Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gc1990
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby gc1990 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm

I've been accepted to a school off of the waitlist after sending a letter of continued interest to the school. I said they were my number 1 choice and that I would go if accepted. They called me, confirmed my interest withdrawing from the other schools, and offered me admission on the next day. Is this binding? If I do not accept, can they take action against me or blackball to other schools?

Thanks for help.

User avatar
roaringeagle
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby roaringeagle » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 pm

I would assume that it is. You committed in good faith in writing which is even more significant than the verbal commitment. They will definitely blacklist you.

PS

Is it UVA?

gc1990
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby gc1990 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

roaringeagle wrote:I would assume that it is. You committed in good faith in writing which is even more significant than the verbal commitment. They will definitely blacklist you.

PS

Is it UVA?


No it isn't. Any idea if it's acceptable to ask them about this? Also, should I ask them or should I ask the school that I would going to instead?

gc1990
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby gc1990 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm


User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 pm

gc1990 wrote:I've been accepted to a school off of the waitlist after sending a letter of continued interest to the school. I said they were my number 1 choice and that I would go if accepted. They called me, confirmed my interest withdrawing from the other schools, and offered me admission on the next day. Is this binding? If I do not accept, can they take action against me or blackball to other schools?

Thanks for help.

Does the school have an ED program? If yes, did you apply via it? If not, you're good.

gc1990
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Is an email/verbal commitment to a law school binding?

Postby gc1990 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 pm

sundance95 wrote:
gc1990 wrote:I've been accepted to a school off of the waitlist after sending a letter of continued interest to the school. I said they were my number 1 choice and that I would go if accepted. They called me, confirmed my interest withdrawing from the other schools, and offered me admission on the next day. Is this binding? If I do not accept, can they take action against me or blackball to other schools?

Thanks for help.

Does the school have an ED program? If yes, did you apply via it? If not, you're good.


No, I did not. Thanks for the help!




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest