Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

cjcregg wrote:I applaud your honesty and I agree w/ a good bit w/ what's been said. Still, I think it's a tad ironic that you found that law students were hollow shells w/o personalities and now you've found your home w/ the fun-loving, crazy cats at US Airways, Corporate.



Well to be fair, people are people. I try to make the best of every situation. However, I would argue that the law school environment fosters annoying behavior. The med school environment is probably similar. Plus law school attracts certain types of people...FUTURE LAWYERS...I mean, on the whole I don't think anything I said was ALL THAT controversial.

On a side note, while I spent my 1 semester there, I will say that QUITE A FEW (10+) kids in my large classes complained about school, loans, readings, profs, et cetera FARRRRRRRR more than I ever did. One thing I thought was that if kids are working their butts off trying to make something of their lives (even though I think this is misguided) the last thing they needed was a contrarian like me rocking the boat with whiny attacks on the entire institution. So I rarrrrrrely did unless it was invited. Many other kids railed on it far more.

At the very least, I didn't just talk the talk...I f*ckin' nutted up and walked the walk. FYI, to all future law students...you will find complainers everywhere.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tyro » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:a default place where those too gutless/ugly/socially inept for business or sales end up.


:?:

I see the 'default' thing but the lack of business savviness got me thinking.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tyro » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:46 pm

My question for the OP is this: would you really have liked law school more had you faced brighter job prospects? It seems like you would have hated it either way. It seems like you hated everything about it.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:52 pm

tyro wrote:My question for the OP is this: would you really have liked law school more had you faced brighter job prospects? It seems like you would have hated it either way. It seems like you hated everything about it.



Well, to me there is a Triumvirate of Suck that led to my decision to bolt.

1) Law School is 3 years of crap only to get served up more crap (hopefully) for a career.

2) Law school costs far more than it should and its getting higher.

3) There are not any strong chances of getting a high paying job.

#3 changing would have lead to the highest probability of me staying (not saying I definitely would have). But your intuition seems pretty spot on...I hated the crap either way. Doing it for a paycheck wouldn't change the fact I hated it.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tyro » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:56 pm

jetsetter12 wrote:I hated the crap either way. Doing it for a paycheck wouldn't change the fact I hated it.

That's the main thing. No person should do something they entirely hate for money.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby TLS_noobie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 pm

jetsetter12 wrote:
tyro wrote:My question for the OP is this: would you really have liked law school more had you faced brighter job prospects? It seems like you would have hated it either way. It seems like you hated everything about it.



Well, to me there is a Triumvirate of Suck that led to my decision to bolt.

1) Law School is 3 years of crap only to get served up more crap (hopefully) for a career.

2) Law school costs far more than it should and its getting higher.

3) There are not any strong chances of getting a high paying job.

#3 changing would have lead to the highest probability of me staying (not saying I definitely would have). But your intuition seems pretty spot on...I hated the crap either way. Doing it for a paycheck wouldn't change the fact I hated it.


....I had to google "triumvirate"......... 8)

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 pm

tyro wrote:
jetsetter12 wrote:I hated the crap either way. Doing it for a paycheck wouldn't change the fact I hated it.

That's the main thing. No person should do something they entirely hate for money.


Probably why chances were better than not I still would have bolted. If you're going or are in law school dude, it works the other way too. If you love it bro, f' the money.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tyro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

jetsetter12 wrote:Probably why chances were better than not I still would have bolted.

Did the 'dick-slinging' or cocky aspect of law students and professors bother you the most?

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 am

tyro wrote:
jetsetter12 wrote:Probably why chances were better than not I still would have bolted.

Did the 'dick-slinging' or cocky aspect of law students and professors bother you the most?


