Watches as a lawyer

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stabiloboss
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby stabiloboss » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 pm

yepp around $1100...if you find a good authorized dealer and butter him up...close to a grand...

User avatar
Borg
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Borg » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm

psm11 wrote:
kalvano wrote:All you watch people who really know your stuff, I'm thinking about getting my wife a TAG Aquaracer as a graduation gift. Retail is about $1700, what can I reasonably expect to pick it up for?


i don't know what area you are in but the dealer i go to for my watches usually sells watches for 30% less than msrp. I got a uboat classico which retails for 2600 for 17 hundred and change before taxes. I also got my bell and ross which retails for 4100 for 3300 before taxes. from what i have experienced most dealers will work with you on a price.


Can you say who your dealer is? I'm in the market and I'm trying to figure out where to go, sounds pretty good.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm in Dallas, so I've got tons of jewelry stores around. I just wanted to know what a reasonable target is. $1100 seems fair.

User avatar
magicbunny
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby magicbunny » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 am

For ladies here:

the classic Longines
Image

I own one for many years and it is classic, durable and versatile, and goes with most things

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby kwais » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 am

magicbunny wrote:For ladies here:

the classic Longines
Image

I own one for many years and it is classic, durable and versatile, and goes with most things


now when I see Longines, I think Modern Family. It makes me laugh

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:16 pm

I wear a Men's Longines. It's great.

Also, what was the Modern Family joke? I don't remember it.

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Systematic1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm


User avatar
Stupe
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Stupe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 am

http://usseagull.com/EnProductShow.asp? ... =93&ID=132

I'm kind of in love with this watch. And at $250 it's just within my modest undergrad budget.

stabiloboss
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby stabiloboss » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 am

not really sure if LV make good watches, it's more of a designer brand isn't it?

same price buys a nice Breitling...

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 am

Systematic1 wrote:[img]picture.jpg[/img]
Credited. When you make partner that is.


Not credited until you find out who actually makes the watch?

It's probably Movado or some other TTT company.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13286
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 am

I think it's incredibly unprofessional not to wear a watch. I always have for some reason, possibly because you look like a 14 yr old girl (what I imagine) whipping out your phone to check the time. As it so happens, the attorney who interviewed me at the firm im working at asked me the time diring the interview, since his watch battery had died. I was glad I wore a watch (totally a chance happening, but all the same).

You don't have to wear something super expensive for it to look nice. I'm a big fan of Burberry for being Swiss made and in a decent price range.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby basilseal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 am

Echoing what someone said about Timexes earlier- I've seen way more grosgrain-strapped Timexes (non-digital, of course) on execs than some of these luxury ones. A bit of good old reverse-snobbery.

That said, the Cartier Tank makes a good showing too.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Image
Not only is it fashionable, but you can keep track of your SRS BSNS appts.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Systematic1 wrote:LVWatch.jpg
Credited. When you make partner that is.
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#/eng_US/Collections/Men/Watches/products/Tambour-LV-Cup-Auto-Q103D0

crossarmant wrote:casio-calculator-watch-2.jpg
Not only is it fashionable, but you can keep track of your SRS BSNS appts.

:lol: I enjoyed these two.

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Systematic1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Not credited until you find out who actually makes the watch?
It's probably Movado or some other TTT company.

flem wrote:lolwut
Who the fuck would pay 12K for that POS
Buy watches from quality watch makers, not fashion houses

:roll: :roll: :roll:
....You guys do realize that LV owns some of the major "quality watch makers" (ie. Tag Huer, Hublot, Bulgari, Zenith, Chaumet, even Marc Jacobs) How does buying from one of their subsidiaries somehow justify a purchase more than buying directly through them? I stand by my initial conclusion. That watch is dope.

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby smittytron3k » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 am

fwiw, i bought a tag aquaracer on ebay for 550 and couldn't be happier with it.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby top30man » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 am

smittytron3k wrote:fwiw, i bought a tag aquaracer on ebay for 550 and couldn't be happier with it.

That's a good price for one. Tags at full price are a mistake.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

None of the authorized dealers for TAG here seem willing to get close to a grand. Any reason I shouldn't buy one on Amazon, if it's sold by Amazon and not some random store?

User avatar
GertieTheDinosaur
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby GertieTheDinosaur » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Brolex or GTFO

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 am

kalvano wrote:None of the authorized dealers for TAG here seem willing to get close to a grand. Any reason I shouldn't buy one on Amazon, if it's sold by Amazon and not some random store?

Not that I'm aware of. Theyre an authorized reseller.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 am

top30man wrote:
kalvano wrote:None of the authorized dealers for TAG here seem willing to get close to a grand. Any reason I shouldn't buy one on Amazon, if it's sold by Amazon and not some random store?

Not that I'm aware of. Theyre an authorized reseller.



Not for TAG. But they offer a 2-year Amazon warranty. I've never had a bad experience with Amazon, but I've never bought anything like this from them before, either.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 am

kalvano wrote:
top30man wrote:
kalvano wrote:None of the authorized dealers for TAG here seem willing to get close to a grand. Any reason I shouldn't buy one on Amazon, if it's sold by Amazon and not some random store?

Not that I'm aware of. Theyre an authorized reseller.



Not for TAG. But they offer a 2-year Amazon warranty. I've never had a bad experience with Amazon, but I've never bought anything like this from them before, either.

Huh. My mistake.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby reformed calvinist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

Get a decent automatic. Japanese movement watches are great and inexpensive-Seiko, Orient. If you have an heirloom watch, that's great, but avoid wearing an IWC lest you look like a douche

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby Systematic1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 am

Image
dig it. little steep at $2100 though.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Postby top30man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:27 am

flem wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Not credited until you find out who actually makes the watch?
It's probably Movado or some other TTT company.

flem wrote:lolwut
Who the fuck would pay 12K for that POS
Buy watches from quality watch makers, not fashion houses

:roll: :roll: :roll:
....You guys do realize that LV owns some of the major "quality watch makers" (ie. Tag Huer, Hublot, Bulgari, Zenith, Chaumet, even Marc Jacobs) How does buying from one of their subsidiaries somehow justify a purchase more than buying directly through them? I stand by my initial conclusion. That watch is dope.


Fantastic bump!

Also, all the "major quality watch makers" you listed are also SPS.

Unless you're trolling, in which case, not bad.

My favorite part is Marc Jacobs on this list.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest