Learning to Talk About Sports...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 07, 2012 3:19 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Getting a kid involved with baton twirling is child abuse IMO.


Haha, what are you trolling me for? It's not child abuse unless you've got some crazy parent. But that goes for any sport. Yes, it involves shiny outfits, but who cares? It probably suffers some of the same reputation problems that figure skating does, but there is genuine athletic ability involved. Dance, extreme hand-eye coordination, the chance that you might get hit in the face with a incredibly fast rotating metal stick...good times.

For the non-believers:

U of W's Twirler (wait for it to start): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA_KTu8oTW4

FSU's fire baton twirler (her form is a little sloppy, but she's still pretty awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLSziGIC-g

Anyway, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I won't go crazy in trying to talk about sports with people at law school, but I'll just make sure I know more about what's going on.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Sorry I assumed you were male based on the 'tar. Perfectly fine for girls to do artsy stuff

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Tom Joad » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

I am a pretty big sports nut, but you realize people can casually talk sports without knowing everything there is to know. Especially if they are girls.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:30 pm

laxbrah420 wrote::lol: that's a continuation? "the guys who are not rose need to play better".

"also, they need to win".


For the sake of a brief example I felt it was good enough lol. If you want to talk about Rose, you should know who Deng is. You don't necessarily need to know who Craig Hodges was, but it's not a good idea to hit on a few quick talking points that you picked up reading the ticker on the bottom of the screen.

User avatar
bmore_md
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bmore_md » Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

JustE wrote:I clearly haven't read everything. If you're up early, turn on the 6am SportsCenter, if you're up late, fall asleep to the 11pm edition. It's really as simple as that. It will allow you to keep up with current events and hold a decent convo.

Good luck!


TBF, someone who parrots ESPN talking points will piss me off to no end.

User avatar
TIKITEMBO
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I am a pretty big sports nut, but you realize people can casually talk sports without knowing everything there is to know. Especially if they are girls.


Of course. Though some people seem to be saying to not even try, I agree with you.

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Birdnals wrote:Applying_Late,
Did you happen to participate in any other obscure activities? I find relating to people is best done by discussing matters in which only one participant in the conversation knows/cares about. I vastly prefer talking at somebody as opposed to talking with them. If they can’t appreciate how fucking interesting I am, then they are probably ugly and illiterate.


How is kickboxing obscure? How are any other interests beyond baseball/football/basketball obscure? (I don't have hard data on this but I would gander that pimple-popping is an activity that is participated in more than is baseball/football/basketball combined.) I never said that you are talking "at" somebody, as that sounds like a monologue. Conversations are two-way streets; monologues are one-way streets. If you have some iota of intelligence, I think you can manage to change the conversation into something in which you think both participants--speaker and listener--can engage. If the other party can't have any intelligent discussion beyond baseball/football/basketball, then they are probably illiterate and maybe even ugly.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I am a pretty big sports nut, but you realize people can casually talk sports without knowing everything there is to know. Especially if they are girls.


Of course. Though some people seem to be saying to not even try, I agree with you.

Again, don't listen to these losers. Ignore them. Strike them from your life. All you need to do is read standings and decide, arbitrarily, who is overrated and come up with a few points on how to back it up.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Tom Joad » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Applying_Late,
Did you happen to participate in any other obscure activities? I find relating to people is best done by discussing matters in which only one participant in the conversation knows/cares about. I vastly prefer talking at somebody as opposed to talking with them. If they can’t appreciate how fucking interesting I am, then they are probably ugly and illiterate.


How is kickboxing obscure? How are any other interests beyond baseball/football/basketball obscure? (I don't have hard data on this but I would gander that pimple-popping is an activity that is participated in more than is baseball/football/basketball combined.) I never said that you are talking "at" somebody, as that sounds like a monologue. Conversations are two-way streets; monologues are one-way streets. If you have some iota of intelligence, I think you can manage to change the conversation into something in which you think both participants--speaker and listener--can engage. If the other party can't have any intelligent discussion beyond baseball/football/basketball, then they are probably illiterate and maybe even ugly.

I think I speak for 99% of the population when I say that I would never want to be in a conversation about kickboxing, especially if the person talking about kickboxing is really serious about it.

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

TyrionLannister wrote:
Applying_Late wrote: If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.)


Yeah, successful people hate talking about stuff that interests them. What they really want is someone to come in with an arrogant attitude towards their hobbies and completely divert every conversation towards stuff that the majority of partners/associates couldn't give a shit about.

Partner: "Jesus, the Skins mortgaged their fucking future to get RG3, that kid better not suck."
You: "You know what doesn't suck? Competitive kickboxing."

Brilliant plan.


It's not a bad plan. If the partner can't handle it, I wouldn't want to be a part of that crowd. Just because they are a partner, doesn't really show they are successful and certainly doesn't show for intelligence. Throw me into a room with a law professor who was partner, and I bet he would enjoy being part of your play.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:44 pm

anybody who does martial arts is weird. anybody who chooses kickboxing as their weird form of fighting is even weirder.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Tom Joad » Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
TyrionLannister wrote:
Applying_Late wrote: If the old boys network can't handle talking about what you like, there is no reason to learn what they like. (For those who argue that there is a reason to learn what they like, well, then they are just admitting that you, and perhaps they, are weak.)


