Is a backup laptop possible during exams?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sophistical

Is a backup laptop possible during exams?

Postby sophistical » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 pm

i've been wondering whether it's possible to have a backup laptop during an exam. let's say you're taking an exam at the end of the semester. suddenly, your screen goes blank. your motherboard has just died! so now you either fail the exam, or write it by hand. or is there a third option?

is it generally possible to get a second laptop, install the exam software on the second laptop, and get permission to use it instead of the first laptop if the first laptop dies during the exam? having 2 laptops would significantly decrease the chances of having to write an exam by hand if there is a hardware failure.

if you have already taken exams at your school by computer or have had similar experiences, what are your thoughts on this?

for example, i've done some reading, and it sounds like the proctor can "restart" you if you freeze or experience some kind of software problem, but is this restart limited to the same computer, or can you use another computer (if you have a second one with the exam software already installed)?

jessuf

Re: Is a backup laptop possible during exams?

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 pm

I guess it depends on which software your school uses and the school's policy, but at my school, you can only use one laptop. You get one restart and 5 minutes of IT help if your laptop gets wonky. If your issue isn't fixed in 5 minutes, you have to write in the bluebooks.

Horror story: This happened to my friend within 10 minutes of time being called, so writing out her 10,000+ word answers in a bluebook was pretty much impossible in 10 minutes. She had a brand new Macbook Pro.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:06 pm

At our school it's alright as long as you register the 2nd laptop before the deadline (which is weeks before the first exam).

I also know someone who had a laptop failure right before uploading the exam, but it was fine because it automatically saved and the IT department was able to recover it and upload it later.

sophistical

Postby sophistical » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 pm

what do you mean "register" the laptop? did you have to do anything besides install the exam software on it?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm sure your school has a plan for this.

LOL at exam writing software.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm

sophistical wrote:what do you mean "register" the laptop? did you have to do anything besides install the exam software on it?

My schools makes us register ExamSoft by a certain date. Like after you download it, you register online. But sounds like that isn't the police at your school or else you would've done it in the Fall.

Return to “Law School FAQ”