What are the worst ABA approved law schools?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RedBirds2011

Re: What are the worst ABA approved law schools?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm

silentbob wrote:they denied you with a 167?!?!?! Please tell me you have a felony or had like a 1.5 GPA? There must be a good reason for you to get denied with that score.

yield protection

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 26, 2012 5:05 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
silentbob wrote:they denied you with a 167?!?!?! Please tell me you have a felony or had like a 1.5 GPA? There must be a good reason for you to get denied with that score.

yield protection

Silentbob, some schools are known to reject people with scores well out of their range. So someone applying to Southern Ill may get rejected because the adcommms know that there's no fucking way this person would go to that school when they could go to a far better school. This makes the school look more selective when they are actually taking lower quality candidates.
Also, I know that your first round of PTs were low, but I don't think you should just settle for a 158. Trying to just get above a schools 75 percentile could cause you to get lackadaisical when you begin to get close to a target.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh, I wasnt aware of that, and ofcourse Im not going to limit myself, if I start seeing a huge improvement in my PT's, I will probably get very motivated about studying more, Im gonna give it all I have, and if I study my heart out over 3 months and dont see much improvement, I will be discouraged, but atleast I'll know I gave it all I had. (Given the practice advice Ive gotten from others, and the threads I have been referenced, and given that I havent even read any of the PS bibles yet. I really doubt I wont see ANY improvement after 3 months of steady studying though.)

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Silentbob, I'm excited to hear about your progression down the road. Good luck, brother.

silentbob

Postby silentbob » Sat May 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks, Ill send you a PM and tell you what I ended up on in the OCT exam. Im thankful for you and others helping me to realize that taking the June exam was a HUGE mistake. I really thought a few weeks of study would be enough, obviosly that was a big mistake!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm

silentbob wrote:well, Im just trying to figure out were I could get into if I dont do well on the LSAT.

I hope you are kidding....

There are some TTT that actually are good deals and good schools.... Not that many but some......

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun May 27, 2012 1:35 pm

JCFindley wrote:
silentbob wrote:well, Im just trying to figure out were I could get into if I dont do well on the LSAT.

There are some TTT that actually are good deals and good schools.... Not that many but some......

He's good, bro. He decided to retake, and shoot for better options. TLS saved another one.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

He's good, bro. He decided to retake, and shoot for better options. TLS saved another one.

Sorry, I missed ALL of page two and on..... Got it now and yeah, studying retaking and rocking it is the way to go .....

There ARE TTT that are good deals in the right situations but then there are law schools that are nothing more than a business who's main goal is to keep their payroll up and not to prepare their students for any type of actual JD job....

Good luck Bob.....

androstan

Postby androstan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Appalachian (LinkRemoved)

43% "non-employed" :shock:

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:29 pm

silentbob wrote:Is it likely I would get offered anything if I ended up with a 155? Im an ILL resident so I would already get the in state which is good.

Possibly. Someone I went to school with had a 3.9 GPA and a 155 LSAT. I belive SIUC offered $7,000, and Valpo gave a full ride.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:06 am

dr123 wrote:UMass doesnt have an ABA approved law school bro

I do have a friend who graduated from UMass and is doing quite well for herself, but I thought it had received provisional accreditation from the ABA. I will concede that I didn't bother to check, but I remember reading somewhere that June 2012 was the expected date of provisional accreditation. Maybe the sacking of their dean caused a few problems. Anyways, it is a good law school by many accounts.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 am

PDaddy wrote:
dr123 wrote:UMass doesnt have an ABA approved law school bro

I do have a friend who graduated from UMass and is doing quite well for herself, but I thought it had received provisional accreditation from the ABA. I will concede that I didn't bother to check, but I remember reading somewhere that June 2012 was the expected date of provisional accreditation. Maybe the sacking of their dean caused a few problems. Anyways, it is a good law school by many accounts.

No it is not.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:36 am

PDaddy wrote:
silentbob wrote:I was just curious if anyone had a ranking for the worst schools in the US. Ive heard Cooley is really bad, but havent heard of any other really shitty schools. What are the bottom 5 or so? Also, at what point is a school labeled TTTT instead of TTT??

Every "stand-alone" law school NOT named Southwestern;

LOL @ exempting Southwestern

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 pm

why the hate on nova? is it even worse than the other schools mentioned?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 am

Jah'rakal wrote:why the hate on nova? is it even worse than the other schools mentioned?

Um yes

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 pm

androstan wrote:Appalachian (LinkRemoved)

43% "non-employed" :shock:

+1

It may have a small class size, but that whole "only a quarter of the class find work" thing is really working against it. Factor in that if you go at full till it's close to $200k to work a solo gig in Grundy, VA. At least most of the other TTTTs are in moderately decent areas.

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm

silentbob wrote:I was just curious if anyone had a ranking for the worst schools in the US. Ive heard Cooley is really bad, but havent heard of any other really shitty schools. What are the bottom 5 or so? Also, at what point is a school labeled TTTT instead of TTT??

Depends on who you are and what you want to do. I have a friend who attended John Marshall in Atlanta and now works for an awesome firm in D.C.. I also know a school like Cooley gives generous scholarships and has a huge alumni base. A Judge in my hometown went to Cooley. So it all depends.

I will say that from my experience the worst law school is Southern whatever in Baton Rouge.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:06 am

juicyj wrote:
silentbob wrote:Not only that but Ive been told I could recieve a very good scholarship to SIU in carbondale if I got up to a 158! Which is my hope btw!

Carbondale denied me with a 167...don't set your hopes too high lol

Hmm...

juicyj wrote:I scored a 147 and 3.0 lsac gpa. Accepted at Illinois, NW, one of the private catholic institutions, and two other state schools. Granted I had two years of WE, very good letters of rec, and some internships with some fancy institutions. Bottom line...If you get your "softs" up you'll get in somewhere. I even got money from the state schools. Like some of the previous posters stated...just blanket your app and someone will bite. Just don't spend a chunk of money during the process.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 am

^^ LOL, busted.

airplay355

Postby airplay355 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 pm

I got a PERSONALIZED advertisement from Cooley the other day. How impressive. Maybe I'll attend now because they know my name. trollolol

Return to “Law School FAQ”