Watches as a lawyer Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
psm11

Bronze

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Post by psm11 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote: Panerais are useless. Standard ETA movement. Do don't even really do any significant modifications. You're paying for the aesthetic and to look like a 2nd year Wall Street Analyst.

An Audemars Piguet on the other hand...

*drools*
I love Panerais and I don't think I would care if they didn't keep perfect time. I'm also a fan of IWC watches.

--ImageRemoved--
I just don't see the point in spending multiple thousands of dollars if it's not going to have a durable and accurate movement that lasts for a long period of time. At that point you're just paying for a fashion accessory for your wrist. The only exception I can think of is if you need a solidly engineered watch for extreme environments. I'm much more of a fan of Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Ulysse Nardin on the high end. The latter two can be purchased on ebay for $400-600 if you look.
any more info on those $400 Jaeger-LeCoultre watches??

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon May 07, 2012 5:56 pm

psm11 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote: Panerais are useless. Standard ETA movement. Do don't even really do any significant modifications. You're paying for the aesthetic and to look like a 2nd year Wall Street Analyst.

An Audemars Piguet on the other hand...

*drools*
I love Panerais and I don't think I would care if they didn't keep perfect time. I'm also a fan of IWC watches.

--ImageRemoved--
I just don't see the point in spending multiple thousands of dollars if it's not going to have a durable and accurate movement that lasts for a long period of time. At that point you're just paying for a fashion accessory for your wrist. The only exception I can think of is if you need a solidly engineered watch for extreme environments. I'm much more of a fan of Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Ulysse Nardin on the high end. The latter two can be purchased on ebay for $400-600 if you look.
any more info on those $400 Jaeger-LeCoultre watches??
Knock yourself out:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Wristwatches-/3 ... =100&rt=nc

The concern for fakes is obviously important, but if you have a local wristwatch guy in your town who's willing to verify, and you're dealing with a high profile ebay user, I think you can minimize your issues.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon May 07, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't know if I should create a new thread for this, but does anyone know if there's a preference in law firms between eyeglasses or monocles?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon May 07, 2012 6:33 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Currently rock this at work (business, not law):

--ImageRemoved--

It's an Orient Ray. Automatic movement, pretty sweet. And surprisingly cheap.
Orient watches are pretty solid and are some of the best automatics out there when it comes to bang for your buck. I recently picked up this: Image

Picture doesn't really do it justice, but pretty happy with it and I love being able to see the movements of the watch (at least gives me something to stare at while in boring meetings).

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Orient watches are pretty solid and are some of the best automatics out there when it comes to bang for your buck. I recently picked up this: Image

Picture doesn't really do it justice, but pretty happy with it and I love being able to see the movements of the watch (at least gives me something to stare at while in boring meetings).
I love the gold trim and brown leather strap look in a watch. No matter if the watch is $100 or $5,000, if it's done well the watch will always look good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

yeah I've wanted to get that one too... and for the exact same reason lol

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 pm

any more info on those $400 Jaeger-LeCoultre watches??[/quote]
Knock yourself out:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Wristwatches-/3 ... =100&rt=nc

The concern for fakes is obviously important, but if you have a local wristwatch guy in your town who's willing to verify, and you're dealing with a high profile ebay user, I think you can minimize your issues.[/quote]

Still can't find any Jaegers for 400-600. All I've seen are some extremely vintage ones that are quartz and in terrible condition (obvsly being sold for parts) on ebay. Like I said before I don't believe there are any legit Jaegers being sold for 400-600 bucks. Entry level Jaeger is at least 6-7k and I don't see anyone selling one for 5-6k off retail price. Even if you go with a gray market Jaeger (one not sold by an authorized dealer) you're only going to save maybe a grand or maybe 2 at the most.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Hey guys, so most of your watches are pretty expensive... I was looking at either
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SS ... d_i=507846

or http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Mens-Quartz ... bs_watch_1

which one is better?

The first one by a long shot, 7s26b auto >>> quartz, and all other features are comparable. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the bang for the buck with a seiko 5.

