help me find a hobby!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
joetheplumber

help me find a hobby!

Postby joetheplumber » Fri May 04, 2012 4:20 am

So aside from school, all i do is play games and watch tv. How am i going to connect on a social lvl with judges and partners? What hobbies should i do??

Betharl

Re: help me find a hobby!

Postby Betharl » Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 am

Golf. Also, follow local pro-teams (and your college teams if your school has legit sports) so you can talk intelligently about them.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri May 04, 2012 4:28 am

joetheplumber wrote:So aside from school, all i do is play games and watch tv. How am i going to connect on a social lvl with judges and partners? What hobbies should i do??

Probably one you are interested in.

TomahawkChopper

Postby TomahawkChopper » Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 am

joetheplumber wrote:So aside from school, all i do is play games and watch tv. How am i going to connect on a social lvl with judges and partners? What hobbies should i do??

You sound dreadfully boring. What do you like to do? Swim, run, read, hike, kayak, bike, grow a garden, sail, volunteer, paint, draw, sketch, play an instrument, get involved religiously, write, discuss literature, volunteering, politics, fishing, hunting, current events, travel, explore, go cliff jumping, paintball, farmers markets. Whatever you want. I can go on forever.

Step 1: Discontinue cable (You can keep netflix if you must)
Step 2: Do something
Step 3: Profit???

To the guy who said follow your local sports team- please for the love of God find something more satisfying. There is no such thing as talking intelligently about a football game.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 am

TomahawkChopper wrote:There is no such thing as talking intelligently about a football game.

lol, no. In terms of the return on your time invested, following sports is probably one of the best things you can do. It's a great way to connect with attorneys, and can be picked up by just reading the local paper and watching ESPN. I mean, you should still strive to be a well-rounded person, but if we're just looking at utilizing your scarce time to best prepare you for interviews/callbacks, I'd put following the local team(s) near the top of the list.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:To the guy who said follow your local sports team- please for the love of God find something more satisfying. There is no such thing as talking intelligently about a football game.

You serious? At pre-interview events in UG I remember sports being a pretty major topic. Also, I've worked in consulting and trading, and at least 50% of the non-work related conversation was about sports. You don't need to be able to breakdown the games play by play or anything, by "talking intelligently" I just meant knowing what's going on with the season/who recently got injured or whatever. You really think you're going to be able to go to law school somewhere like Michigan or Notre Dame without alumni trying to talk to you about football? Knowing what's going on with local sports teams and staying up on current events are probably the best things you can do if you're going to have to shoot the crap at some mixer or networking event.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Get an interest instead of a hobby. Interests are free.

TomahawkChopper

Postby TomahawkChopper » Fri May 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Ok, fine. Sports are a good topic to make small talk with people you don't know. I'm not arguing that. I really like baseball and football.

But, the OP says he only goes to school and watches TV and plays video games. He is looking for hobbies. Adding "watching sports" to going to class, playing video games and watching tv seems like a pretty low hurdle. I hope that he finds other more worthwhile interests to pursue to become a well-rounded interesting person.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Ok, fine. Sports are a good topic to make small talk with people you don't know. I'm not arguing that. I really like baseball and football.

But, the OP says he only goes to school and watches TV and plays video games. He is looking for hobbies. Adding "watching sports" to going to class, playing video games and watching tv seems like a pretty low hurdle. I hope that he finds other more worthwhile interests to pursue to become a well-rounded interesting person.

He can always opt for Sabermetrics ;)

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Both Tennis and Running have low costs of entry and can be social.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri May 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Personally, I like photography. It gets me out of the house, I combine it with hiking etc.... It actually helps pay my bills now.....

But the key is picking something YOU enjoy that will also get you out of the house....

I am a college football FANATIC but I don't think I would actually call it a hobby.....

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Fri May 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Well, TV does include watching ESPN, but only basketball. Will watch college football starting now i guess. What about chess or checkers, do ppl still play those games? Maybe i shouldn't get DIABLO 3 :(

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 04, 2012 8:39 pm

beachbum wrote:
TomahawkChopper wrote:There is no such thing as talking intelligently about a football game.

lol, no. In terms of the return on your time invested, following sports is probably one of the best things you can do. It's a great way to connect with attorneys, and can be picked up by just reading the local paper and watching ESPN. I mean, you should still strive to be a well-rounded person, but if we're just looking at utilizing your scarce time to best prepare you for interviews/callbacks, I'd put following the local team(s) near the top of the list.

Credited. I'd say 75% of my interviews eventually end up with us talking about sports. It's also useful for cocktail parties and other social events (for guys anyway). It's interesting but not divisive (usually). I would say football and baseball are the most common, followed by college football and basketball.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Geocaching.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri May 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Maybe that your trying to get away from anything education based, but you could self learn about a particular subject you've always been interested in but didn't pursue for whatever reason...geeky but it's whatever

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat May 05, 2012 3:19 am

joetheplumber wrote:Well, TV does include watching ESPN, but only basketball. Will watch college football starting now i guess. What about chess or checkers, do ppl still play those games? Maybe i shouldn't get DIABLO 3 :(

You're fine dude. As long as you follow at least one sport you can get by without looking like an aspie weirdo. Just make sure you watch enough espn to know big stories that are going on. I don't have any hobbies like running and hiking and shit (not sure what there would even be to talk about with running) and I get by just fine. Believe it or not you don't have to manufacture a fake personality just to make it in law.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun May 06, 2012 5:15 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Well, TV does include watching ESPN, but only basketball. Will watch college football starting now i guess. What about chess or checkers, do ppl still play those games? Maybe i shouldn't get DIABLO 3 :(

Diablo 3 could be a good hobby. I really want to get it too, but it seems unmanageable during 1L.

Exercise! Walk, run, lift weights, whatever you want.

If you are single, dating is the best hobby.

Jacky D.

Postby Jacky D. » Sun May 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Golf is a really good networking hobby, but it can get pricey if you're on a student loan budget. I say it's worth it, though, because you bump shoulders with someone who can help you get something to do during the summer.

Return to “Law School FAQ”