Year off before law school and employment

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
psm11

Year off before law school and employment

Postby psm11 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:42 am

I am not enrolling in law school this year due to the fact that I was only admitted to a T4 (Duquesne in Pittsburgh) and want to give the LSAT another try and really put all I can into it. Since I will be sitting this year out I have mass mailed my resume to employers and have yet to receive anything. As of now it looks like I will be landscaping all summer and quite possibly the fall until something, if anything, in my field comes about. What I am worried about is some advice I got the other night when I went and heard a judge speak at an event. At the event he took some questions and I asked him "if one is taking a year off before law school to retake the LSAT and can only secure compensated employment doing manual labor jobs like landscaping, waiting tables, etc., should they just suck it up and do the work and save the money for school?" His response was something like this, "You always need to keep your eye on the prize. If you want to be a lawyer you should take jobs that will give you experience in the field. If that means working for free than you should do it because it may pay off big time in the future--make connections, have a foot in the door when it comes to hiring etc." After hearing this I was kind of shocked. I'd say most people can't afford to sit a year doing an unpaid internship or volunteer when they have undergrad loans and need to make money for school the following year. My honest reaction was that this guy was a bit out of touch.

Is it really a big deal if I spend this year doing jobs like landscaping, where I can actually earn some cash for school, as opposed to doing some internship at a law office or something getting experience (experience I'm sure meaning administrative stuff and not actual legal experience)?

AffordablePrep

Re: Year off before law school and employment

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun May 06, 2012 1:47 am

No, the judge is wrong. He doesn't work in law school admissions, and hasn't dealt with it in decades over which it's changed significantly.

He's right in saying that legal connections are important, but wrong in saying this is what you should do particularly if you need money.

A better LSAT score is the best thing for employment long term.

Also, landscaping can help you with admissions, because it shows humility, work ethic and is somewhat unique - much better than waiting tables.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:05 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:No, the judge is wrong. He doesn't work in law school admissions, and hasn't dealt with it in decades over which it's changed significantly.

He's right in saying that legal connections are important, but wrong in saying this is what you should do particularly if you need money.

Also, landscaping can help you with admissions, because it shows humility, work ethic and is somewhat unique - much better than waiting tables.

Thanks for the reply. The only reasoning I'm doing it is because it something I can get paid for immediately--haha I definitely didn't aspire to do it.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 pm

psm11 wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:No, the judge is wrong. He doesn't work in law school admissions, and hasn't dealt with it in decades over which it's changed significantly.

Thanks for the reply. The only reasoning I'm doing it is because it something I can get paid for immediately--haha I definitely didn't aspire to do it.

Absolutely. Doing what you need to do to make money is important. The fact is if you only got into a t-4 you have a lot of work to do, and need to bring up your LSAT 15+ points, and do whatever you can to do this.

Also you may not be confined to menial work for the entire year. I'm a big fan of letting life play out. I think if you're personable and competent at your menial job, things can materialize into a better job through people you meet on the job or just through your day.

I had a menial job (cab driving), and I met plenty of people while driving and really developed my social skills and wound up getting several part time jobs in accordance with skills I actually had while driving, and ultimately got my life in order during this time. Feel free to PM me if you need any advise.

I actually think cab driving was amazing in that everyone takes cabs, and I was very sheltered and felt unable to communicate with many different kinds of people and was also at a low point in my life confidence wise. I basically learned how similar a cleaning woman can be to a v-15 partner, and developed the ability to make conversation and a connection with anyone. This skill really changed my entire life. All I've ever learned from internships personally is how to be used and unpaid - granted these were in non-law related fields.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:29 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
psm11 wrote:

Absolutely. Doing what you need to do to make money is important. The fact is if you only got into a t-4 you have a lot of work to do, and need to bring up your LSAT 15+ points, and do whatever you can to do this.

Also you may not be confined to menial work for the entire year. I'm a big fan of letting life play out. I think if you're personable and competent at your menial job, things can materialize into a better job through people you meet on the job or just through your day.

I had a menial job (cab driving), and I met plenty of people while driving and really developed my social skills and wound up getting several part time jobs in accordance with skills I actually had while driving, and ultimately got my life in order during this time. Feel free to PM me if you need any advise.

I actually think cab driving was amazing in that everyone takes cabs, and I was very sheltered and felt unable to communicate with many different kinds of people and was also at a low point in my life confidence wise. I basically learned how similar a cleaning woman can be to a v-15 partner, and developed the ability to make conversation and a connection with anyone. This skill really changed my entire life. All I've ever learned from internships personally is how to be used and unpaid - granted these were in non-law related fields.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yeah I have a 3.6 LSDAS GPA but only got a 150 on the LSAT and figured I can do much better if I really buckle down and study.

Jacky D.

Postby Jacky D. » Sun May 06, 2012 3:19 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:Also, landscaping can help you with admissions, because it shows humility, work ethic and is somewhat unique - much better than waiting tables.

Agree 100%. I've worked a fair share of menial jobs and had a great conversation with someone in a T-14 financial aid office about it and how working those jobs develops a real appreciation for the opportunity to go to law school. That conversation was crucial in negotiating for a higher scholarship offer the following week. Adcomms like to see things like that because it does make you stand out.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun May 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Jacky D. wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:Also, landscaping can help you with admissions, because it shows humility, work ethic and is somewhat unique - much better than waiting tables.

Agree 100%. I've worked a fair share of menial jobs and had a great conversation with someone in a T-14 financial aid office about it and how working those jobs develops a real appreciation for the opportunity to go to law school. That conversation was crucial in negotiating for a higher scholarship offer the following week. Adcomms like to see things like that because it does make you stand out.

i also think particularly in law a lot of people had other dreams they bypassed for practicality particularly considering it was more of a sure thing back in the day. being a waiter is legit boring, and nobody will care but things like bartending, etc. are conversation starters. the only drawback with cab driving was people were expecting crazy stories, but there weren't any. most people are just really normal and the same. there were some desperate housewife kind of people who would tip me to help them carry their groceries in, and maybe fix something around the house after i dropped them off, but i'd imagine that's more about the fact i was a safe looking kid who obviously didn't have a lot of money. the main thing i learned was how nice most people are, and how little people judge you based on superficial stuff like income if you're not dating them. i had thought initially i'd be treated like trash and disrespected, but this wasn't the case except for one senior citizen late for her bingo tournament.

interfaqiez

Postby interfaqiez » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Jacky D. wrote:

although maybe i'm late in this discussion but this two guys having good suggest from their experience and what jacky D said about landscaping in above that was great suggestion i think...

Return to “Law School FAQ”