Which States tend to be Insular?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 pm

icpb wrote:
Artistry wrote:I know most southern states tend to have insular markets, but who else?
Also, how can someone without ties overcome this nagging issue? Is becoming a citizen of the state in question good enough?

Hawaii

:lol: :lol:

Artistry
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby Artistry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:21 am

beachbum wrote:For Alaska, come to Duke. (Seriously). Alaska Law Review, bro.

Raw numbers aren't good enough for that. 3/153 uGPA/LSAT combo.

Right now, I'm going to let the admission cycle play out, but I'm currently seeking employment full-time. If I do that, I can spend the time preparing for the LSAT, and then reapply next year when I do better.

LSAT score "achieved" with two months of preptest studying. Was practicing in the 155-157 range prior to test day.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby tyro » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 am

imbored25 wrote:basically everywhere except really big cities (nyc/la/dc, etc)

I've also heard that areas that are more popular like FL, AZ, CA, and maybe CO are less insular because people understand why you would want to move there. Makes sense but not sure if it's actually true.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 pm

tyro wrote:
imbored25 wrote:basically everywhere except really big cities (nyc/la/dc, etc)

I've also heard that areas that are more popular like FL, AZ, CA, and maybe CO are less insular because people understand why you would want to move there. Makes sense but not sure if it's actually true.


It's not true. Colorado, AZ, and Florida all seem very insular. I don't know about Cali. I imagine less so in Los Angeles as long as you go to USC/UCLA or one of the holy trinity.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby tyro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 am

Gail wrote:
tyro wrote:
imbored25 wrote:basically everywhere except really big cities (nyc/la/dc, etc)

I've also heard that areas that are more popular like FL, AZ, CA, and maybe CO are less insular because people understand why you would want to move there. Makes sense but not sure if it's actually true.


It's not true. Colorado, AZ, and Florida all seem very insular.

But firms will be less skeptical towards someone who randomly moved to Florida than someone who randomly moved to Idaho.

Calchexas
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 am

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby Calchexas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 am

RE OP: You've probably made your relevant decision vis-a-vis law school, or perhaps won't see this, but remember that even for your market, the T14 and everyone right around them would still make for a solid, transferable degree. Assuming there isn't anything about the other schools on the Pacific Coast that jump out to you as particularly useful for your interests, then a GPR and LSAT good enough for those schools is still what you should be focused on achieving (assuming one or the other isn't set in stone yet).

That said, lawyers in Alaska are from all sorts of schools. For example, when looking at just the history of the Alaska District Court, you see a very healthy mix of locations: the T14, 15-30s, and even a strong regional school (Seattle!).

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby flcath » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

tyro wrote:
Gail wrote:
tyro wrote:
imbored25 wrote:basically everywhere except really big cities (nyc/la/dc, etc)

I've also heard that areas that are more popular like FL, AZ, CA, and maybe CO are less insular because people understand why you would want to move there. Makes sense but not sure if it's actually true.


It's not true. Colorado, AZ, and Florida all seem very insular.

But firms will be less skeptical towards someone who randomly moved to Florida than someone who randomly moved to Idaho.

Don't know how 'academic' this subthread is intended to be, but the provinciality of Florida is really pretty irrelevant these days.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby dingbat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Artistry wrote:I know most southern states tend to have insular markets, but who else?

Any market that doesn't rhyme with fork

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Which States tend to be Insular?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

dingbat wrote:
Artistry wrote:I know most southern states tend to have insular markets, but who else?

Any market that doesn't rhyme with fork


Lol




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest