The Choice of a Lifetime

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
paratactical

Re: The Choice of a Lifetime

Postby paratactical » Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
Nelson wrote:
YehudaBauer wrote:As far as a job, any suggestions?

If you can't figure out how to get a job with your BA, why are you going to go straight into a professional school that will make it far harder to get a job? Even in this economy, it's easier to get an entry level job with a 3.8 in a useless liberal arts major than it will be to get a JD required job that will service your massive loans. Go do corporate recruiting this fall and go to a consulting firm. Get a job as a paralegal. Try marketing, advertising, publishing. Go write grants for a nonprofit. The possibilities for bland white collar work are endless even without a JD.

What is 'corporate recruting' and how do I 'do' it? I am interested in this possibility.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if you're in NYC, simply google "staffing agency nyc". You might temp for a bit until a company finds a good place for you, but it's a service paid for by corporations and businesses looking to hire people. As long as you are computer competant, your GPA will qualify you for loads of good jobs. It's how I ended up as a biglaw paralegal and started getting interested in law.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 pm

paratactical wrote:I haven't read the whole thread, but if you're in NYC, simply google "staffing agency nyc". You might temp for a bit until a company finds a good place for you, but it's a service paid for by corporations and businesses looking to hire people. As long as you are computer competant, your GPA will qualify you for loads of good jobs. It's how I ended up as a biglaw paralegal and started getting interested in law.

This is how I got a job in DC. I had similarly worthless "credentials."

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Haven't been following the entire thread, but I encourage you to apply to all of MVPBDCNG, even if you don't particularly want to go to them. I had similar numbers (169/3.95) and got in at Penn, $$ at UVA and Duke, and WL at Mich. Your results will vary, but you should grab a few of those 8 schools and then you can (hopefully) grab a few small scholly offers and leverage them.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:50 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
YehudaBauer wrote:To be fair, I was referring to the specific US News rank. Since Virginia is ranked higher, for my purposes, it is a "higher" and therefore "better" school than Michigan. Whether the same view is shared by employers or is true in any statistical sense is rather irrelevant.

ITT: "higher ranked" = "BETTER"

Yes, for the purposes of this thread, which are, specifically, to figure out the highest ranked school I could get into with my numbers, the actual quality of the school does not matter. Rather, I was making a claim that the highest ranked school that I could reasonably hope to gain admittance to is Michigan. Someone stated that Virginia was also a strong possibility, stating (correctly) that if I got in there, I could get into a higher ranked school than Michigan. Another person (incorrectly) claimed that Virginia was not higher ranked than Michigan. This false claim was refuted correctly, to which you replied, "Peer schools are peer." A statement that was rather inane and platitudinous in regards to the subject at hand. Educational quality, employment outlook, and any other metrics used to determine a school's overall "betterness" are not the subject of this thread. The subject of this thread (or, rather, a sub-discussion that originated from the original topic of the thread) is the highest ranked school to which I could reasonably hope to gain admittance. Person A contends that Virginia is that school (a). Person B contends that while Person A may be correct in stipulating that I could gain admittance to Virginia, (b) Person A is incorrect to stipulate that it is the highest ranked school because it is not "higher" than Michigan. (b) is false according to the only relevant metric (US News). Your contention (c) that "peer schools are peer" is not pertinent to the discussion at hand. Your next contention (d) that "ITT higher ranked = BETTER" is true for the purposes of this thread, but unrelated to anything other than the original discussion, i.e. that US News Ranking is the metric on which I am basing the contention: Michigan is the best school to which I can reasonably hope to gain admittance.

In sum:

(a) is a reasonable conjecture. (b) is false. (c) is irrelevant. (d) is true.

I apologize for posting without adding anything to the conversation, but this response ...

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Did you enjoy the lulz as well?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:31 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Did you enjoy the lulz as well?

Pedantry is pedantic.

Return to “Law School FAQ”