Is there a way to gauge how well I'll do on 1L exams?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
yuck

Is there a way to gauge how well I'll do on 1L exams?

Postby yuck » Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 am

Any questions I can ask myself to figure out how well I'll be able to "apply law to fact" and do well on exams? Should I take my LSAT score seriously in that regard, as an indicator of my success? For purposes of this thread assume I will be able to hunker down and study hard and smart. I will read getting to maybe during the summer.

burtonrideclub

Re: Is there a way to gauge how well I'll do on 1L exams?

Postby burtonrideclub » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 am

Its generally a combination of your LSAT score, bench press max, GPA, and 40-yard dash time. Preparation for 1L should be divided equally among the four.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 am

How much you raise your hand in class is a pretty good indicator.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 am

Depends on the professor and the type of exam. But really, remembering the relevant law and applying it to fact isn't necessarily hard. It's just about doing it better than your classmates (spotting more issues, writing more coherently/better organization, dealing with the time crunch better).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 am

Also I heard taking adderall makes you do better for sure.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 am

I heard it's related to your penis / breast size.

yuck

Postby yuck » Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 am

well my bench press sucks. I heard one should assume median, and that sounds fair to me. I'm trying to decide between a non t-14 with 20-30% biglaw chances and 20k a year scholarship vs a state's best regional school where I have significant legal ties about 14k a year tuition plus living expenses. I'd like biglaw, and mostly just a fast paced lifestyle, and realize I likely won't get it from the regional school.

Do you think having significant legal ties back in the regional state should make me feel less nervous about taking the chance of a lifetime and going about 100k in debt after help from family and interest on loans?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 am

Okay, I know you don't want to get outed, but you really need to give more specific details than that if you want good solid advice. Otherwise we are just giving bad advice and shooting into the dark. That's just too vague as every market and every non-top14 school is so different.

yuck

Postby yuck » Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 am

ahh what the hell's the difference, I don't know why I was trying to keep it so vague. BC/BU vs UF

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 1:01 am

rad lulz wrote:Also I heard taking adderall makes you do better for sure.

:lol:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 03, 2012 1:04 am

Whelp BC/BU have a decent rep in FL but not one that's gonna increase your biglaw chances mightily. You're probably not gonna be able to swing biglaw in FL from around median. Top third might get you some looks. But top third ought to put you in a decent spot for Boston as well. So you're in a pickle there. 60k isn't bad, but still pretty blah. I'd consider a retake if you really want biglaw.

yuck

Postby yuck » Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 am

Not expecting biglaw in Florida out of BC/BU, but was just thinking if I'd have similar prospects doing around median at BC/BU in Florida as I would doing median at UF in Florida, considering my Fl ties and BC/BU alumni/prestige in Florida. If so, that would somewhat be an insurance policy if biglaw fails in Boston for paying down debt.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Thu May 03, 2012 7:21 am

As a BU student, I can say you can do well if you're a hard worker and make grades a #1 priority. Knowing how to type fast also helps. I know people with sucky LSAT's there who did very well on exams. You just need to be in the top 30% to be eligible for a big law job. They also do off-campus OCI in Miami for Florida students through a consortium, but my guess is that it is easier getting a job in Boston than in Florida. Btw, we have a number of Florida of students in our section (off my head, I think we have three, but I'm likely forgetting people).

Return to “Law School FAQ”