Well, it truly is an isolated world. So awkward, socially-inept people with long resumes like to flaunt around all the time. This one chick was the worst..."I went to Stanford...and spent a semester in Marseilles...and did this for the Secretary of State...and went here....and did that...and saw him....and shook her hand....i worked for them..." blah blah. In some ways I can't blame her, you gotta work on that part of yourself...controlled, maybe even dignified boasting. It's how you get a job, clients, move up in a firm. It's crap, but hey, don't hate the player hate the game. She's gonna do her thing I guess. But don't blame me for wanting to bolt from people like her.

But again, the ABSOLUTE WORST...is the "gluttons for punishment" as I call them. The people that literally complained about EVERYTHING even more than me, a dropout, did...and yet kiss *ss in class everyday...go to every dang office hour...blah blah blah. There are several sub-types in law school. All were loathesome...but those were the worst.

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby annet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 am

Did you go straight to law school out of undergrad or did you take some time off in between? Did you work during UG?

Just trying to get a sense of how much time you spent in the "working world" to get a better idea of where you're coming from. I appreciate that you're sharing your perspective.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:24 am

annet wrote:Did you go straight to law school out of undergrad or did you take some time off in between? Did you work during UG?

Just trying to get a sense of how much time you spent in the "working world" to get a better idea of where you're coming from. I appreciate that you're sharing your perspective.



Graduated May 2010, Started 1L late August 2011. In between consulted with a business owner starting up his own printing business. Made a quick 4 grand there. Then worked for a small law firm in my hometown for a bit over a year, part time but got paid. Travelled too. Just took a break more or less. Didn't get a whole lot of life experience, but saw the boss take time to go to Hawaii, and not seem too overloaded with work. Figured why not and went to law school. : (

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tyro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:42 am

jetsetter12 wrote:
tyro wrote:
jetsetter12 wrote:Probably why chances were better than not I still would have bolted.

Did the 'dick-slinging' or cocky aspect of law students and professors bother you the most?


Well, it truly is an isolated world. So awkward, socially-inept people with long resumes like to flaunt around all the time. This one chick was the worst..."I went to Stanford...and spent a semester in Marseilles...and did this for the Secretary of State...and went here....and did that...and saw him....and shook her hand....i worked for them..." blah blah. In some ways I can't blame her, you gotta work on that part of yourself...controlled, maybe even dignified boasting. It's how you get a job, clients, move up in a firm. It's crap, but hey, don't hate the player hate the game. She's gonna do her thing I guess. But don't blame me for wanting to bolt from people like her.

But again, the ABSOLUTE WORST...is the "gluttons for punishment" as I call them. The people that literally complained about EVERYTHING even more than me, a dropout, did...and yet kiss *ss in class everyday...go to every dang office hour...blah blah blah. There are several sub-types in law school. All were loathesome...but those were the worst.


Seems like you kind of have to go into anything knowing that people will irritate you and that you will be hated by at least a couple of people.

in2win
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby in2win » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:43 am

As a 0L who is in the process of saying f*** law school and switching to another industry , I have to say this thread is pretty interesting. I was definitely one of those people with a liberal arts major who just defaulted into law school because I didn't know what else to do. The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby NinerFan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 am

in2win wrote:As a 0L who is in the process of saying f*** law school and switching to another industry , I have to say this thread is pretty interesting. I was definitely one of those people with a liberal arts major who just defaulted into law school because I didn't know what else to do. The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills


Probably a good decision.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:49 am

in2win wrote:As a 0L who is in the process of saying f*** law school and switching to another industry , I have to say this thread is pretty interesting. I was definitely one of those people with a liberal arts major who just defaulted into law school because I didn't know what else to do. The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills



Really great to hear. Believe me, I don't want to convince people to quit law school just for kicks. I want to get the people who really shouldn't/don't want to go to stop this freight train to no where. All the people suffering in law school and post law school also have no motivation/too embarrassed to post online. The only people online, well mostly, are those scrounging for some form of hope or an "it'll be okay keep going." Also go to the "Legal Employment" board on these forums. My thread there about 3ls...WITH JOBS...regretting going to law school is an interesting read. Go for it.

sadsituationJD
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby sadsituationJD » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:14 am

The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills.


