Learning to Talk About Sports...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Just tell the hiring partner, "LeBron sucks." He'll know what you're talking about.

DoctorShawHi
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby DoctorShawHi » Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I've heard that being able to talk about sports (football/basketball/baseball) is pretty important for social networking in law school. I've never been that interested in national or college teams, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to start. I'm not completely adverse to sports (did quite a few myself in high school). I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc. Networking is very important to me though and I'd say I'm interested enough.

Also, is baseball really all that important to know about? I've gone to a few national games, but sitting through a game on t.v. is terrible. Football and basketball would probably be the best fit for me.


baseball ain't all that.

if you dont like sports though, you're probably gonna suck at talking about it because your heart aint gonna be in it. did you play anything as a kid?

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I never understood why one would have to learn sports to make for conversation. I frankly don't give a damn about football, basketball, baseball, etc. I only did one sport in my life and did it competitively--kickboxing. I never had the time to learn the stats of other sports, as I was only focused on mine; and, frankly I thought learning stats was a complete waste of time unless you were making a living off of it i.e. gambling or coach. If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.) Why not try to make what you do in your life interesting? Hell, I'd be more interested in someone who told me about their basket weaving hobby than shooting useless stats. You can tell if someone is not passionate about a sport, you can tell if they are faking it. So, when someone asks you about baseball or whatever sport in which you're uninterested, say so and lead the discussion elsewhere; don't be a follower and learn to talk about sports for the sake of getting by or god-forbid impressing your coworkers. In other words, be confident in yourself, be a leader, and grow some huevos.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Applying_Late wrote:I never understood why one would have to learn sports to make for conversation. I frankly don't give a damn about football, basketball, baseball, etc. I only did one sport in my life and did it competitively--kickboxing. I never had the time to learn the stats of other sports, as I was only focused on mine; and, frankly I thought learning stats was a complete waste of time unless you were making a living off of it i.e. gambling or coach. If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.) Why not try to make what you do in your life interesting? Hell, I'd be more interested in someone who told me about their basket weaving hobby than shooting useless stats. You can tell if someone is not passionate about a sport, you can tell if they are faking it. So, when someone asks you about baseball or whatever sport in which you're uninterested, say so and lead the discussion elsewhere; don't be a follower and learn to talk about sports for the sake of getting by or god-forbid impressing your coworkers. In other words, be confident in yourself, be a leader, and grow some huevos.
"But enough about your stupid interests; let's talk about me."

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:I never understood why one would have to learn sports to make for conversation. I frankly don't give a damn about football, basketball, baseball, etc. I only did one sport in my life and did it competitively--kickboxing. I never had the time to learn the stats of other sports, as I was only focused on mine; and, frankly I thought learning stats was a complete waste of time unless you were making a living off of it i.e. gambling or coach. If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.) Why not try to make what you do in your life interesting? Hell, I'd be more interested in someone who told me about their basket weaving hobby than shooting useless stats. You can tell if someone is not passionate about a sport, you can tell if they are faking it. So, when someone asks you about baseball or whatever sport in which you're uninterested, say so and lead the discussion elsewhere; don't be a follower and learn to talk about sports for the sake of getting by or god-forbid impressing your coworkers. In other words, be confident in yourself, be a leader, and grow some huevos.
"But enough about your stupid interests; let's talk about me."


Why not? If it's more interesting than a baseball/football/basketball game, I see no problem directing the conversation even to yourself. I'd rather tell them about the last time I had to pop a pimple on my forehead, as learning to talk about sports is just as useless. And if they had to do it, then I find them pathetic and probably would rather continue working and billing more hours or hell maybe even jerking off, as at least that gives me more pleasure.