Also, lol @ the Movado & U-boat suggestions. Those brands are a joke to any serious watch enthusiast.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm

My current grail:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:04 am

leobowski wrote:My current grail:

love it. great watch and great brand.

pbfoot

Bronze

Post by pbfoot » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

High school graduation gift from my parents, survived four years of undergrad and will be the daily for the foreseeable future.
--ImageRemoved--

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 pm

pbfoot wrote:High school graduation gift from my parents, survived four years of undergrad and will be the daily for the foreseeable future.
--ImageRemoved--
hell of a graduation gift.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:51 am

leobowski wrote:
joetheplumber wrote:Hey guys, so most of your watches are pretty expensive... I was looking at either

which one is better?

The first one by a long shot, 7s26b auto >>> quartz, and all other features are comparable. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the bang for the buck with a seiko 5.

Also, lol @ the Movado & U-boat suggestions. Those brands are a joke to any serious watch enthusiast.
This coming from the guy who probably wears a $100 Fossil purchased at Macys. I'll agree that U-Boat is a brand that people either love or hate but I certainly wouldn't call it a joke, let alone group it with Movado. As a U-Boat owner and watch enthusiast the U Boats produced today have moved from a fashion piece to a quality time piece. Current U Boats are made with high quality sapphire crystal, handmade and great quality italian leather straps, and feature automatic movement (Many of their more expensive pieces feature exotic materials found in other high end brands like titanium, gold, black titanium, and sterling silver).Im sure you'll say it's just a basic ETA movement (other high end brands like Bell & Ross and Panerai use basic ETA movements also--would you call them a joke?) nonetheless it's a a great movement and I have yet to have any problems with it. For what they offer and their current price point (I got my classico from my AD for around $1800) it's a great watch to buy as one of your first higher end time pieces. Of course they are not going to be as sophisticated as an Omega or Panerai but you are going to have to spend 4k+ for either of those.

I think it's quite an overstatement to say U-Boats are a joke considering the popularity they are gaining and the materials used to make them. Every time I wear mine I constantly get compliments and am asked about it (it's a great conversation piece). I'll bet that someone wearing a UBoat will get a lot more compliments than someone wearing a Seiko. However, you are entitled to your opinion but, like I said before, one should buy a watch because they like it--as they will be the one wearing it all the time. I love my U Boat and am happy to wear it and it works great for many occasions.

It is also worth mentioning that UBoat doesn't spend any money on advertising or marketing and rely solely on people seeing their watches in boutiques or others wearing them to drive sales. Despite that they are a fast growing brand all over the world and have attracted the likes of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Tom Cruise. Arnold Schwarzenegger is well known watch enthusiast, owning many rare and expensive pieces, (PAM 341 Radiomir Egiziano worth about 40k and countless Audemar Piguets many of which were made just for him) and he wears U-Boat all the time. In fact, at Basel World 2012 Italo Fontana presented him with a titanium u-42.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

leobowski wrote:

which one is better?

spend about $30 more and go for one of these... Seriously Orient Makos are probably the best value automatic watches you can get. Very accurate time keeping (comparable much more $$ watches), unique and awesome presentation, and i got mine for under $100.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:

spend about $30 more and go for one of these... Seriously Orient Makos are probably the best value automatic watches you can get. Very accurate time keeping (comparable much more $$ watches), unique and awesome presentation, and i got mine for under $100.
Personally, I hate watches that obviously just imitate the submariner.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:01 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

Personally, I hate watches that obviously just imitate the submariner.
Dude, the Mako has a totally distinct look compared to the Sub. BTW, can't go wrong with an Orient Mako (or Ray, which I posted earlier). In house auto movement, actually functions as a divers watch should (water resistance, lume, screw down crowns, solid bezel), sub $200.

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah the Patek, AP and the newer Milles are very nice, even some Omegas along with Blancpain. There are some new watchmakers out there with some amazing complications now, Mille being one of them. I personally love the Patek world time with or without the cloisonne face, both stunning pieces. For a conversation starter you could get an old school Rolex bubbleback.

But for a decent starter watch I don't think you could go wrong with this

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL8000-03 ... 699&sr=8-1

A great watch, dual time various other features, solar powered and looks great in the flesh and is super reliable.

