Learning to Talk About Sports...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TIKITEMBO

Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat May 05, 2012 10:35 am

So, I've heard that being able to talk about sports (football/basketball/baseball) is pretty important for social networking in law school. I've never been that interested in national or college teams, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to start. I'm not completely adverse to sports (did quite a few myself in high school). I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc. Networking is very important to me though and I'd say I'm interested enough.

Also, is baseball really all that important to know about? I've gone to a few national games, but sitting through a game on t.v. is terrible. Football and basketball would probably be the best fit for me.

zozin

Re: Learning to Talk About Sports...

Postby zozin » Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am

Watch games, ESPN, read newspapers... Sports is probably the easiest topic to shoot the shit about, since a. Always changes, so theres always something to talk about, b. a lot of people are passionate about it so it's a easy way to get them to open up.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat May 05, 2012 10:40 am

Read ESPN. This isn't rocket science.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 am

TIKITEMBO wrote: I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc.

wut

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 am

Yeah, watching ESPN is fine. It's just sometimes so involved though that the discussion just washes over me. I suppose I can just make sure I have the internet handy.

Any advice on how to find sports more interesting? I'm sure this comes off as snobby and elitist, so apologies. 8)

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 am

paratactical wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote: I've been a bit turned off by national teams because of the (perhaps false?) assumption that most of the team wearing a jersey for a particular state/city is not actually from that area/doesn't really care about the area/is only there for the money. There are also things like diva players/huge salaries etc.

wut

Are these things not true? I'm willing to be wrong.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat May 05, 2012 10:52 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:
Any advice on how to find sports more interesting? I'm sure this comes off as snobby and elitist, so apologies. 8)

It's possible that if you read more about it, you'll become more interested. I was never a huge football fan, but after going to a Big 10 school and going to some games, it became way more interesting.

If you understand the plays on a deeper level, it might be more action-packed than "will they just make a touch-down already?".

In addition, I'd say follow a team in your area. Some of the players and coaches have really interesting back stories. If you follow up on certain players, maybe you'll start to realize that they all aren't divas looking for a big paycheck (even though that is often true).

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat May 05, 2012 10:56 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:
paratactical wrote:

wut

No. Of course they're true. Do you work in an office because you super duper love management and their brand? Being a professional athlete is a job and you make better money the more successful you are. So of course they play where they can be good and where the money is good. And of course the salaries for the athletes are huge - but team owners and management make even more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the things you've mentioned and if you think there is a problem with that, you probably won't actually like professional sports and the people you're trying to network with will probably realize the insincerity of your attempts.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:24 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:
paratactical wrote:

wut

Who gives a flying fuck? It's entertainment. Are comic book fans supposed to believe that being Tony Stark really means something to Robert Downey Jr.?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 am

paratactical wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:
paratactical wrote:

wut

No. Of course they're true. Do you work in an office because you super duper love management and their brand? Being a professional athlete is a job and you make better money the more successful you are. So of course they play where they can be good and where the money is good. And of course the salaries for the athletes are huge - but team owners and management make even more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the things you've mentioned and if you think there is a problem with that, you probably won't actually like professional sports and the people you're trying to network with will probably realize the insincerity of your attempts.

Although the guys who stick with their home teams, such as Derrick Rose, and guys who take pay cuts to be a part of a franchise, such as Sidney Crosby, will develop huge followings and love from their areas. However, guys who go to the extremes to leave an area, like Lebron James, will be totally vilified and hated by everyone.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat May 05, 2012 11:53 am

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Sat May 05, 2012 11:55 am

Just strike up conversations about girls softball and you'll be fine.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat May 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:
paratactical wrote:

wut

Who gives a flying fuck? It's entertainment. Are comic book fans supposed to believe that being Tony Stark really means something to Robert Downey Jr.?

Okay, but Iron Man is vastly more entertaining to me than baseball. When people start playing baseball in robot suits with the ability to fly then we'll see.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Talking sports with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about or has no real interest in it is really annoying. If you're not interested, find something else cool to talk about that does interest you. If you're really committed to this, I think which sport to dedicate yourself to depends on which city you're in. Some places are more into certain sports than others.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 pm

this is an awful thread.. even the title.. awful.. watching espn and reading newspapers isnt going to help.. if anything doing this will make you sound even worse in a conversation when you inevitably say something that makes no sense ("yeah I saw LeBron's goal.. it was awesomeeee").. youre better off just being honest and trying to start a conversation about something that interests you

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat May 05, 2012 12:14 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Okay, but Iron Man is vastly more entertaining to me than baseball. When people start playing baseball in robot suits with the ability to fly then we'll see.

You'd be better off talking about comic books and Carcassonne than trying to talk sports. There are plenty of people out there who like that stuff. There are also plenty of people who like both sports and comics, but if you approach them with this "zomg sports are soooo stupid and boring" attitude you're not going to win any friends. Think positive. Take things you actually like and focus on them. Don't knock things you don't like - you don't want to be remembered as the person that had something bitchy to say about everything.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat May 05, 2012 12:17 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:Just strike up conversations about girls softball and you'll be fine.