You can say "Hey I am sorry man I don't really follow this sport, sorry." You can choose a few options. If you want them to talk, have them talk about their favorite teams, perhaps even "teach" you about it. It'll make them think they are special. If you want to show some leadership, direct the conversation elsewhere.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:21 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:You don't need to talk about every sport. I'd pick football, one that you can actually like, and if those two don't fill the year, pick another. Then, which ever sport is the most popular at the time, look a bit at the standings and the top stats. Then, determine one of the players on the top teams actually sucks. Or one of the best players on the worst teams sucks. Or one of the players on Boston actually sucks. "I hate him". "He's overrated". "FUCK him". For networking, you might want to learn some owner's names. "Dan Snyder is such a prat. They'll never be good with him, I actually feel bad!".

I saw some posts that weren't this. I just want to reiterate: talking sports is just trash talking. "Holy shit. I can't fucking believe the Clippers got a win after that shitty free throw shooting. What bums"

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Ludo! » Sun May 06, 2012 12:12 am

Applying_Late wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:I never understood why one would have to learn sports to make for conversation. I frankly don't give a damn about football, basketball, baseball, etc. I only did one sport in my life and did it competitively--kickboxing. I never had the time to learn the stats of other sports, as I was only focused on mine; and, frankly I thought learning stats was a complete waste of time unless you were making a living off of it i.e. gambling or coach. If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.) Why not try to make what you do in your life interesting? Hell, I'd be more interested in someone who told me about their basket weaving hobby than shooting useless stats. You can tell if someone is not passionate about a sport, you can tell if they are faking it. So, when someone asks you about baseball or whatever sport in which you're uninterested, say so and lead the discussion elsewhere; don't be a follower and learn to talk about sports for the sake of getting by or god-forbid impressing your coworkers. In other words, be confident in yourself, be a leader, and grow some huevos.
"But enough about your stupid interests; let's talk about me."


Why not? If it's more interesting than a baseball/football/basketball game, I see no problem directing the conversation even to yourself. I'd rather tell them about the last time I had to pop a pimple on my forehead, as learning to talk about sports is just as useless. And if they had to do it, then I find them pathetic and probably would rather continue working and billing more hours or hell maybe even jerking off, as at least that gives me more pleasure.

You can say "Hey I am sorry man I don't really follow this sport, sorry." You can choose a few options. If you want them to talk, have them talk about their favorite teams, perhaps even "teach" you about it. It'll make them think they are special. If you want to show some leadership, direct the conversation elsewhere.


What are you into that's so interesting? Besides pimple popping and jerking off?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Mike12188 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
What are you into that's so interesting? Besides pimple popping and jerking off?


Clearly jerking off to Bloodsport

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:I never understood why one would have to learn sports to make for conversation. I frankly don't give a damn about football, basketball, baseball, etc. I only did one sport in my life and did it competitively--kickboxing. I never had the time to learn the stats of other sports, as I was only focused on mine; and, frankly I thought learning stats was a complete waste of time unless you were making a living off of it i.e. gambling or coach. If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.) Why not try to make what you do in your life interesting? Hell, I'd be more interested in someone who told me about their basket weaving hobby than shooting useless stats. You can tell if someone is not passionate about a sport, you can tell if they are faking it. So, when someone asks you about baseball or whatever sport in which you're uninterested, say so and lead the discussion elsewhere; don't be a follower and learn to talk about sports for the sake of getting by or god-forbid impressing your coworkers. In other words, be confident in yourself, be a leader, and grow some huevos.
"But enough about your stupid interests; let's talk about me."


Why not? If it's more interesting than a baseball/football/basketball game, I see no problem directing the conversation even to yourself. I'd rather tell them about the last time I had to pop a pimple on my forehead, as learning to talk about sports is just as useless. And if they had to do it, then I find them pathetic and probably would rather continue working and billing more hours or hell maybe even jerking off, as at least that gives me more pleasure.

You can say "Hey I am sorry man I don't really follow this sport, sorry." You can choose a few options. If you want them to talk, have them talk about their favorite teams, perhaps even "teach" you about it. It'll make them think they are special. If you want to show some leadership, direct the conversation elsewhere.

uh..

