Bioethics/Medical Law...?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Raffy693

Bioethics/Medical Law...?

Postby Raffy693 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:46 am

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but hopefully it is and I can get some feedback.

Currently, I have just ended my freshman year of undergraduate studies. I had aspirations of becoming a Judge. Now, I feel I would much rather enjoy work that deals with bioethics and medical law. I have a strong passion for the medical field, but due to my lack of interest in math and sciences I felt it better to pursue a legal career with a medical focus. Topics such as physician assisted suicide, stem cell research, genetic manipulation, ethical issues, even medical malpractice interest me.

For example, there was just a case in my local newspaper about a woman's fight to receive social security benefits for her twins. The twins were born from their deceased father’s sperm, which made them ineligible to receive benefits. That's just one example of a type of situation I am interested in getting into.

Is there a good undergraduate major for this, or any electives I should take? Currently I'm leaning towards Philosophy. Can you pick a focus in law school? Is this a growing subject in the legal filed, (I imagine it would be)?

Basically, I would just like to get some sort of information on these topics. Anything is welcome, I have not had much luck with research of my own. This sort of law is new to me, and I'm not aware of anybody who practices it.

Thanks!

miy

Re: Bioethics/Medical Law...?

Postby miy » Thu May 17, 2012 10:39 am

Go for the any non-ridiculous major that you can do exeedingly well in and get the best GPA you can. As a rule of thumb, that will open/close doors for you much more than the content of your undergraduate work.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 am

Health law, kiddo - and it's definitely a growing, though uber-broad field. Browse AHLA (American Health Lawyers Association) for more information on the law side. You can also look into ASLME (Am. Soc. Law, Medicine & Ethics) through your school's library subscriptions.

Raffy693

Postby Raffy693 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you both very much!

Return to “Law School FAQ”