PSA on Moving Trucks and Experts Taking Qs Too.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Randomnumbers

Re: PSA on Moving Trucks and Experts Taking Qs Too.

Postby Randomnumbers » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I would never use Fedex. For large packages, UPS is probably your best bet. Note that when shipping large packages via UPS, they only use the weight of the package if the LxWxH of the package is less than 5184. If it is greater then 5184, they calculate weight by the greater of the package weight, or LxWxH divided by 166 (Note that by this formula, a 20x20x20 package would bill at a minimum of 49 pounds. The smallest square package that falls under 5184 is 17x17x17). As long as L+2(W+H) is less then 165 inches, and the package is less than 150 pounds, UPS will take the package. A 60# package with UPS to California should be in the ~60$ range. 20 of those is ~1200, which is going to be a lot cheaper then a pod.

Note that any package not encased in corrugated cardboard is going to be hit with a 8.50$ additional handling charge (this includes plastic totes).

As far as shipping a TV - take the box with the TV in it. Imagine it falling 6 feet to the ground, about 20 times. If you are still feeling good about the security of the TV, then ship it. If you think that the risk of that causing damage to the TV isn't worth it, don't ship it. If it is damaged in transit, you may or may not be able to get it covered, but the insurance process will take about a month at best. UPS automatically ensures packages for up to 100$ - if the contents are worth more, ensure them for what they are worth. It only costs 80 cents per 100$ of insurance, and is very much worth it. If you don't purchase the extra insurance, and UPS drops a 2000 package and drives a truck back and forth over it, they'll still only pay you 100 (plus reimburse shipping costs).

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 pm

jim-green wrote:Would you choose FedEx or UPS to move boxes of clothes, pots and pans, and books? I visited fedEx today and their largest box is 20" in all 3 dimensions. They say it will be $60 for 40 lb. I figure we will have 20 such boxes (may be overestimating). Do you suggest another type of moving service for this kind of load? The pod was $5000, so not worth it.

I'm thinking of packing my TV in its original box and shipping it too. FedEx said it would be $100 shipping. I can buy one for $300 in CA, so debating.

Anyone shipped or drove a car to CA. My uncle just told me CA's emissions standards are higher than other states and cars from other states don't pass CA emissions. Is this true. It would be a waste to transport my car and have to junk it in CA. It is a 2002 Honda Civic and says LEV on the window.

(A) You might want to look into Amtrak. Warning, they do have a tendency to lose a box now and then, so stick with clothes and pots & pans with them. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1267371736

(B) Cars have an emissions sticker either under the hood or in the door jamb (I think they're all under the hood, but if not, check the jamb). They will tell you if you ave CA emissions. (cf. http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Hamme ... sample.gif and http://www.discountconverter.com/discou ... _calif.jpg )

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 am

BVest wrote:
jim-green wrote:Would you choose FedEx or UP...says LEV on the window.
(A) You might wa ... iscountstore/images/emission_label_non_calif.jpg )
Thanks, this is very cool. I am calling Amtrak. I just looked under the hood and there it was .. the sticker for CA like you said! THANKS.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 am

Greyhound will also ship boxes in the cargo part of their bus, which might be easier if you're not near an Amtrak station.

What about using Uship to send boxes via freight? It can be a lot more affordable than using UPS/etc.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 pm

BTW, if you're going Amtrak or other freight shipper, you might also want to check on the cost of shipping a pallet. You can usually get an old pallet for free on your local freecycle or neighborhood listserv or craigslist (there's a free category under for sale), and you can buy a roll of pallet stretch wrap for about $20 at home depot/lowes.

You'll want to be sure to find out from your shipper what your obligations are for loading, since it's unlikely you have access to a pallet jack or fork lift, but if you're dropping it off at a warehouse (truck shipping) or station, you should be able to palletize your load right there when you drop off.

Pallets stay together well, but be sure to label each box well, and do this on the sides of the boxes so that your delivery info will be showing through the stretch wrap as well, plus put labels on the outside of the stretch wrap on each side.

Here's how to palletize... obviously boxes palletize the same way as old PCs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRwZNOPQgA#!

