Six wrong reasons to go to law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
minnbills

Re: Six wrong reasons to go to law school

Postby minnbills » Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 am

chimp wrote:Agreed, but the opportunity to work on high impact litigation is pretty limited for most law school graduates.

This is true of every profession though

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 am

chimp wrote:Agreed, but the opportunity to work on high-impact litigation is pretty limited for most law school graduates.

It's quite achievable post-biglaw as long as you're willing to tackle less headline-grabbing situations. One of my professors has been arguing a black lung case in front of the 7th Circuit: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1577172.html for years now. Now of course he's got incredible qualifications, but if you build up 6-7 years of experience win say an environmental practice group, it's not out of the question. Especially if you're approaching retirement and can afford to do a lot of pro bono.

topper10s

Postby topper10s » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 am

I would say I want to go to law school to be like Harvey Specter but I have a sneaking suspicion that he did a Mike Ross and didn't go to law school either

Postby 071816 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
chimp wrote:Agreed, but the opportunity to work on high-impact litigation is pretty limited for most law school graduates.

It's quite achievable post-biglaw as long as you're willing to tackle less headline-grabbing situations. One of my professors has been arguing a black lung case in front of the 7th Circuit: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1577172.html for years now. Now of course he's got incredible qualifications, but if you build up 6-7 years of experience win say an environmental practice group, it's not out of the question. Especially if you're approaching retirement and can afford to do a lot of pro bono.

The vast majority of law school graduates don't get biglaw though.

941law

Postby 941law » Mon May 14, 2012 12:35 am

abortion of a thread

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 14, 2012 12:45 am

941law wrote:abortion of a thread

Worthwhile necro.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 am

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 am

So wanting to be a lawyer instead of a [insurance claims adjuster/retail assistant manager/teacher] (made possible by your humanities degree); wanting a career in public service, helping others for a living; and getting a degree which can still pay obscenely well (with a lot of hard work and some networking) are wrong reasons to go to law school? Cool story bro.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 am

chimp wrote:
RollTide8756 wrote:Oh, wow, advice from Tucker Max! I'll be sure to really take this to heart.

sweet ad hom bro

Are you mad because everyone thinks this article is a festering pile of bullshit?

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am

Tucker Max came to my college a couple years ago and did a "follow your dreams" type talk in which he used himself as the poster boy. It's a nice sentiment, but it's coming from a guy who dropped out of the legal profession and got rich blogging about his sexual adventures. Worked out well for him, probably won't play as well for the rest of us. I realize this doesn't exactly go to the heart of the thread right now, but I tend not to put a lot of stock in his words of wisdom.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
chimp wrote:
RollTide8756 wrote:Oh, wow, advice from Tucker Max! I'll be sure to really take this to heart.

sweet ad hom bro

Are you mad because everyone thinks this article is a festering pile of bullshit?

Also, the ad hominem fallacy is only applicable in the context of a logical argument. In the context of non-provable things like advice or opinions, it's entirely rational to question the speaker's character.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed May 16, 2012 9:26 am

rayiner wrote:IMHO, being a lawyer is one of the only (legal) was to really fight the bad guys. You can be a cop or an FBI agent, but you spend most of your time oppressing minorities through draconian drug laws. As a lawyer with a good case you can tear down institutions. Merck was nearly sued out of existence after the Vioxx scandal. You can't have that kind of impact in any other profession.

+1

Also, I typically hate Tucker Max, but I feel that this article is credited. I enjoy law school, I've worked as a paralegal for years before LS, and I've been lurking and posting on TLS for a while; however, the TLS community is in a bubble. Most people in LS are not in T25 schools, they're not in the top 10% of their class, they're not reading up on the profession, and they have made a naive and foolish decision in going to law school. Many people on here may get defensive, but they have (for the most part) really done their homework and have worked hard to get to where they are, but for all the twenty-some thousand students at T3-4s or those at the bottom of their classes who will never work a legal job, Law School is without a doubt the wrong answer and they should have people telling them not to attend. I personally know people trying to get in to law school or who are already there who really should not be, having cited many of these 6 reasons as to why they wanted to attend; shouting any of these reasons as justifications for LS attendance throws up so many red-flags that they are not making the right decision in attending.

Postby 071816 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
chimp wrote:

sweet ad hom bro

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School FAQ”