(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: First Year Law School Flash Cards (0L Prep)

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:24 pm

No.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I was dumb enough to try 0L prep, and it involved Law in a Flash Cards. Absolutely useless wasted time, and its the first thing to come to mind when kids ask me about my biggest regret/what i would change looking back. Most people who say "don't do 0L prep" didn't do it, and want to validate their decision. Well, I did do 0L prep. Don't waste your time. Knowing terms doesn't get you a better grade on the exam. Sure, on the first day, you might know what personal jurisdiction is, whereas your classmates won't. But by the 2nd class, your "advantage" is gone. I learned this the hard way.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm

kaiser wrote:I was dumb enough to try 0L prep, and it involved Law in a Flash Cards. Absolutely useless wasted time, and its the first thing to come to mind when kids ask me about my biggest regret/what i would change looking back. Most people who say "don't do 0L prep" didn't do it, and want to validate their decision. Well, I did do 0L prep. Don't waste your time. Knowing terms doesn't get you a better grade on the exam. Sure, on the first day, you might know what personal jurisdiction is, whereas your classmates won't. But by the 2nd class, your "advantage" is gone. I learned this the hard way.

not disagreeing with you kaiser, just curious, didn't you kill 1L year, and if so, how are you sure your prep was a non-factor?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 pm

kwais wrote:
kaiser wrote:I was dumb enough to try 0L prep, and it involved Law in a Flash Cards. Absolutely useless wasted time, and its the first thing to come to mind when kids ask me about my biggest regret/what i would change looking back. Most people who say "don't do 0L prep" didn't do it, and want to validate their decision. Well, I did do 0L prep. Don't waste your time. Knowing terms doesn't get you a better grade on the exam. Sure, on the first day, you might know what personal jurisdiction is, whereas your classmates won't. But by the 2nd class, your "advantage" is gone. I learned this the hard way.

not disagreeing with you kaiser, just curious, didn't you kill 1L year, and if so, how are you sure your prep was a non-factor?

What I did was learn terms, familiarize myself with concepts, etc. So I came in on day 1 with a bit of a leg up. But here is what I failed to realize: I assumed that, if I had this leg up, I could parlay it into an advantage that would be perpetual (i.e. I thought I could always be a bit ahead of everyone since I would have more time to do other things, start outlining earlier, etc.). But that isn't correct. Since I wasn't learning the material through the proper "filter" of my professor (since every professor teaches the material differently), I had to spend just as much time going back over material, concepts, and terms that I thought I already "knew" from my summer work.

So my "advantage" disappeared within a matter of weeks, and the playing field was entirely leveled. But the worst part of it was that I could have spent the summer getting my resume together, making cover letters, networking with alums, getting better at typing, learning about law school exams, getting more organized, etc. Yet all the free time I had, I dedicated to reading those books and using flash cards. If anything, I would have done better had I not done 0L prep, and instead had done those other things.
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 pm

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm

kaiser wrote:
kwais wrote:

What I did was learn terms, familiarize myself with concepts, etc. So I came in on day 1 with a bit of a leg up. But here is what I failed to realize: I assumed that, if I had this leg up, I could parlay it into an advantage that would be perpetual (i.e. I thought I could always be a bit ahead of everyone since I would have more time to do other things, start outlining earlier, etc.). But that isn't correct. Since I wasn't learning the material through the proper "filter" of my professor (since every professor teaches the material differently), I had to spend just as much time going back over material, concepts, and terms that I thought I already "knew" from my summer work.

So my "advantage" disappeared within a matter of weeks, and the playing field was entirely leveled. But the worst part of it was that I could have spent the summer getting my resume together, making cover letters, networking with alums, getting better at typing, learning about law school exams, getting more organized, etc. Yet all the free time I had, I dedicated to reading those books and using flash cards. If anything, I would have done better had I not done 0L prep, and instead had done those other things.

makes sense. wish I'd done those things too

Return to “Law School FAQ”