So Wake offered me a $20,000 per year scholarship. ND offered me a $15,000 per year scholarship. I'm from the midwest and want to practice in the midwest. Wake's tuition is much lower than ND's. If I go to ND, I'm going to pay $135,000 once books, living, etc. is all said and done. At Wake, it's going to be closer to $70,000. That is a significant difference when we're talking about an 8% interest rate. If I go to ND, I'm going to be paying $1200 a month for student loans for the next 20 years. It's much lower at Wake. What would you do? I'm not debt averse and so will be taking these loans on 100%.

CanadianWolf

Re: HELP... Wake vs ND and scholarships

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 am

Do any firms from the Midwest recruit at WFU ?

P.S. Have you asked both law schools for a larger scholarship award ?

ojibwa

Postby ojibwa » Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 am

When do you have to decide by? I think WF is on the up, and ND is on the down right now in terms of employment numbers. I also think money is good.

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Sat May 26, 2012 11:07 am

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting away with paying only 10k for living expenses over three years at wake? Do you have money saved up?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 am

ojibwa wrote:When do you have to decide by? I think WF is on the up, and ND is on the down right now in terms of employment numbers. I also think money is good.

Link to source? I'm going to call your bs.

No Midwest firms come to OCI at wake. Go to ND if you want Midwest unless you have significant connections to get you there if you go to wake

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 26, 2012 12:02 pm

@moanderson: Other than North Carolina firms, which firms recruit at WFU OCI ?

princeR

Postby princeR » Sat May 26, 2012 12:29 pm

ojibwa wrote:When do you have to decide by? I think WF is on the up, and ND is on the down right now in terms of employment numbers. I also think money is good.

Don't just spout bs about employment numbers please.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat May 26, 2012 12:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@moanderson: Other than North Carolina firms, which firms recruit at WFU OCI ?

A couple VA firms, maybe a DC firm, a couple Atlanta firms, and firms in obscure locations like WV and DE. In other words, barely any outside of NC.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat May 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I think if you want the Midwest ND is the answer from these two. I think the real answer is likely retake for more money at ND or a ton of money at WUSTL.

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Sat May 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Actually NDs employment is better than Wake. 2009 OCI was brutal for every school. According to LST, ND sent 13% to Biglaw. Wake was less than 5%. Both horrible, but things have changed for ND. I dont have any data for what the class of 2012 will look like, but it sounds(from talking with 3Ls) that ND will place about 25-30% Biglaw for the class of 2014. 2015 should be about the same.l according to them. I assume Wake is way behind that number.

Where I come from, Notre Dame is WAY more prestigious than WF. That's not to say that WF isn't known as a fine school, but ND in the Midwest, is highly regarded. Undergraduate wise, the Midwest does not get much more prestigious than Notre Dame. Although the law school doesn't have the sterling reputation of the undergrad, its reputation still precedes WUSTL, Minn, IL, and other good schools. For mid law firms, it's as good as Michigan.

My dilemma is the debt. I have connections. It really boils down to what's my best bet if those connections fall through. High debt from ND or light debt from Wake. Given ND's Midwest rep and it's proximity to home, WF is only in the picture based on money.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 pm

i would still seriously encourage you to sit out another year, study like crazy for the LSAT, and reapply. you have a good-paying stable job now, so you have the means to sit tight for a year. your likelihood of scoring employment will likely go up if you wait a year as well.

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Sat May 26, 2012 11:14 pm

What's the advantage to waiting? ND gave me $45,000. They gave people with an LSAT score 3 points higher the same amount. I don't need to go to a T14 and pay full tuition. I'm not looking to work in Chicago or NY. Im looking at mid law with less than 2000 billables. ND will suffice. It's actually a dream school for me. My only reservation is the debt. Wake gave a good offer.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 am

What are your numbers OP? I have an enormous bias in this, but I would definitely go with ND.

Return to “Law School FAQ”