LSAC LOR Question? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

LSAC LOR Question?

Post by bdm261 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I have met with two professors who both agreed to write an LOR on my behalf and I gave each of them a signed LSAC LOR form along with a stamped envelope addressed to LSAC's LOR service.

The first professor sent me three copies of the letter in the mail along with a note that she sent her letter to LSAC. I actually didn't want to see the letter but made the mistake of not explaining this, by the way will LSAC find out that she sent me an extra copy? She said she sent it in probably at least 3 weeks ago now.

The second professor, who I asked later, told me after finals last week that she had mailed hers in as well. Today I saw that the second professor's letter posted to LSAC but the first professor, whom said she completed and sent it earlier is still not posted.

Is there a problem here or is it not unusual for a letter sent later in to post before one sent earlier?

cutecarmel

Silver

Re: LSAC LOR Question?

Post by cutecarmel » Tue May 08, 2012 2:32 pm

They probably won't find out that your profe sent one to you. I think you should have checked a box that said that you agree to not see the forms or something.

Don't worry about the letter right now. Give it a few weeks or so, then call LSAC to ask about it. You still have plenty of time, which is why its good that you are getting them in so early.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Ok, so I contacted the prof. and politely explained the situation and she told me to send her another envelope and LSAC form, did this over 2 weeks ago and I asked her the other day if she received it...so far no response. I don't know what the deal is but I'm starting to get worried about it and thinking I might need to ask someone else to write one.

This sucks because I know she already wrote a letter, I just don't know why it wasn't sent in correctly. I gave her the LSAC form signed and a stamped envelope with the LSAC LOR address filled out exactly.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Even if LSAC finds out that you saw the letter, it doesn't matter. When you waive your right to see the letter, you're only saying that you waive your right to go and ask the school that you ultimately end up attending to show you the letter. This is because there is a federal law that requires schools to show you any part of your application. The school would prefer that you not come in and ask them to show you the recommender's letter. However, the recommender showing you the letter is perfectly fine.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't know why this prof. decided to suddenly stop answering but I am freaking out because I really don't know who else to ask for a letter. She did send me a copy of the letter, is there anyway I can send that to LSAC myself, will they accept a letter written by a Prof. but send by a student? Maybe it'll at least be an "unwaived" letter but better than nothing?

Hopefully she will answer me soon and this will be worked out and there's some good explanation for her blowing me off.

I am actually considering complaining to the dept. if this continues to the point where it's unreasonable. It's completely unprofessional to tell a student you'll write a letter on their behalf and then never send it in. Has anyone ever heard of a prof. pretending to write a letter and then actually never sending to LSAC? I know it sounds crazy but my mind is starting to wander as to what I could have possibly done to make this prof. BS me. I'm starting to think maybe another student whom she felt was more qualified asked her for a LOR and she thought writing and signing 2 LORs would give the letter for the "more qualified" candidate less weight or something.

I called LSAC the other week and they never even received this letter but they had one from another prof who wrote and sent hers in 2 weeks after the first prof. said hers was already complete and sent in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed May 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Slow down and breathe.

Are you sure the prof is even in town (or in the country?) It is the time of year for most schools when school has either just let out or profs are in the middle of grading finals and submitting grade reports.

This is for the 2012-13 cycle, right? I assume it's not for a Spring Start application that's due before Feb 1, 2013. You have plenty of time.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 pm

This is for the 2012-2013 admissions cycle, but there are 2 schools I might apply to which would allow me to start Jan 2013. Those applications must be sent out by Sept. at the latest but open up in June. I'll have my LSAT score in July, so I want to send those apps out around the same time.

I don't understand really, she wrote the letter so it's not a case of her not getting around to it yet, I have copies of the letter...she literally just needs to put the letter in the stamped addressed envelope along with the LSAC LOR form and send it to LSAC, I can't see how that would consume more than a minute of time.

She has emailed me back recently telling me to send it to her house, not the school since she's there for the summer and that's the last I heard from her probably 2 weeks back. I sent her another envelope and I made sure to use perfect handwriting to address it to LSAC, I think I even put two stamps on it for overkill just in case. I put in a crisp, freshly printed out LSAC form and even pre-folded it three-way to fit in the envelope.

Now she's been incommunicado..she had to have gotten the new envelope, it takes like 24 hours to get mail across town where I live and probably 48 hours max during the week for the letter to reach LSAC at Newton, PA.

I guess I can give it another week but at some point I need to reformulate a plan if she's just decided to no longer send the letter in or something. There's literally no other profs. who I even know well enough to ask for another LOR. I asked her because I took 2 classes with her and was active in class...my other classes I may have gotten As in but basically just did my work and that's it.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Dude, relax. It was just a holiday weekend. She's probably on vacation. You have months to get this done. No need to burn a bridge.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:19 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Dude, relax. It was just a holiday weekend. She's probably on vacation. You have months to get this done. No need to burn a bridge.
InGoodFaith wrote:Dude, relax. It was just a holiday weekend. She's probably on vacation. You have months to get this done. No need to burn a bridge.
I'm trying to go about this the best way, but at this point i'm really stressing out...and the LSAT is in 6 days and this is really bothering me. She completed the letter and sent me a copy of it back in April, two months ago now!...for some reason her letter never made it to LSAC and now she's been ignoring the last email I have sent in which I simply asked if she received the new envelope and LSAC LOR form. I'm really frustrated because all that literally needs done is a piece of paper put into an envelope and sent to LSAC.

I know it's possible she's on vacation but I feel like she would have at least mentioned that when she said to send the new envelope/form to her house instead of the university's address.

How long do I let this go on for and what's the appropriate course of action? I figured there's no point sending any further emails, but if this doesn't get done I'm screwed. She hasn't answered in a month, and everyday I am feeling less and less hopeful that this will even get done by September when I plan on applying. I'm even scouting out other profs. who could write a letter since it's looking like I need a backup....but I don't know any other profs. really!

Can I submit her LOR to LSAC myself since I have a copy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”