P.S. on the gun.....HK P7M8...beautiful, compact, accurate as hell, flawless reliability. As long as we are talking, I might as well mention the shotty a Benelli Super 90 M1 Tactical...another great piece.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:08 am

laxbrah420 wrote:I don't know if I should create a new thread for this, but does anyone know if there's a preference in law firms between eyeglasses or monocles?
Lol

Jacky D.

New

Post by Jacky D. » Fri May 18, 2012 4:16 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:Seriously, though, the Jaeger Lecoultre Ultra Thin is a steal at just over 5k.
+1

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri May 18, 2012 4:27 pm

No one is actually serious about spending over $5k on a watch are they? If I am lucky enough to work BigLaw, I am setting my budget for a watch at less than half of that and ideally would like to spend no more than about $1500.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 18, 2012 4:46 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:No one is actually serious about spending over $5k on a watch are they? If I am lucky enough to work BigLaw, I am setting my budget for a watch at less than half of that and ideally would like to spend no more than about $1500.
People spend on what's important to them. If I had the funds, I wouldn't hesitate to drop $3K or $4K on a Breitling or a TAG or something like that. But there's plenty of other stuff I won't spend a penny more on than I have to. But I think a good watch is one of the best accessories for a guy to have.

When I was in sales, I always looked not at the clothes a client was wearing, but at the shoes and / or the watch. Sometime people would come in wearing clothes that weren't very expensive, but a $15K or $20K watch.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 pm

kalvano wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:No one is actually serious about spending over $5k on a watch are they? If I am lucky enough to work BigLaw, I am setting my budget for a watch at less than half of that and ideally would like to spend no more than about $1500.
People spend on what's important to them. If I had the funds, I wouldn't hesitate to drop $3K or $4K on a Breitling or a TAG or something like that. But there's plenty of other stuff I won't spend a penny more on than I have to. But I think a good watch is one of the best accessories for a guy to have.

When I was in sales, I always looked not at the clothes a client was wearing, but at the shoes and / or the watch. Sometime people would come in wearing clothes that weren't very expensive, but a $15K or $20K watch.
I mean, I guess to each their own. It just seems wild that someone would spend that much money on a watch when they could save that money towards putting a down payment on a house, condo, etc.

Jacky D.

New

Post by Jacky D. » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Considering that a watch should be the only jewelry a man wears other than his wedding ring, paying a decent amount (See: more than $2,000) for a watch that'll last really isn't that ridiculous of an investment. These watches also make touching family heirlooms. Passing down a timepiece from father to son loses something when it's a Casio.

Wearing a luxury watch isn't just about telling time, we have cell phones for that now. Your watch makes a statement about you. I would imagine working with some of the country's most successful men and women, you'll run into plenty of people with a basic knowledge on watches. I would suggest having a decent watch for the same reason I would suggest shaving for an interview: do no harm. Although many people won't care about that POS Timex on your wrist*, someone who does notice it is a lot more likely to have a negative reaction than a positive one.

*This is not true. Everyone will notice that POS Timex on your wrist, and judge you accordingly.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Jacky D. wrote:Considering that a watch should be the only jewelry a man wears other than his wedding ring, paying a decent amount (See: more than $2,000) for a watch that'll last really isn't that ridiculous of an investment. These watches also make touching family heirlooms. Passing down a timepiece from father to son loses something when it's a Casio.

Wearing a luxury watch isn't just about telling time, we have cell phones for that now. Your watch makes a statement about you. I would imagine working with some of the country's most successful men and women, you'll run into plenty of people with a basic knowledge on watches. I would suggest having a decent watch for the same reason I would suggest shaving for an interview: do no harm. Although many people won't care about that POS Timex on your wrist*, someone who does notice it is a lot more likely to have a negative reaction than a positive one.

*This is not true. Everyone will notice that POS Timex on your wrist, and judge you accordingly.
This is true. I was getting ready to say why the fuck don't you all just get an iPhone for gods sake. Watches are outdated but I see what your saying here.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm

As someone who works in biglaw, I would advise against purchasing a watch for interviews. While we might take issue with a plastic Casio, a flashy watch can also be a negative. No watch is safest for interviews and summers.

FWIW, few people get a fancy watch until they make partner.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”