Patent Law with No Science Degree Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tealkat

New

Patent Law with No Science Degree

Post by tealkat » Tue May 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi guys,
I'm a recently graduated college senior with a double major in Psychology and English, and I'm very close to qualifying for the patent exam with the number of my science courses.

1. How employable would I be as a patent lawyer without even a BA/BS in science?
2. I can get a 3rd BA in Biological Sciences this year while applying to law school - will this give me enough chances at Patent Law?
3. Is it true that for Biology, you need more of a Masters/PhD to be competitive as a patent lawyer?

I scored a 168 on my first practice real LSAT administered in real test conditions; I have a 3.7 GPA. I can still improve my LSAT score. I have a decent shot at T20.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Patent Law with No Science Degree

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Dude. You don't need to post the same thing in 3 separate forums, including one (Employment) that 0Ls aren't supposed to post in.

tealkat

New

Post by tealkat » Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Real sorry about that, new to the forum and realized I might have posted in the wrong place when I realized 0Ls weren't supposed to post in the first one I posted in...I really need an answer though, so I just tried to make sure it went in the right place somewhere.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm

For a firm to hire you for patent law you need a science background. Engineering is usually preferred depending on the practice area. Biology is patent law eligible though.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Almost no chance at prosecution. Even if you can technically pass the patent bar with a few extra classes, it will be nearly impossible to find a job. The BA in biological sciences will not be worthwhile I don't think. For prosecution jobs a BS in bio is very often not enough (need MS/PhD), I don't think a BA in bio science will be enough either. For lit, I suppose you have a shot, but no more than anyone else since you won't have any sort of boost from a tech background, so probably not fantastic coming from a T20.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you're interested in patent law?

SLim1124

New

Post by SLim1124 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am

I'm not familiar enough with patent employability to say for sure whether you could get by with a BA, but it isn't tough to get a MA and if it would help you out further down the line it is worth it. I got my MS in biopharmaceuticals from a Uni of London in 1 year. With your GPA you could probably get into Imperial, UCL, or even Cambridge without having to take the GRE (they pretty much just have a GPA equivalent requirement. No testing, recommendations and essay they just consider fluff). Consider it and pm me if you have other questions or concerns.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”