is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
doomed123
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am

is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby doomed123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but...

I marked myself as "Other" Hispanic, and now I keep getting emails (and in some cases phone calls) from the Latino/Hispanic Student Associations at all the schools to which I've been accepted. When I get to school, will they expect me to join? I don't really feel comfortable doing that, as my ethnicity has never been something I've strongly identified with (I'm like 5th generation, and only half-Hispanic anyway). Does pretty much every minority in law school join their respective ethnic club? Will the club be offended by someone who doesn't join? Am I doomed?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm

doomed123 wrote:Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but...

I marked myself as "Other" Hispanic, and now I keep getting emails (and in some cases phone calls) from the Latino/Hispanic Student Associations at all the schools to which I've been accepted. When I get to school, will they expect me to join? I don't really feel comfortable doing that, as my ethnicity has never been something I've strongly identified with (I'm like 5th generation, and only half-Hispanic anyway). Does pretty much every minority in law school join their respective ethnic club? Will the club be offended by someone who doesn't join? Am I doomed?


Haha, I hope you didn't make your username over this situation. You're not doomed. How can anyone *expect* or be *offended* by your not wanting to participate in a club? You're fine. Do whatever you want.

doomed123
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby doomed123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 pm

woeisme wrote:
doomed123 wrote:Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but...

I marked myself as "Other" Hispanic, and now I keep getting emails (and in some cases phone calls) from the Latino/Hispanic Student Associations at all the schools to which I've been accepted. When I get to school, will they expect me to join? I don't really feel comfortable doing that, as my ethnicity has never been something I've strongly identified with (I'm like 5th generation, and only half-Hispanic anyway). Does pretty much every minority in law school join their respective ethnic club? Will the club be offended by someone who doesn't join? Am I doomed?


Haha, I hope you didn't make your username over this situation. You're not doomed. How can anyone *expect* or be *offended* by your not wanting to participate in a club? You're fine. Do whatever you want.


lol, nah, I've had this username for years. It seems appropriate for my neurotic concerns though.

I was just worried that they'd 'expect' it if pretty much every minority joins these groups as a matter of course... and then the one guy who doesn't ends up looking like a dick.

pno12006
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby pno12006 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:39 pm

X
Last edited by pno12006 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am

doomed123 wrote:
lol, nah, I've had this username for years. It seems appropriate for my neurotic concerns though.

I was just worried that they'd 'expect' it if pretty much every minority joins these groups as a matter of course... and then the one guy who doesn't ends up looking like a dick.


In my opinion, they'd be the dicks for having such expectations.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am

pno12006 wrote: They could be a network that you use later.


True

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 am

The networking value in those organizations doesn't come through their meetings or activities, it comes through separate networking events or special career fairs. Those events will still be advertised through the school, and you can go to them whether or not you have ever attended a meeting.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:55 pm

doomed123 wrote:I'm like 5th generation, and only half-Hispanic anyway

Don't join. You're not Hispanic enough to fit in

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: is there a lot of pressure to join 'ethnic' associations?

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 am

Ethnic clubs aren't necessarily that ethnic I hear. When they advertise for events at my school, they encourage students of all ethnicities to come. And people have. Compared to other clubs, ethnic groups are usually more active and involved because they receive extra money and funds from national chapters.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests