The Choice of a Lifetime

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bobbyh1919

Re: The Choice of a Lifetime

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 am

YehudaBauer wrote:Hello there TLS-ers!

I know you guys are a very knowledgable bunch, so I am coming to you for some assistance making a very big choice for the next stage in my life. I am a white male, just finished my junior year at a T50 undergraduate school, have a major in PS with a 3.8 and an LSAT of 169. I have a preference for working and living in or near NYC. My choices for the future:

(1) Go to the best lawschool I can get into, costs be damned! (Cornell? Michigan? GULC?)
(2) Try to stay in the T30 and hope for a decent scholarship. (Fordham? BU? GW?)
(3) Take a full ride to a lower-ranked school. (Cardozo? Rutgers? St. John's?)
(4) (a) Take a year off and save up. (b) work, and then see if I can go to an evening-division lawschool. (c) some combination of (a) and (b).
(5) Screw lawschool altogether! It's a losing game and my numbers just ain't that special.

I welcome all advice. Just please--if you suggest (5), please throw out a possible realistic career choice for someone with my credentials. It's not easy to get hired anywhere these days, especially with just a PS degree.

I will really appreciate your advice!

Check out my profile. I have a 3.95/169 and also did PS. Even if the graphs don't look so friendly, applications have been going down and a strong application package should make you competitive at UVA/Penn/Michigan/Duke/Cornell etc. As you'll see, you can also get some good money from these schools, so set your sights high.

That being said, the whole test anxiety thing gives me pause. A large part of your legal future will depend on how your perform on just a few exams.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

The only answer is to attend Georgetown part-time.

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Sat May 19, 2012 11:37 pm

You are trying to make a decision based on too little information.

Throw at applications at the schools you would consider going to. NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Cornell, GW, Fordham, Cardozo, BU, BC. A list that looks something like that. Make sure you get your apps in early. After you receive acceptances and money offers, making sure you negotiate with schools to get as much money as possible, then you make your decision. Even come back here for help.

If you aren't happy with any of your options, take a year or two off to work, then go back to it. Maybe even see if you can take the LSAT again.

Good luck!

taboo

Postby taboo » Sat May 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I think you should apply from CCN down. You'll definitely get accepted to a few schools. I really don't understand why almost all TLS users encourage people to take a year off. For most people, once you take that year and get into the workforce it's hard to study all over again and retake, especially since you already have a good LSAT score and a good GPA.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Yeah, just apply and see where you get in then we'll be able to give better advice.

Also: Are you sure you'll be able to handle law school exams? Each class grade is the product of a single test....

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Sat May 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 am

I'd apply this ED somewhere this year. I'd probably chose Penn with your numbers and hope for NYC. With your numbers your chances are high. There is also UVA, Michigan, that you can ED to. I think that this is your best option.

Also, I wouldn't take the anxiety on exams into account in choosing a career. If you think you want to be a lawyer, then go to law school. You should get into a school worth going to. Obviously you'll have to work on it...

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com for basic guidance on numbers needed. Also, consider ED options. A 3.8/169 ED app to Virginia should be successful next cycle--which means that you can aim higher than Michigan.

LOL. Virginia is not higher than Michigan.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 am

moneybagsphd wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com for basic guidance on numbers needed. Also, consider ED options. A 3.8/169 ED app to Virginia should be successful next cycle--which means that you can aim higher than Michigan.

Totally is now ;)

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Well, thank you guys! Your information has been helpful and I feel a bit optimistic. I know this is a bit of a random question, but do you guys know how LSDAS considers study abroad grades? I did a year abroad at a foreign institution, so I was wondering if those grades would count.

caminante

Postby caminante » Tue May 22, 2012 3:43 pm

I would advise you to take a year off, see a therapist about your anxiety issues, retake the LSAT, and aim for NYU.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Wed May 23, 2012 6:30 am

caminante wrote:I would advise you to take a year off, see a therapist about your anxiety issues, retake the LSAT, and aim for NYU.

I may have overstated the extent of my anxiety. This is really something that is specific to standardized tests. Happened with the SAT, happened again with the LSAT. Didn't happen for any of the many tests I took in between. I think it is a result of myriad factors not worth discussing here. I see a therapist weekly, so I'm all good on that front! I won't be retaking.

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 am

Law Sauce wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

Totally is now ;)

Tried and true "peer schools are peer"

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm

To be fair, I was referring to the specific US News rank. Since Virginia is ranked higher, for my purposes, it is a "higher" and therefore "better" school than Michigan. Whether the same view is shared by employers or is true in any statistical sense is rather irrelevant.

