Work Experience Before Applying to Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
wiseguy

Work Experience Before Applying to Law School

Postby wiseguy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey Guys,

So currently I am a Finance Major at a T50 Public School and lately I have been thinking about working in either the Investment Banking or Consulting industries for a couple of years upon graduation not only to gain some real world experience and also to see how I like it. I still plan on taking the LSAT but the thing is I don’t know how long the scores would be valid for (I heard various response from 2 to 5 years but I don’t know the exact amount). Overall I am not sure if this is a good decision to make because law school has been a goal of my for quite some time and I am afraid I might stick the banking gig for the rest of my life so now all is left to do is pretty much see if its worth doing it. If I end up hating what I do, what would be some pros/cons of gaining some work experience before applying to law school? Will it offer a small boost in admissions?

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated

bk1

Re: Work Experience Before Applying to Law School

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Scores are valid for 5 years. The 2 year thing comes from the fact that you can only take the LSAT 3 times every 2 years.

Gaining work experience will be valuable for several reasons:

1. You will be more mature.
2. It won't have a significant effect on your applications in general but it will help a bit and will definitely help at schools that care about work experience (e.g. NU/HLS).
3. It will help you once you are in school as employers prefer those with work experience to those who are K-JDs.
4. You can save up money (and thus pay for law school at least in part with your savings and try and mitigate the tyranny that is 7-8% interest).
5. Maybe you'll like banking and not want to change. You can always do banking then switch to law. Once you've spent thousands of dollars and years of opportunity cost it will be much harder to switch from being a lawyer to go into finance (and even if you do you've wasted a ton of money/time).

lawrythelawyer

Postby lawrythelawyer » Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 pm

bk1 wrote:Scores are valid for 5 years. The 2 year thing comes from the fact that you can only take the LSAT 3 times every 2 years.

Gaining work experience will be valuable for several reasons:

1. You will be more mature.
2. It won't have a significant effect on your applications in general but it will help a bit and will definitely help at schools that care about work experience (e.g. NU/HLS).
3. It will help you once you are in school as employers prefer those with work experience to those who are K-JDs.
4. You can save up money (and thus pay for law school at least in part with your savings and try and mitigate the tyranny that is 7-8% interest).
5. Maybe you'll like banking and not want to change. You can always do banking then switch to law. Once you've spent thousands of dollars and years of opportunity cost it will be much harder to switch from being a lawyer to go into finance (and even if you do you've wasted a ton of money/time).

^Truth

I have about two years experience just in a mediocre IT job and I have benefited greatly from it.

For starters, the maturity you will gain should not be underestimated. When you are in college, all of your hours of hard work are spent on things that will benefit you. You're the only one dependent on your performance. In the real world, 90% of your time will be spent doing things that benefit someone else (e.g. your boss, your clients, your co-workers) who depends on you. You learn how to "serve" at all times (even if you are in a leadership role--heck, especially if you are in a leadership role), and that's incredibly valuable experience--experience that will help you enjoy the law even more.

And yes, it will only help your law school application.

Trust me, it's a win all around. Go for it! I'm pretty new to TLS, but I'm certain many, many people on here will echo these statements.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm

It's a great idea. I worked in finance for a year after UG and I'm still confident that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'll echo bk1's list of advantages; PM me if you have any more specific questions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 pm

If you get a job in your field, then take it & work for a few years to see if law school, or MBA school, is something that you'd like to pursue.

Safest course of action is to take the LSAT now while seeking your first post-college job. See which one offers better options.

Return to “Law School FAQ”