ETA: Shipping a pallet opens up a world of other shippers you've never heard of (and some you have because you've seen their trucks on the freeway), with huge warehouses on the edge of town in nameless industrial centers.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Tagged for relevant to my interests :mrgreen:

josephdressler

Postby josephdressler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 am

SPAM

sid.bahl

Postby sid.bahl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 am

Hey guys. Does anyone know of any summer deals going on for any of the big moving truck companies? I'm still trying to figure out what the best option is. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure truck companies don't really do deals. At least, I've never heard of any.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

jim-green wrote:I'm moving a 2-bedroom apt from East coast to Cal, too much to drive a big truck. I'm considering one of those pods they deliver empty to you, and you fill it up, and they move the pod by truck. Anyone had experience using them, costs? Will they store my stuff in Cal a week while i finalize apts?

so i know uhaul didn't get much love here but it might be possible to get them to stick a hitch on your civic and then rent a trailer. I did this for a move with a camry and it went fine. I'd make sure the trailers they're willing to hook up to your can accomodate your stuff.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am

tigyrgrl wrote:Typically with a television or computer screen on the long haul moves, I will use a flat sheet covering the screen and all pointy edges. I have not been successful in finding boxes for the television since we bought. Therefore I will affix cardboard to the corners both under and over the sheet for a buffer zone. I remove all cords and label them and pack them in a box for just cords and electronics.

Get a large double-ply box (almost all true moving boxes) and cut open so it lays flat, sit tv in middle and score through only one ply in a rectangle big enough to encompass whole tv (this will be the bottom). Cut through both plys diagonally from the corner to the edge of the box at the the corners so you can fold up. Remove tv, flip over cardboard, and fold up at score. Do the same for the top and then tape together both halves, including going around the tv horizontally and reinforcing the bottom joins with the sides since weight there when carrying. You're left with a strong perfectly sized box that will protect your screen from scratches unlike your sheet.

This is what professional movers do and it also works with pictures/mirrors/etc.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am

feralinfant wrote:
jim-green wrote:I'm moving a 2-bedroom apt from East coast to Cal, too much to drive a big truck. I'm considering one of those pods they deliver empty to you, and you fill it up, and they move the pod by truck. Anyone had experience using them, costs? Will they store my stuff in Cal a week while i finalize apts?

so i know uhaul didn't get much love here but it might be possible to get them to stick a hitch on your civic and then rent a trailer. I did this for a move with a camry and it went fine. I'd make sure the trailers they're willing to hook up to your can accomodate your stuff.

A civic has a 400-500 lbs tongue weight limit on the frame, including weight in the trunk. (And really, cars don't even have a true frame they are bolted together pieces.) Nor are your brakes designed to take the heat of stopping even a small trailer. Not to mention your sway bars aren't designed to counteract that kind of roll. While uhaul will do it, this is a horrible idea for your car (and your safety) and voids your warranty. It may or may not also be a problem with your auto insurance if you get into an accident.

If the dealer doesn't offer a hitch for your car, towing with it is downright a dangerous and bad idea.

sid.bahl

Postby sid.bahl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm pretty sure truck companies don't really do deals. At least, I've never heard of any.

I didn't think so either. I stopped by a local Budget retailer and they said they were offering a M-T pickup special and would be willing to match any deals from competitors. I'll be moving from the Boston area to Syracuse, NY so it's not tremendously far (about 5 hours) but I'd obviously like to keep my cost to a absolute minimum.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

A civic has a 400-500 lbs tongue weight limit on the frame, including weight in the trunk. (And really, cars don't even have a true frame they are bolted together pieces.) Nor are your brakes designed to take the heat of stopping even a small trailer. Not to mention your sway bars aren't designed to counteract that kind of roll. While uhaul will do it, this is a horrible idea for your car (and your safety) and voids your warranty. It may or may not also be a problem with your auto insurance if you get into an accident.

If the dealer doesn't offer a hitch for your car, towing with it is downright a dangerous and bad idea.

--ImageRemoved--

This sort of reinforces the u-haul as shady company theme ITT.

Return to “Law School FAQ”