User avatar
bmore_md
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bmore_md » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I've heard that being able to talk about sports (football/basketball/baseball) is pretty important for social networking in law school. I've never been that interested in national or college teams, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to start. I'm not completely adverse to sports (did quite a few myself in high school). I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc. Networking is very important to me though and I'd say I'm interested enough.

Also, is baseball really all that important to know about? I've gone to a few national games, but sitting through a game on t.v. is terrible. Football and basketball would probably be the best fit for me.


Your use of the term "national teams" is odd, incorrect, and tells me you should never try to talk about sports. You will just come off as an idiot. Juts talk about things that interest you.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby thelawyler » Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 am

bmore_md wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I've heard that being able to talk about sports (football/basketball/baseball) is pretty important for social networking in law school. I've never been that interested in national or college teams, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to start. I'm not completely adverse to sports (did quite a few myself in high school). I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc. Networking is very important to me though and I'd say I'm interested enough.

Also, is baseball really all that important to know about? I've gone to a few national games, but sitting through a game on t.v. is terrible. Football and basketball would probably be the best fit for me.


Your use of the term "national teams" is odd, incorrect, and tells me you should never try to talk about sports. You will just come off as an idiot. Juts talk about things that interest you.

He obviously has a soccer background (notice his Liverpool avatar? lol) where national teams means USA, Brazil, Italy, Spain, etc. Think World Cup. A real sports fan would clearly have recognized this... ;)

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon May 07, 2012 3:06 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Just tell the hiring partner, "LeBron sucks." He'll know what you're talking about.



yea, if he knows anything about basketball he'll think you're an idiot

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Nova » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Just tell the hiring partner, "LeBron sucks." He'll know what you're talking about.


Egregious anti-Lebron trolling. Thats like saying Harvard sucks.


OP, follow football and focus on whoever plays nearest to you.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby paratactical » Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 am

thelawyler wrote:
bmore_md wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I've heard that being able to talk about sports (football/basketball/baseball) is pretty important for social networking in law school. I've never been that interested in national or college teams, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to start. I'm not completely adverse to sports (did quite a few myself in high school). I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc. Networking is very important to me though and I'd say I'm interested enough.

Also, is baseball really all that important to know about? I've gone to a few national games, but sitting through a game on t.v. is terrible. Football and basketball would probably be the best fit for me.


Your use of the term "national teams" is odd, incorrect, and tells me you should never try to talk about sports. You will just come off as an idiot. Juts talk about things that interest you.

He obviously has a soccer background (notice his Liverpool avatar? lol) where national teams means USA, Brazil, Italy, Spain, etc. Think World Cup. A real sports fan would clearly have recognized this... ;)

What are you talking about? That avatar is from comic book, jabroni.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby JustE » Mon May 07, 2012 10:52 am

I clearly haven't read everything. If you're up early, turn on the 6am SportsCenter, if you're up late, fall asleep to the 11pm edition. It's really as simple as that. It will allow you to keep up with current events and hold a decent convo.

Good luck!

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Birdnals » Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 am

Applying_Late,
Did you happen to participate in any other obscure activities? I find relating to people is best done by discussing matters in which only one participant in the conversation knows/cares about. I vastly prefer talking at somebody as opposed to talking with them. If they can’t appreciate how fucking interesting I am, then they are probably ugly and illiterate.

ETA: On subject though, record Around The Horn or Pardon the Interruption and put it on in the background when you are at home doing other things. The columnists are interesting/funny and cover all the major sports events. Also if you read the first couple pages of the local paper’s sports section that will be what most people talk about.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Birdnals wrote:Applying_Late,
Did you happen to participate in any other obscure activities? I find relating to people is best done by discussing matters in which only one participant in the conversation knows/cares about. I vastly prefer talking at somebody as opposed to talking with them. If they can’t appreciate how fucking interesting I am, then they are probably ugly and illiterate.

ETA: On subject though, record Around The Horn or Pardon the Interruption and put it on in the background when you are at home doing other things. The columnists are interesting/funny and cover all the major sports events. Also if you read the first couple pages of the local paper’s sports section that will be what most people talk about.

