Advantages / Disadvantages of study abroad in LS

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JCFindley

Advantages / Disadvantages of study abroad in LS

Postby JCFindley » Thu May 24, 2012 6:44 pm

I am reading through my accepted student packet about opportunities to study abroad during LS either during a summer or even a regular semester.

So, aside from broadening one's perspective on the world and the obvious interesting aspects of living in a foreign country for a while what are the advantages to these programs when it comes to getting a job? Are there serious disadvantages like perhaps being in Germany while your classmates are all at OCI

It sounds like a very interesting thing to do but I really wouldn't want to hurt job prospects by doing such a thing.

Thanks in advance,

JC

princeR

Re: Advantages / Disadvantages of study abroad in LS

Postby princeR » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

As a 0L with absolutely no knowledge and is speaking completely out of his ass I can't see how it would help. After all, we are learning about U.S. law. This is why I am teaching abroad before law school. Trying to get those traveling and seeing the world bugs out of my system, well, at least for a little bit.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 am

Disadvantages include limited class selection for important classes, reducing potential chance to get a job (you will almost certainly not be abroad during OCI, but if you strike out then you don't want to have plans to be away while you can still scramble to get one during the year), as well as the likely inability to be on a journal board as a lot of requirements start in spring.

Advantages? It's travel abroad...

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am

Last edited by Br3v on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:17 am

JCFindley wrote:I am reading through my accepted student packet about opportunities to study abroad during LS either during a summer or even a regular semester.

So, aside from broadening one's perspective on the world and the obvious interesting aspects of living in a foreign country for a while what are the advantages to these programs when it comes to getting a job? Are there serious disadvantages like perhaps being in Germany while your classmates are all at OCI

It sounds like a very interesting thing to do but I really wouldn't want to hurt job prospects by doing such a thing.

Thanks in advance,

JC

I think it will definitely hurt your job prospects unless youre looking to get a long term job in that other country. My cousin did this and blames it as one of the primary reasons she found it so difficult to get a job. You need to be looking at establishing a network where you are or want to be long term.

Edited for grammar.

lawschool393

Postby lawschool393 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 am

The disadvantage is that it's stupid and employers will hold it against you because everyone recognizes that study abroad is just dicking around in a foreign country for a while. Considering study abroad during LS is a serious warning that you might not be mature enough to handle law school and serious enough about it.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 am

lol @ first post

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 am

There is zero advantage to doing it. Its just a marketing gimmick schools use because they recognize many students romance the idea of international law.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 am

if you get an SA at your 2L fall OCI and get an offer at the end of the summer, what's the harm in spending 3L fall abroad?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 am

Advantages: None really. If you want to go abroad, then do it before law school. Otherwise, depending upon your future job plans and what your options are, maybe 1L summer.

Seriously, there is no upside. All you do is miss a semester of actual school. If you're really insistent upon doing it, then try and go to a school which allows you to extern abroad for a semester so you're at least learning something.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am

Thank yall....

It's not like I haven't been all around the world already was just curious if there was an obvious advantage that I was missing.... While it would be interesting I just didn't see where it would help and can certainly see disadvantages.....

Thanks

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:if you get an SA at your 2L fall OCI and get an offer at the end of the summer, what's the harm in spending 3L fall abroad?

This. And is there an extra cost to doing it besides the plane tickets? My parents live abroad and I could stay with them if I do one of these programs at a certain school. I was thinking of doing it my 3L year. If it wasnt for that I wouldn't even consider this.

BRADYFORMVP

Postby BRADYFORMVP » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 am

ROFL, only pumo scum consider something as unbearably TTT as study abroad

Return to “Law School FAQ”