Financing law school: What would you do?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
yrest

Financing law school: What would you do?

Postby yrest » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi everyone-

I'll be attending a t6 at sticker this fall. I am lucky enough to have a family friend who is willing to pay the cost for me up front and let me pay him back later with 0 interest.

I'm debating taking loans anyway as a hedge in case I don't get a private sector job but am somehow able to get a position that qualifies me for lrap. If I do get big law, he would pay loans off lump sum and I'd pay him back a slightly higher amount due to the accumulation of a few years of interest.

I will be going for private sector work before all else.

What would you do? Is this hedge worth it? Or would PI/gov surely be out as well if I strike out of a private sector job...making this move worthless and expensive.

dingbat

Re: Financing law school: What would you do?

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 pm

yrest wrote:Hi everyone-

I'll be attending a t6 at sticker this fall. I am lucky enough to have a family friend who is willing to pay the cost for me up front and let me pay him back later with 0 interest.

I'm debating taking loans anyway as a hedge in case I don't get a private sector job but am somehow able to get a position that qualifies me for lrap. If I do get big law, he would pay loans off lump sum and I'd pay him back a slightly higher amount due to the accumulation of a few years of interest.

I will be going for private sector work before all else.

What would you do? Is this hedge worth it? Or would PI/gov surely be out as well if I strike out of a private sector job...making this move worthless and expensive.

If you're set on biglaw, take the loan. If you can't get biglaw out of CCN... (I'll just stop right here)

The pessimist in me wants to say, how would you feel if for some reason you're unable to pay your friend back? Do you really want that on your shoulders?
But, from CCN, you've got a reasonably good chance at getting biglaw, so just don't screw it up

On a separate note, LRAP is wonderful and all, but I'd be very wary about making life decisions based on "well, I could always get LRAP". It's great if you are gung-ho about a particular direction for which it qualifies, but to have LRAP as a backup plan is risky (unless it's Yale; their LRAP is phenominal)

PARTY

Re: Financing law school: What would you do?

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm

some family friend...

Return to “Law School FAQ”