:lol:
When somebody else starts talking, I usually just stare at their eyes and hope they finish whatever the fuck they're saying so I can tell a much more interesting story.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Applying_Late,
Did you happen to participate in any other obscure activities? I find relating to people is best done by discussing matters in which only one participant in the conversation knows/cares about. I vastly prefer talking at somebody as opposed to talking with them. If they can’t appreciate how fucking interesting I am, then they are probably ugly and illiterate.

ETA: On subject though, record Around The Horn or Pardon the Interruption and put it on in the background when you are at home doing other things. The columnists are interesting/funny and cover all the major sports events. Also if you read the first couple pages of the local paper’s sports section that will be what most people talk about.

:lol:
When somebody else starts talking, I usually just stare at their eyes and hope they finish whatever the fuck they're saying so I can tell a much more interesting story.


Have you tried the walk off, use the restroom, freshen up your drink, and then return strategy? That's the one I prefer.

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Meh, I thought with the NFL (National Football League) and the NBA (National Basketball Association) that it would be fine to refer to various teams that were with those organizations as "national teams". Of course they don't say represent America against Belgium.


As for obscure sports, I don't think the baton twirling I did as a kid will impress too many. They should be impressed though. I could (and still can) set special ones on fire at the ends and twirl them in my mouth. 8)

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TyrionLannister » Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Just tell the hiring partner, "LeBron sucks." He'll know what you're talking about.



yea, if he knows anything about basketball he'll think you're an idiot


Or it just means you are from Cleveland.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Meh, I thought with the NFL (National Football League) and the NBA (National Basketball Association) that it would be fine to refer to various teams that were with those organizations as "national teams". Of course they don't say represent America against Belgium.


As for obscure sports, I don't think the baton twirling I did as a kid will impress too many. They should be impressed though. I could (and still can) set special ones on fire at the ends and twirl them in my mouth. 8)

"Pro" was the word you were looking for

Getting a kid involved with baton twirling is child abuse IMO.

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TyrionLannister » Mon May 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Applying_Late wrote: If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.)


Yeah, successful people hate talking about stuff that interests them. What they really want is someone to come in with an arrogant attitude towards their hobbies and completely divert every conversation towards stuff that the majority of partners/associates couldn't give a shit about.

Partner: "Jesus, the Skins mortgaged their fucking future to get RG3, that kid better not suck."
You: "You know what doesn't suck? Competitive kickboxing."

Brilliant plan.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon May 07, 2012 1:06 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Meh, I thought with the NFL (National Football League) and the NBA (National Basketball Association) that it would be fine to refer to various teams that were with those organizations as "national teams". Of course they don't say represent America against Belgium.


Yea, definitely don't talk about sports to network. You really don't have to though. If you say the bolded and are pretty, guys will probably think you're adorable for trying, but will assume you don''t know shit about sports.

But, if you truly want to learn about sports in general, just watch some of the games. You said you are pretty, so guys will want to hang with you regardless (unless you are super annoying and loud), if you just watch the games and ask questions from time to time when you don''t understand, no one is going to scorn you, and will probably like the fact that you are genuinely interested.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:09 pm

I would file myself under the category of sports fanatic, and one of my least favorite things is when someone wants to engage in a sports conversation but winds up not being able to get through it. For example, if you watch ESPN for an hour you can mention how the Bulls are struggling without Derrick Rose. I'll probably come back and say how Deng and Boozer need to step up and how Gibson should start and how they need Noah back because Hawes went off in Game 4....etc. Most people who will bring up sports want to talk about it all the way through instead of just hitting a couple of basic talking points. As I imagine this is the case with most interests, you should just stick with things you are generally interested in.

I doubt many hiring partners are going to come in and just try to strike up a sports conversation with someone whose background doesn't suggest they would be interested in having that conversation. If someone wants to talk sports, they'll have no problem finding someone to do so with.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:34 pm

:lol: that's a continuation? "the guys who are not rose need to play better".

"also, they need to win".




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest