JD/MPA Prgrams

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TomahawkChopper

JD/MPA Prgrams

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 am

Can someone explain the application process to me? It seems that all the joint programs start with focusing completely on law school in the first year, then phase in the other program. Do you wait until completing the first year before applying?

Can anyone explain what these programs are like?

Thanks!

S-IV

Re: JD/MPA Prgrams

Postby S-IV » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 am

bump.

also curious

PKozi

Postby PKozi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

TomahawkChopper wrote:Can someone explain the application process to me? It seems that all the joint programs start with focusing completely on law school in the first year, then phase in the other program. Do you wait until completing the first year before applying?

Can anyone explain what these programs are like?

Thanks!

generally with MPA and MPP joint degree programs you can either apply to the policy school during your first year of law school, or apply to both at the beginning, in which case you can often start at either school.

I've taken the latter route, so I've heard back from both law and policy schools this cycle. I've requested a deferment at the policy school so I can do my first year at the law school.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions that I can (though keep in mind that I haven't actually started a program yet, just done all the applying).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 pm

It's very easy at Penn, you can apply at the same time or during your first year. You take two summer MPA classes at night or on Saturdays for two summers, and take four MPA classes during your 2L/3L year (those will count toward your JD). So four additional classes more than you would with JD alone (plus the cost for those summer classes which are not included in your law school tuition).

Return to “Law School FAQ”