So, you can't work in 1L if you are full time?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JCFindley

So, you can't work in 1L if you are full time?

Postby JCFindley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:06 pm

flem wrote:1) Unless you're part time, the ABA mandates you can't work your 1L year

This is actually from a different thread but thought I would start a new one rather than hijack that one.

Thanks for the info T. I had no idea. Seems a little odd that you can't have a part time job when you are spending a billion dollars a year; does anyone know the background and reasoning behind it? Just curious.... (Small Print; LS does not in fact cost quite a billion/yr....)

JC

bk1

Re: So, you can't work in 1L if you are full time?

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:11 pm

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Standard 304(f)

No idea how they would enforce this.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm

bk1 wrote:http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/legaled/standards/20072008StandardsWebContent/Chapter_3.authcheckdam.pdf

Standard 304(f)

No idea how they would enforce this.

I suppose they could use your tax returns during the C&F background check....

I didn't read all the way through it (yet) but it appears you can work 20hours/week.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm

The ABA allows a full-time law student (regardless of year) to work 20 hours per week max. Some schools have lower limits, particularly for 1L year.

The ABA's rule is a condition of the law school keeping its certification, so the school has some interest in making sure you're obeying.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The ABA allows a full-time law student (regardless of year) to work 20 hours per week max. Some schools have lower limits, particularly for 1L year.

The ABA's rule is a condition of the law school keeping its certification, so the school has some interest in making sure you're obeying.

20 hours a week is fair and I wouldn't work more than that myself anyway just struck me as an odd rule.....

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 am

flem wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The ABA allows a full-time law student (regardless of year) to work 20 hours per week max. Some schools have lower limits, particularly for 1L year.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression you couldn't work your 1L and could work 20 hours a week after that.

Sorry for any confusion/misinformation, that's what I was told.

Depends on the school. I'm pretty sure at Michigan you can't work at all during 1L year. Not completely positive but I know some schools were very strict about 1L work.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

Since nothing about law school really matters outside of your 1L grades, it's not such a crazy rule.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 am

I know a girl who works 20 hours and manages all her shit. I respect her a lot but working 20 hours while juggling all that shit can be hard. At the same time, it can get you out of the law school bubble I guess and keep some of your perspective. This time during finals, I'm trying to spend a lot of (my limited free) time with people outside of law school just so my "free time" isn't occupied by talking/complaining/crying about finals.

Return to “Law School FAQ”