Yeah, successful people hate talking about stuff that interests them. What they really want is someone to come in with an arrogant attitude towards their hobbies and completely divert every conversation towards stuff that the majority of partners/associates couldn't give a shit about.

Partner: "Jesus, the Skins mortgaged their fucking future to get RG3, that kid better not suck."
You: "You know what doesn't suck? Competitive kickboxing."

Brilliant plan.


It's not a bad plan. If the partner can't handle it, I wouldn't want to be a part of that crowd. Just because they are a partner, doesn't really show they are successful and certainly doesn't show for intelligence. Throw me into a room with a law professor who was partner, and I bet he would enjoy being part of your play.

Boys and girls, we got trolled.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 07, 2012 3:51 pm

bmore_md wrote:
JustE wrote:I clearly haven't read everything. If you're up early, turn on the 6am SportsCenter, if you're up late, fall asleep to the 11pm edition. It's really as simple as that. It will allow you to keep up with current events and hold a decent convo.

Good luck!


TBF, someone who parrots ESPN talking points will piss me off to no end.

Especially if they have the misfortune of watching First Take and repeat some of the garbage that Skip Bayless says. God, that dude is so annoying.

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Mon May 07, 2012 3:54 pm

anybody who does martial arts is weird. anybody who chooses kickboxing as their weird form of fighting is even weirder

Ok and what are you basing this off of? Do you also think boxing or mma is weird?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Tom Joad » Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Lots of people super into MMA are weirdos.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 pm

you can also just learn to talk boxing which isn't weird, everyone respects, but few know anything about

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Applying_Late wrote:anybody who does martial arts is weird. anybody who chooses kickboxing as their weird form of fighting is even weirder

Ok and what are you basing this off of? Do you also think boxing or mma is weird?

sorry just saw this. I think Boxing might be the best bet here. Everyone wants to pretend like they know about boxing

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Applying_Late » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Lots of people super into MMA are weirdos.

And you don't think we can find murderers/sociopaths who are fanatics about baseball/football/basketball?

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:
bmore_md wrote:
JustE wrote:I clearly haven't read everything. If you're up early, turn on the 6am SportsCenter, if you're up late, fall asleep to the 11pm edition. It's really as simple as that. It will allow you to keep up with current events and hold a decent convo.

Good luck!


TBF, someone who parrots ESPN talking points will piss me off to no end.

Especially if they have the misfortune of watching First Take and repeat some of the garbage that Skip Bayless says. God, that dude is so annoying.


Skip treats every issue like it's the Watergate scandal and tends to double down when it looks like he's wrong, but overall I like the fact that he says what he thinks and just bases it off what he sees. Too many former players and even some analysts either have axes to grind or people that they need to keep happy and their views are thus colored.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bigeast03 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:anybody who does martial arts is weird. anybody who chooses kickboxing as their weird form of fighting is even weirder

Ok and what are you basing this off of? Do you also think boxing or mma is weird?

sorry just saw this. I think Boxing might be the best bet here. Everyone wants to pretend like they know about boxing


This only applies to Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fights

User avatar
bmore_md
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bmore_md » Mon May 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Big time MMA fans are definitely weirdos.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:04 pm

And I wouldn't worry too much about talking MMA. It has really taken off in the past few years and tends to draw a younger audience (18-35). Again, it's just one of those things where you're unlikely to find a casual MMA fan who just wants to shoot the breeze and drop a few names. Most of the fans I know are really into it and I won't even bring it up, even though I know a few things.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby Tom Joad » Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Applying_Late wrote:Lots of people super into MMA are weirdos.

And you don't think we can find murderers/sociopaths who are fanatics about baseball/football/basketball?

All I am saying is if a guy comes up to me and says, "Hi, my name is John and I like MMA" I am going to turn and go the other direction as fast as possible.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
bmore_md wrote:
JustE wrote:I clearly haven't read everything. If you're up early, turn on the 6am SportsCenter, if you're up late, fall asleep to the 11pm edition. It's really as simple as that. It will allow you to keep up with current events and hold a decent convo.

Good luck!


TBF, someone who parrots ESPN talking points will piss me off to no end.

Especially if they have the misfortune of watching First Take and repeat some of the garbage that Skip Bayless says. God, that dude is so annoying.


Skip treats every issue like it's the Watergate scandal and tends to double down when it looks like he's wrong, but overall I like the fact that he says what he thinks and just bases it off what he sees. Too many former players and even some analysts either have axes to grind or people that they need to keep happy and their views are thus colored.

Great, he says what he thinks, but once he becomes attached to an idea he will never shut his mouth and he yells at any one who has an opinion that differs from his own. And he thinks Tim Tebow is some sort of god, ugh.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 pm

First take is a bad show that bayless is a bad character on. He's fine in other mediums




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest