Schools without class rank

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gregucla10

Schools without class rank

Postby gregucla10 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am

Does going to a school that has no class rank affect ones employment opportunities? I understand that if you graduate from someplace like Yale/Harvard/Columbia/etc., you should be fine, so this question is geared more towards schools that don't have that stellar t14 reputation going for themselves.

If someone is at the bottom of their class, having no rank could theoretically help their chance of getting hired, since the employer would have no idea just how bad their grades were in comparison to the rest of the class. The way I see it, the more "unknown" there is about a potential employee, the more skeptical employers will be to hire that employee..

Am I totally off base?

patentlaworbust

Re: Schools without class rank

Postby patentlaworbust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:54 am

Yes and No.

Schools have various reasons for choosing not to rank students, such as reducing cutthroat competition or increasing employment opportunities for students by forcing employers to look more deeply at that candidate. Employers usually know which schools don't have a ranking system in place, and for those that don't, CSOs can provide a memo explaining why your school doesn't rank. Keep in mind that while rank alone is one metric used to determine an individual's potential, there are many other factors that are taken into consideration. The strength/reputation of your school, WE, or specific background/degrees you are bringing with you are equally strong (or perhaps stronger?) factors that are taken into consideration.

Will some Biglaw firms look suspiciously at a non T14 school's decision not to rank? Maybe. Will it kill your chance at that firm? Probably not. IMO, it is more suspicious for a candidate from a school that DOES rank to NOT include their rank on their resume. That suggests that the candidate's rank was too poor to include.

nutella3000

Postby nutella3000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Here's some food for thought: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/04/from-j-d ... aw-school/

Yeah, maybe Yale and Stanford can get away with not having grades, but at a school like Northeastern, it’s a more challenging proposition.

Students that come from schools that do not rank students have the disproportionate disadvantage of trying to individuate themselves with other things. And so no, I don't think your suspicions are baseless.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 pm

nutella3000 wrote:Here's some food for thought: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/04/from-j-d ... aw-school/

Yeah, maybe Yale and Stanford can get away with not having grades, but at a school like Northeastern, it’s a more challenging proposition.

Students that come from schools that do not rank students have the disproportionate disadvantage of trying to individuate themselves with other things. And so no, I don't think your suspicions are baseless.

It's extraordinarily rare for law schools to not give grades.

Most schools that don't "rank" simply keep the curve's exact median/standard distribution under wraps. Those numbers are not very hard to figure out, especially by employers who come to the school's OCI year after year. Depending on how flat the curve is, what it really does is blend people together by approximate percentile bands, instead of separating them by exact points. Given how arbitrary exam grading can be, I think it's a good and fair thing to do. Really, what's the functional difference between someone at the 54th percentile and the 48th percentile?

Return to “Law School FAQ”