Question about Law school and JD/PHD programs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Junebugman

Question about Law school and JD/PHD programs

Postby Junebugman » Sat May 12, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm very much interested in Legal and political philosophy and I was wondering is it better to do such a program separately or together? What I mean by that is do people sometimes get their JD and then in a few years apply separately for a PhD program? I know UCLA has an excellant dual program, but from what I've heard, it's much harder to get into than just going into the law school itself. Am I at a disadvantage if I apply, but my BA is in Political Science and not philosophy? However I've taken several basic philosophy classes such as ancient phil., modern phil., legal phil., ethics, and formal logic. Also I concentrated in the Political Theory track. Do most people basically have a BA in Philosophy for these programs?

Doorkeeper

Re: Question about Law school and JD/PHD programs

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun May 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Junebugman wrote:I'm very much interested in Legal and political philosophy and I was wondering is it better to do such a program separately or together? What I mean by that is do people sometimes get their JD and then in a few years apply separately for a PhD program? I know UCLA has an excellant dual program, but from what I've heard, it's much harder to get into than just going into the law school itself. Am I at a disadvantage if I apply, but my BA is in Political Science and not philosophy? However I've taken several basic philosophy classes such as ancient phil., modern phil., legal phil., ethics, and formal logic. Also I concentrated in the Political Theory track. Do most people basically have a BA in Philosophy for these programs?

1. Yes, it is more difficult to get into the JD/PhD programs because each department will judge your application separately from one another and only if you get into both will you get into the JD/PhD program.
2. It is easier to do a combined JD/PhD at the same institution because it will cut down on the amount of time that it takes for both degrees. That being said, you can do the JD first or the PhD first if you want, especially if they're at different schools.
3. Yes, you are at a disadvantage for graduating with a Political Science major and not a Philosophy major. This can be mitigated if you have a large number of philosophy coursework in the philosophy department. Far and away, the most important part of your application to the Philosophy PhD is the writing sample.
4. If you do not have a large amount of coursework in Philosophy, you will need to get a Masters in Philosophy before applying to the PhD. There are a number of good terminal MA programs (Tufts, Brandeis, Georgia State, etc).

Return to “Law School FAQ”