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:To be fair, I was referring to the specific US News rank. Since Virginia is ranked higher, for my purposes, it is a "higher" and therefore "better" school than Michigan. Whether the same view is shared by employers or is true in any statistical sense is rather irrelevant.

ITT: "higher ranked" = "BETTER"

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Fri May 25, 2012 4:39 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
YehudaBauer wrote:To be fair, I was referring to the specific US News rank. Since Virginia is ranked higher, for my purposes, it is a "higher" and therefore "better" school than Michigan. Whether the same view is shared by employers or is true in any statistical sense is rather irrelevant.

ITT: "higher ranked" = "BETTER"

Yes, for the purposes of this thread, which are, specifically, to figure out the highest ranked school I could get into with my numbers, the actual quality of the school does not matter. Rather, I was making a claim that the highest ranked school that I could reasonably hope to gain admittance to is Michigan. Someone stated that Virginia was also a strong possibility, stating (correctly) that if I got in there, I could get into a higher ranked school than Michigan. Another person (incorrectly) claimed that Virginia was not higher ranked than Michigan. This false claim was refuted correctly, to which you replied, "Peer schools are peer." A statement that was rather inane and platitudinous in regards to the subject at hand. Educational quality, employment outlook, and any other metrics used to determine a school's overall "betterness" are not the subject of this thread. The subject of this thread (or, rather, a sub-discussion that originated from the original topic of the thread) is the highest ranked school to which I could reasonably hope to gain admittance. Person A contends that Virginia is that school (a). Person B contends that while Person A may be correct in stipulating that I could gain admittance to Virginia, (b) Person A is incorrect to stipulate that it is the highest ranked school because it is not "higher" than Michigan. (b) is false according to the only relevant metric (US News). Your contention (c) that "peer schools are peer" is not pertinent to the discussion at hand. Your next contention (d) that "ITT higher ranked = BETTER" is true for the purposes of this thread, but unrelated to anything other than the original discussion, i.e. that US News Ranking is the metric on which I am basing the contention: Michigan is the best school to which I can reasonably hope to gain admittance.

In sum:

(a) is a reasonable conjecture. (b) is false. (c) is irrelevant. (d) is true.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri May 25, 2012 6:38 am

Don't go to law school yet.

Go figure out who you are and what you really want out of life.

Postby 20130312 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 am

You'll make a wonderful law student.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri May 25, 2012 11:11 am

Law Sauce wrote:I'd apply this ED somewhere this year. I'd probably chose Penn with your numbers and hope for NYC. With your numbers your chances are high. There is also UVA, Michigan, that you can ED to. I think that this is your best option.

Also, I wouldn't take the anxiety on exams into account in choosing a career. If you think you want to be a lawyer, then go to law school. You should get into a school worth going to. Obviously you'll have to work on it...

DO NOT ED TO PENN, UVA, OR MICHIGAN.

With a well-written app, you have an excellent shot at all three RD (especially Michigan).

If you wanna ED anywhere, pick one of CCN.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 pm

retake and profit

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Sun May 27, 2012 2:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:I'd apply this ED somewhere this year. I'd probably chose Penn with your numbers and hope for NYC. With your numbers your chances are high. There is also UVA, Michigan, that you can ED to. I think that this is your best option.

With a well-written app, you have an excellent shot at all three RD (especially Michigan).

What would be the harm of ED'ing o Penn? I think I would like to go there over any of the other schools that I have a chance at. I don't think I could get into NYU, even with an ED. Therefore, I think it might be a good idea to ED to Penn just to be safe. Is there anything bad that can come of this?

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Sun May 27, 2012 2:34 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

What would be the harm of ED'ing o Penn? I think I would like to go there over any of the other schools that I have a chance at. I don't think I could get into NYU, even with an ED. Therefore, I think it might be a good idea to ED to Penn just to be safe. Is there anything bad that can come of this?

You end up at Penn? *kidding, kidding* For serious though, your GPA is begging for a retake. Two points higher'll push you into comfortable CCN territory and MVPB with $$. A few more means HYS.

YehudaBauer

Postby YehudaBauer » Mon May 28, 2012 11:07 am

justicefishy wrote:
YehudaBauer wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You end up at Penn? *kidding, kidding* For serious though, your GPA is begging for a retake. Two points higher'll push you into comfortable CCN territory and MVPB with $$. A few more means HYS.

I know a retake where I got a 171 would be great, but unfortunately, it seems highly unlikely. I studied for months leading up to the LSAT, endured crazy stress, and was testing at around 167 before taking the LSAT. In my opinion, I got lucky with the 169 and I would hate to risk all that stress for nothing.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon May 28, 2012 4:46 pm

YehudaBauer wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You'd probably be screwing yourself out of $$ at Penn peer schools.

Return to “Law School FAQ”