Calling all JD/MBA students

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
msblaw89

Calling all JD/MBA students

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 pm

How did you prep for the GMAT?
What was your score?
Does your school have a "reduced" GMAT/GRE score for joint applicants?

If the institution I was accepted to for law, has an avg GMAT score of 710 for the b-school...do I have to score near or at that level?

msblaw89

Re: Calling all JD/MBA students

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Anyone?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:40 pm

msblaw89 wrote:How did you prep for the GMAT?
What was your score?
Does your school have a "reduced" GMAT/GRE score for joint applicants?

If the institution I was accepted to for law, has an avg GMAT score of 710 for the b-school...do I have to score near or at that level?

For most schools, you need to be near the average GMAT to get into the business school.
They might give you a little break for being JD/MBA, but if you're 100 points off, you're not getting in.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 pm

From what I understand, Cornell relaxes their gmat requirements for people who are already in the law school.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Depends on the school. GMAT is not a huge part of a b-school application for a top program. If you get above a 700 with a reasonable split between verbal and math (above 80th percentile for both usually), you will have met the threshold. After that your application is more about work experience, recommendations and essays.

I don't know anything about Cornell though. They are probably a bit more lax considering that Johnson is a step below Cornell Law in terms of prestige.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:24 pm

bdubs wrote:Depends on the school. GMAT is not a huge part of a b-school application for a top program. If you get above a 700 with a reasonable split between verbal and math (above 80th percentile for both usually), you will have met the threshold. After that your application is more about work experience, recommendations and essays.

I don't know anything about Cornell though. They are probably a bit more lax considering that Johnson is a step below Cornell Law in terms of prestige.

I heard at Cornell's ASW that someone got in with a 640...but I wanted to see if that was the rule or the exception

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Also, I wonder if females and minorities get a boost? ( I am including females since they account for about 30-35% of most MBA programs)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:31 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I heard at Cornell's ASW that someone got in with a 640...but I wanted to see if that was the rule or the exception

Sounds like an exception to me, that is at the 20th percentile. I would doubt that they would lower their standards that much for dual degree candidates. Johnson is not a very big school and I would imagine that lots of Cornell law students want to get in.

msblaw89 wrote:Also, I wonder if females and minorities get a boost? ( I am including females since they account for about 30-35% of most MBA programs)

Yes, and yes. It's not the same as law school though where there is some magical numerical bump for URMs. They just try to balance their class so that it isn't disproportionately skewed toward one sex or race.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Is it significantly harder to get into a JD/MBA joint program with no WE (going straight from undergrad to law school)?

Also, do firms view JD/MBA graduates as a flight risk during OCIs?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Excellent117 wrote:Is it significantly harder to get into a JD/MBA joint program with no WE (going straight from undergrad to law school)?

Also, do firms view JD/MBA graduates as a flight risk during OCIs?

I guess that depends on the firm. I know some firms specifically target JD/MBAs

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Excellent117 wrote:Is it significantly harder to get into a JD/MBA joint program with no WE (going straight from undergrad to law school)?

Yes, unless you are (numerically) grossly overqualified for the business school at your law school and that school is not one of the top 10. It is unlikely that it would be advisable to pursue a JD/MBA if you were in that situation though (although a hefty scholarship/full ride might make it compelling).
Excellent117 wrote:Also, do firms view JD/MBA graduates as a flight risk during OCIs?

It depends on what your reason is for wanting the dual degree. You can come off as a flight risk if you have an incoherent story. Overall though, the dual degree helps if you are attending a top school, especially if you're aiming to do corporate law.

dooood

Postby dooood » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm

bdubs wrote:Johnson is not a very big school and I would imagine that lots of Cornell law students want to get in.

Johnson's also not a very good school, so I don't imagine that's the case

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 pm

dooood wrote:
bdubs wrote:Johnson is not a very big school and I would imagine that lots of Cornell law students want to get in.

Johnson's also not a very good school, so I don't imagine that's the case

You're underestimating the stupidity of law students and the anxiety caused by the shitty legal job market. I imagine that lots of people are willing to roll the dice and up their student loans in exchange for 2 degrees in 3 years and supposedly better job prospects.

Also, Johnson is not that bad that it isn't a valuable additional to a Cornell Law degree. Most Cornell kids go to NYC to do corporate work, I imagine that it is seen as a plus. Additionally, most lawyers are impressed by ivy league degrees and are not well attuned to the prestige of business school programs.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 pm

bdubs wrote:

Yes, unless you are (numerically) grossly overqualified for the business school at your law school and that school is not one of the top 10. It is unlikely that it would be advisable to pursue a JD/MBA if you were in that situation though (although a hefty scholarship/full ride might make it compelling).
Excellent117 wrote:Also, do firms view JD/MBA graduates as a flight risk during OCIs?

It depends on what your reason is for wanting the dual degree. You can come off as a flight risk if you have an incoherent story. Overall though, the dual degree helps if you are attending a top school, especially if you're aiming to do corporate law.

Thank you for your response. Corporate law is my goal, so it would definitely make a coherent story.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Excellent117 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Thank you for your response. Corporate law is my goal, so it would definitely make a coherent story.

+1 here too

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 am

Excellent117 wrote:Thank you for your response. Corporate law is my goal, so it would definitely make a coherent story.

FYI - I'm speculating a bit based on what I know about admissions in other programs. I don't know the full impact of not having any work experience on recruiting with a JD/MBA, since everyone in my program has at least 3 years of work experience.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 am

bdubs wrote:
Excellent117 wrote:Thank you for your response. Corporate law is my goal, so it would definitely make a coherent story.

FYI - I'm speculating a bit based on what I know about admissions in other programs. I don't know the full impact of not having any work experience on recruiting with a JD/MBA, since everyone in my program has at least 3 years of work experience.

I've never heard of a (good) MBA program that doesn't require at least 2 years experience

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:44 am

dingbat wrote:I've never heard of a (good) MBA program that doesn't require at least 2 years experience

Wharton still admits people without work experience. Not very many, but they do exist. So does Booth.

http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/faqs.cfm
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... lyear.aspx

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 am

bdubs wrote:
dingbat wrote:I've never heard of a (good) MBA program that doesn't require at least 2 years experience

Wharton still admits people without work experience. Not very many, but they do exist. So does Booth.

http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/faqs.cfm
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... lyear.aspx

I think I'll shut up now :oops:

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 am

FYI: the GMAT is changing this summer; I recommend taking it before that happens.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 am

lsatcrazy wrote:FYI: the GMAT is changing this summer; I recommend taking it before that happens.

I know, but I don't think I would be ready. My math is russssty

gdh

Postby gdh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:04 pm

clone22 wrote:From what I understand, Cornell relaxes their gmat requirements for people who are already in the law school.

Confirming. Recently attend ASW and current JD/MBA's spoke of needing appx 66 percentile minimum on GMAT quant (presumably one would have a very high verbal score given LSAT and law school experience, so I can't speak to composite GMAT score). 3.35 GPA minimum in law school. Work experience not needed.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Did a MGMAT practice test cold turkey and scored a 580...yuck. My math sucked...but the only verbal questions I got wrong were sentence completion which I hear is easy to correct. I enrolled in the self guided MGMAT plus course ( I have access to the pre-recorded classes) hope it helps!

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

anyone know Columbia's policy on JD/MBA program and WE? I'm K-JD but I am thinking about pursuing an MBA. Should I forget that if I have no WE?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:anyone know Columbia's policy on JD/MBA program and WE? I'm K-JD but I am thinking about pursuing an MBA. Should I forget that if I have no WE?

Ask the school

Return to “Law School FAQ”