TTT schools: always a bad idea?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Artistry

Re: TTT schools: always a bad idea?

Postby Artistry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 pm

dingbat wrote:
Artistry wrote:My question is this: is there ever a case where attending a TTT school is a good investment?

If you live in, and want to work in, states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming or West Virginia

How about Alaska? That's where I'm from, after all.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Artistry wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Artistry wrote:My question is this: is there ever a case where attending a TTT school is a good investment?

If you live in, and want to work in, states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming or West Virginia

my guess is to either go to a really good school with name recognition, or a really cheap (free) school.

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am

dingbat wrote:
Artistry wrote:
dingbat wrote:

my guess is to either go to a really good school with name recognition, or a really cheap (free) school.

If I can get enough money from Toledo to make it nearly free, I might consider going there then this cycle.

Still favoring a LSAT retake, though.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:27 am

Artistry wrote:If I can get enough money from Toledo to make it nearly free, I might consider going there then this cycle.

Have you ever been to Toledo? It's basically Detroit, but in Ohio.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:35 am

bk1 wrote:1. When it's cheap and has decent job placement.
2. When it's cheap and you have a guaranteed job.
3. When you have a trust fund and don't mind burning money.

These rules hold for pretty much all law schools. The problem with your question is that breaking down the rankings at intervals of 50 is arbitrary and pointless. There are some T2's better than T1's. There are some T3's better than T1's. For example TTT's like WVU or USC (the state school) for free with no stips if you're from that state and want to practice there are probably better bets than taking out a lot of money to attend a T1 like American.

Add these:

1. When you are URM, have a phat scholly and will attend only the TTT's most widely regarded as "underrated" (or Howard"), or
2. You have a kick-ass job/career that pays loads of money and will use your legal knowledge to kick more ass or receive an executive promotion, and/or (in either case)
3. The economy is way friggin better than it is now...like...resembling the Clinton Administration circa 1998!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am

dingbat wrote:

Add South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, Maine, and probably a few more....

TTTs can be a great idea for someone who wants to stay and work at home..... but even then it would depend on the TTT and its rep within the local market.

Alaska is a tough one though because there is no LS. I have NO idea what the legal market is like up there nor where they hire their lawyers....

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 am

Indifferent wrote:
bk1 wrote:3. When you have a trust fund and don't mind burning money.

Nope, pretty sure the trustee would be sued for failure to exercise reasonable care in this situation.

Howard?

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm

cinephile wrote:
Artistry wrote:If I can get enough money from Toledo to make it nearly free, I might consider going there then this cycle.

It couldn't be worse than some of the places I've been in Alaska....could it? 8)

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:11 pm

JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:

TTTs can be a great idea for someone who wants to stay and work at home..... but even then it would depend on the TTT and its rep within the local market.

Alaska is a tough one though because there is no LS. I have NO idea what the legal market is like up there nor where they hire their lawyers....

Even though these schools might be the best in their region, it still doesn't make sense to load up on debt to go to them. They are still graduating a ton of unemployed people every year. And the salaries in those regions are still really crappy.

I wouldn't take out much more than cost of living loans to go to any TTT.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Even though these schools might be the best in their region, it still doesn't make sense to load up on debt to go to them. They are still graduating a ton of unemployed people every year. And the salaries in those regions are still really crappy.

Except that we're generally talking state schools (and it only makes sense if you can get instate tuition)
The salaries might be really low, but generally so is the cost of living.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:23 pm

dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:If you live in, and want to work in, states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming or West Virginia

Except that we're generally talking state schools (and it only makes sense if you can get instate tuition)
The salaries might be really low, but generally so is the cost of living.

COA is still in the range of 80K-120K. And the % who are long term employed is terribly low.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:COA is still in the range of 80K-120K. And the % who are long term employed is terribly low.

North Dakota has instate tuition of $9,500 per year. How you can get a COA of $80k there is beyond me

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Artistry wrote:
cinephile wrote:

It couldn't be worse than some of the places I've been in Alaska....could it? 8)

Make the visit first. Really, I wouldn't feel comfortable/safe living there for 3 years, even for free.

presh

Postby presh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 pm

dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:COA is still in the range of 80K-120K. And the % who are long term employed is terribly low.

North Dakota has instate tuition of $9,500 per year. How you can get a COA of $80k there is beyond me

North Dakota is a myth to make South Dakota sound better brah. I didn't check ND but the rest are about in that range other than SD which is 75K. ND is still probably 60-70K when you add in COL.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dingbat wrote:

North Dakota is a myth to make South Dakota sound better brah. I didn't check ND but the rest are about in that range other than SD which is 75K. ND is still probably 60-70K when you add in COL.

South Dakota has in-state tuition of $11k
Wyoming has in-state tuition under $10k
West Virginia is under $11k
Arkansas is under $11k
Idaho under $13k
Montana under $11k

Please explain to me how you can get the COA you mentioned in those places, where cost of living is relatively low.
($60-$70k I can agree on)

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Their continued existence certainly is.

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:12 pm

cinephile wrote:
Artistry wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Make the visit first. Really, I wouldn't feel comfortable/safe living there for 3 years, even for free.

Why is there this general feeling around Toledo/Detroit? Not sure I understand...

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Artistry wrote:Why is there this general feeling around Toledo/Detroit? Not sure I understand...

Some places can only be described as a shithole
(disclaimer, I've never been to either Toledo or Detroit, so I'm not commenting on those places, but I've seen a fair number of shitholes and can understand the total disdain people may have for some places)

Artistry

Postby Artistry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 am

dingbat wrote:
Artistry wrote:Why is there this general feeling around Toledo/Detroit? Not sure I understand...

(disclaimer, I've never been to either Toledo or Detroit, so I'm not commenting on those places, but I've seen a fair number of shitholes and can understand the total disdain people may have for some places)

You've never even been, and yet you're describing that city as such?

You're right to say I should go visit first, but jeez, that's really harsh. That kinda reminds me of a Gary US Bonds song (for all you VH1 fans at home)...

Consequently, you get -500 points.

(If you don't get the reference, go here)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 am

Artistry wrote:
dingbat wrote:

You've never even been, and yet you're describing that city as such?

You're right to say I should go visit first, but jeez, that's really harsh. That kinda reminds me of a Gary US Bonds song (for all you VH1 fans at home)...

Consequently, you get -500 points.

(If you don't get the reference, go here)

No, I've never been to those places so I can't comment on them.
However, when a place is universally described as a shithole, I believe it, because a place doesn't easily get a reputation for being a shithole.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 am

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32 am

Since I kind of started this, let me clarify that I wouldn't say that Toledo is a "shithole," mostly because I can't see myself ever describing anywhere as such. I would say that Toledo makes me feel unsafe. It has a high crime rate and the city just looks abandoned and depressed and contributes to the feeling I get of not wanting to stay long because I'm not comfortable there.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:34 am

cinephile wrote:Since I kind of started this, let me clarify that I wouldn't say that Toledo is a "shithole," mostly because I can't see myself ever describing anywhere as such.

I should take you places....

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 am

dingbat wrote:
cinephile wrote:Since I kind of started this, let me clarify that I wouldn't say that Toledo is a "shithole," mostly because I can't see myself ever describing anywhere as such.

I should take you places....

I probably am a bit sheltered :lol:

Return to “Law School FAQ”