mention june retake on waitlist?? - ADVICE please Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TLSwag

Bronze

mention june retake on waitlist?? - ADVICE please

Post by TLSwag » Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I tried to find concrete information on this everywhere but wasn't finding too much success.

I paid my deposit at the school of choice (from acceptances) but I am signed up to retake the LSAT in June. My question is do I mention my intentions of retaking to my top choice (currently on WL) or hold off until my score comes out? This seems like a double-edged sword to me...

1) if i don't mention, it may be too late by early July to make a vast impact? similarly, (this seems doubtful but worth asking) is there a chance I could be rejected beforehand?
2) if i do mention the lsat retake, they will likely hold my file to be reviewed until after? does this disadvantage myself with regards to the fact that people are currently being pulled from waitlists?

thanks for all advice, i really appreciate it

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Re: mention june retake on waitlist?? - ADVICE please

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

ha wow I was in the same position last cycle. I was waitlisted at a few T-14's and told them I was going to re-take the LSAT in June via an LOCI. Same thought process. Ended up and got another 168, so I just felt stupid for mentioning it. Was accepted off one very late in the cycle but didn't have the stomach to pay for tuition. I think you should not tell them about it-- even though it didn't seem to hurt me, there is an implicit suggesting that you think you'll do better in a retake and when that doesn't happen it is anti-climatic at the very least.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:ha wow I was in the same position last cycle. I was waitlisted at a few T-14's and told them I was going to re-take the LSAT in June via an LOCI. Same thought process. Ended up and got another 168, so I just felt stupid for mentioning it. Was accepted off one very late in the cycle but didn't have the stomach to pay for tuition. I think you should not tell them about it-- even though it didn't seem to hurt me, there is an implicit suggesting that you think you'll do better in a retake and when that doesn't happen it is anti-climatic at the very least.
would ur line of reasoning change at all if i told u my first score was a 166 with a FUCKED RC section (like -8ish) & I have completely refined my approach to that section, now consistently PTing in the mid 170's?

i wonder if there would be any way to tell them on june 11, assuming i feel it went well? last time i ran out of time on the RC and i reallllllllly dont expect that to happen again..

(anyone else, advice is EXTREMELY appreciated.)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Because of the law schools in question, it is not worth mentioning since Fordham is too expensive at sticker price so you need an actual score in order to receive scholarship money. If you score a 169 or higher on your retake, then it might be better to reapply than to attend Fordham at sticker price, in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”