E & E Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
imbored25

Bronze

E & E

Post by imbored25 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm

should i read all the E&E's this summer

pifhib2

New

Re: E & E

Post by pifhib2 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 am

No. Absolutely pointless. If you insist upon being a 0L gunner read Getting to Maybe, Planet Law School, Law School Confidential, etc.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

no way dude, those books are pointless

crossem

New

Post by crossem » Fri May 25, 2012 5:35 pm

I am repeating the advice of many before me which I found to be true, after I was perusing these forums looking for an edge.

1) Everyone reads TLS

2) No, they are useless, because your professor's take is the only take. Wait until it begins and it can help you nail things down/prep.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed May 30, 2012 9:46 am

I borrowed an E&E book from my public library. Should I use this to determine whether I will enjoy the law school material at all, or is it no relation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 am

jim-green wrote:I borrowed an E&E book from my public library. Should I use this to determine whether I will enjoy the law school material at all, or is it no relation?
The E&Es are actually 500-800% more enjoyable than the actual law school material. First, they break it down into the rules and make it simple. Second, they try to be funny and give examples with characters from fiction, pop culture, etc. If the E&Es seem boring, then reading cases will be much, much worse.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

I'm a 0L. FWIW, I just started reading the Torts E&E and find it pretty interesting.

Yep, I'm a big nerd.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 am

I know this is stupid...but I am a 0L. What does E&E stand for and is it different than Emmanuel's?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed May 30, 2012 11:37 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I'm a 0L. FWIW, I just started reading the Torts E&E and find it pretty interesting.

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Don't read the torts E&E. I found it to be overly simplistic at times. If you want a decent supplement, then read Forms and Functions of Tort Law. It's not as detailed as the E&E, but is more accurate (especially for proximate cause).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am

msblaw89 wrote:I know this is stupid...but I am a 0L. What does E&E stand for and is it different than Emmanuel's?
Explanations and Examples. The Torts book I got is ~700 pages and uses... well, explanations and examples to show how tort laws apply to situations.
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I'm a 0L. FWIW, I just started reading the Torts E&E and find it pretty interesting.

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Don't read the torts E&E. I found it to be overly simplistic at times. If you want a decent supplement, then read Forms and Functions of Tort Law. It's not as detailed as the E&E, but is more accurate (especially for proximate cause).
Thanks man, I'll look into it.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 am

Edit: thought your first sentence was in response to my comment. never mind.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Edit: thought your first sentence was in response to my comment. never mind.
Is this the one?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Edit: thought your first sentence was in response to my comment. never mind.
Is this the one?
Holy crap, its 47 bucks? I got mine used on the cheap. But yea, that's the one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Is this the one?
Holy crap, its 47 bucks? I got mine used on the cheap. But yea, that's the one.
Yeah, because that's the new edition. Just came out a couple months ago so not much in the way of used copies yet. I'll probably pick up one edition older than that because it's significantly cheaper.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Ill first mention that I am 0L, so my opinion is based purely on what I have heard from others with actual experience. My brother, attorney in LA, was a TA for torts, contracts, and property, and says E&E are great and can offer insight into the course and how it will proceed, if not a direct representation to each professors opinions/takes. A friend of mine, a 3L, said that E&Es really helped him during 1L when trying to hammer down the principles.

My personal take is this: Why not read them? Realize they are long books, and despite the fact that the reading is much lighter than cases and other reading you will encounter, it is definitely much more difficult than the last novel you read. It will take a lot of time to read and truly understand.

After reading torts, contracts, and property and starting on constitutional (federal E&E...keep in mind there are 2 separate E&Es that encompass Con law for 1L) I feel sharper, I am getting a hang for issue spotting and legal analysis/reasoning, my words per minute reading wise has dramatically improved, and Ive gotten used to reading 100-200 pages in a sitting.

I struggle to find any reason how it could give no advantage, and I strain even more to find a disadvantage. While your classmates are reading about promissory estoppel, proximate cause or easements for the first time, you will be reviewing and honing your understanding. If nothing else, you will be prepared in part for the incredible amount of reading required.

InGoodFaith...torts is pretty cool...

"On Halloween night 'A' intentionally causes apprehension in 'B', a trick-or-treater. Is this assault?"

crossem

New

Post by crossem » Thu May 31, 2012 5:34 pm

"While your classmates are reading about promissory estoppel, proximate cause or easements for the first time, you will be reviewing and honing your understanding."

The whole point about E&Es is that there is no issue spotting, each chapter is self contained with little hints of what is to come. You gained little, if any, skill at issue spotting. Hence why they are great for exam prep, when you have been whipped by your first PT but feel like you have the big picture down and you know you need to get better at connecting how X and Y interact with defense T, but you have Z down cold, you go to chapters X, Y and T.

Do what you want, though.

AZN MegaPoaster

New

Post by AZN MegaPoaster » Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Beeg12 wrote: My personal take is this: Why not read them? Realize they are long books, and despite the fact that the reading is much lighter than cases and other reading you will encounter, it is definitely much more difficult than the last novel you read. It will take a lot of time to read and truly understand.

After reading torts, contracts, and property and starting on constitutional (federal E&E...keep in mind there are 2 separate E&Es that encompass Con law for 1L) I feel sharper, I am getting a hang for issue spotting and legal analysis/reasoning, my words per minute reading wise has dramatically improved, and Ive gotten used to reading 100-200 pages in a sitting.

I struggle to find any reason how it could give no advantage, and I strain even more to find a disadvantage. While your classmates are reading about promissory estoppel, proximate cause or easements for the first time, you will be reviewing and honing your understanding. If nothing else, you will be prepared in part for the incredible amount of reading required.

Here, I'll try to be more constructive:

This year, the E&Es were a complete waste of time in my crimlaw, torts, and conlaw classes. I would have been completely misguided to use them at all. For civpro, property, and contracts, they were okay, but every section that I read that my professor was covering contained so much superfluous information that it was nearly useless. The E&Es are only helpful to clear up a subject that you are confused on. Just my 2 cents.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Which Torts book did you get that was 700+ pages? Just starting to research all of this stuff myself.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 31, 2012 6:16 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Whereas I rocked both semesters of Torts reading nothing but the E&E. I don't think I ever actually read a case.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Which Torts book did you get that was 700+ pages? Just starting to research all of this stuff myself.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735588740

You caught me. It's only 696 pages.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu May 31, 2012 10:19 pm

kalvano wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Yep, I'm a big nerd.
Whereas I rocked both semesters of Torts reading nothing but the E&E. I don't think I ever actually read a case.
Yea I guess I should have noted that it depends on the prof. My prof discussed a number of things in more detail. But he also wrote our casebook, which was easily the best/most informative casebook I had all year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Yeah, if my professor had written the casebook, I probably would have actually read it. Instead, we spent 2 months on intentional torts.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info about E&E. I downloaded a free sample of CivPro on Kindle and will read it. I prefer paper books. Would you recommend Kindle/Ipad version or paper? Easier to highlight on paper. Will I need to highlight or make annotations? If you suggest paper books, could I wait to buy them after I move across country in August? Don't want to ship 500-page books. In this case, I could download all the free samples on kindle and read that till then. Each free sample is only 2 chapters, so may not be helpful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”