So tcr.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 pm

You don't need to talk about every sport. I'd pick football, one that you can actually like, and if those two don't fill the year, pick another. Then, which ever sport is the most popular at the time, look a bit at the standings and the top stats. Then, determine one of the players on the top teams actually sucks. Or one of the best players on the worst teams sucks. Or one of the players on Boston actually sucks. "I hate him". "He's overrated". "FUCK him". For networking, you might want to learn some owner's names. "Dan Snyder is such a prat. They'll never be good with him, I actually feel bad!".

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 pm

The only thing that's really important is following your local teams. Like if you had an SA in Chicago this summer and said something like "Oh I've heard Derrick Rose is a good player, maybe the Bulls will win the Championship this year" you'd probably get no offered. Make sure you follow the big stories so you're not totally lost in conversation and you'll be fine. It's OK to not like sports.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat May 05, 2012 12:44 pm

If you are on;y worried about networking, there are a million things you can talk about with people, sports is not it. Just be interested in something you can talk about with other people. I have made friends at school and had conversations with partners at networking events about everything from sports to music to Star Wars to televisions to movies. Law school is no different from real life or undergrad, you can make friends/network the same way.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat May 05, 2012 12:47 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Yeah, watching ESPN is fine. It's just sometimes so involved though that the discussion just washes over me. I suppose I can just make sure I have the internet handy.

Do some background research, or grab your nearest sports nut and have him watch a game and explain things to you. Often it is more than the game itself that is exciting, but the story and background each time / player brings to the table, why each game is significant, etc. Really knowing the players really makes a difference.

And then, of course, you have to somehow get passionate by retaining ownership of a particular team. The above I was talking about just serves as a way to appreciate the sport and the game, but to get the full sporting experience, you have to find something you are passionate about.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:Talking sports with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about or has no real interest in it is really annoying. If you're not interested, find something else cool to talk about that does interest you. If you're really committed to this, I think which sport to dedicate yourself to depends on which city you're in. Some places are more into certain sports than others.

this is an awful thread.. even the title.. awful.. watching espn and reading newspapers isnt going to help.. if anything doing this will make you sound even worse in a conversation when you inevitably say something that makes no sense ("yeah I saw LeBron's goal.. it was awesomeeee").. youre better off just being honest and trying to start a conversation about something that interests you

Came here to say something exactly like this. The amount of time you would have to watch ESPN/different games/read sports columns to actually know what you are talking about would be a pretty huge time commitment. If you are half ass-ing it just so you think you sound like you know sports, trust me, you'll end up looking way worse than if you just kept your mouth shut. Unless you truly like watching sports, or just a certain sport, there's no sense in trying to force it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 pm

ilovesf wrote:Talking sports with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about or has no real interest in it is really annoying. If you're not interested, find something else cool to talk about that does interest you.

This. Talk about something else.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat May 05, 2012 1:12 pm

paratactical wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Okay, but Iron Man is vastly more entertaining to me than baseball. When people start playing baseball in robot suits with the ability to fly then we'll see.

You'd be better off talking about comic books and Carcassonne than trying to talk sports. There are plenty of people out there who like that stuff. There are also plenty of people who like both sports and comics, but if you approach them with this "zomg sports are soooo stupid and boring" attitude you're not going to win any friends. Think positive. Take things you actually like and focus on them. Don't knock things you don't like - you don't want to be remembered as the person that had something bitchy to say about everything.

Haha, I really hope I get the chance to bring up Preacher and TTR in interviews. Definitely I'd just talk to general law students though. Like-minded individuals on this site such as yourself have proved that's a solid topic for conversation in law school.

But, of course I agree on the other point. I'm completely capable of not letting on about my thoughts and politely just saying something like, "Oh, I don't really follow (insert sport here) much. Are you talking about a game from last week? Who was (team they're talking about) playing against?" And then using my general knowledge about sports to inquire about more. I wouldn't rag on their interest. I'm just being honest (only in this forum) about why I never personally got very interested.

I do feel like sometimes my lack of knowledge hurts me because I could be more informed and participate more in the conversation and that's why I feel like it'd be beneficial to know more.

top30man wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:Just strike up conversations about girls softball and you'll be fine.

So tcr.

Lesbian jokes, really? Please surrender your roofies.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice everyone. Looks like I'll have to start researching teams/players and their back stories. Are there any other general preference tips for choice? Sounds like geography, player history, coach history, and player ability are the places to look.

Edited: To clarify for some in this thread that I am not a complete reject when it comes to sports knowledge. I'm functional in conversation, I just don't know specifics about players and teams and I've just found it hard to motivate myself to learn more. I grew up in the country and a general knowledge of various types of popular sports might as well have been part of the curriculum. Sheesh. :roll:

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Sat May 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Why would you possibly do this? Can't you "socially network" by being a nice guy who is fairly interesting. I don't see why you would force yourself to do something solely to network in law school. Plus anyone that knows anything about sports will probably know that you don't know shit. I would highly advise against researching sports for interviews, it will make you look fake. If you are a nerdy dude that likes comics, there is nothing wrong with that. As someone that loves sports, I rarely talked about it during interviews, and when I did i was because I have a college sport on my resume.

Return to “Law School FAQ”