Another terrible thing about law (well, at least non-Biglaw/corporate gigs) is that your own "trade organization" (i.e, the state bars and ABA) utterly loathe and despise solo practitioners and small firms (i'm a partner in the latter), and try to make our lives as miserable as possible and destroy our revenue streams whenever they can.

For example, the NJ bar (i practice in nj), recently passed a "bona-fide office rule," which requires all lawyers to have a real, physical office space full-time (a Regus mail drop or virtual office does not qualify, nor does a home office). It didn't affect us (we have a small suite in an office complex a family member of mine own and lets us use in exchange for doing his colllections work), but it does really hurt recent grads who want to keep costs down. It also hurts older lawyers (esp solos) who have seen revenue dry up so badly that many decide to work from home and just use a virtual office for client meetings (those Regus shares are like $79 a month).

A friend of my dad's who has practiced consumer bankruptcy for 30 years just got disciplined by the NJ bar for having a home office. I borrowed some forms off him the other day, and he told me this is his last year. He made, after expenses and such, a whopping 35 K last year. Of course, you'd think (and I myself thought) that Ch 7 BK would be booming given the economy. But he told me it's worse now than ever, because large "mill" type operations who are #1 google hits can do a Ch 7 for like $800, because they have squads of outsourced paras in India who fill out the paperwork, then send per diems (mostly recent grads) to cover the 341 hearings for $75 a pop. There's no way a solo can compete with those prices and that ad budget.

We ourselves used to do OK with expungement work, but now the genuises at the NJ bar put a "do it yourself" kit online:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/ ... ge_kit.pdf

Take a good look at that kit- it is DAMN good, very through/well explained, and, worst of all, 100% free. Once they posted that online our expungement cases went from 15-20 a year down to a whopping 2 last year. It's the same thing for small-time stuff like LLC formation. To a large extent, the rinky-dink small town lawyer is for the most part obsolete.

Law licenses are also not portable: new state=new bar exam, even if you've been practicing for 30+ years. Then there's bar dues, CLE fees, malpractice insurance- plus of course those good old student loans.

I also fail to see how things going fwd. will not get much, much worse. The ABA continues to accredit new law schools by the bushel, and there are already so many experienced lawyers willing to work for peanuts that a recent non-Biglaw bound grad faces long odds of landing any job period, much less one that can pay off student loan debt and provide a higher quality of life than a Mcdonald's employee. The traditional thinking on here (and elsewhere) goes "Well, even if I have to take a 45 K job to start, in a few years I can advance to a 60 K job, then an 80 K job, then a 100 K job, etc." My advice is: Don't count on it.

In fact, it often works in the reverse for some practice areas. Take personal injury, for example. I had 3+ years at a small firm, did trials/motions, settlement, learned the whole area inside and out. When I shopped my resume when ready to leave that firm (where I made 60 K), it was hard even getting interviews because many of those firms PREFER inexperienced people since they can nowadays pay them like 35 K (or less). The problem is that in a lot of practice areas (personal injury, insurance defense, landlord/tenant etc), 5 or so years experience isn't much more valuable than 5 minutes, since the work is 99% cut n' paste pigslop. Sure, someone with experience would be better (and do a better job), but not a better enough job to warrant paying them a premium. (And as I said above, nowadays experienced people will work for peanuts out of desperation since jobs are so scarce across the board). It is, in a word, a fucking nightmare. The stories you hear about how rough it is aren't true: things in reality are far, far worse than even the grim articles all over the media now about law being a terrible career choice. Hell, the average solo attorney in the US earns like 46 K a year nowadays. In real dollars, lawyer salaries have been in steep decline for years, and will only go lower thanks to massive oversupply.

Again, OP, congrats on your decision, and don't EVER look back. You dodged a bullet by getting out of this dying farce of an industry, an industry that has every chance of getting much worse and almost no chance of getting any better. The only thing that ever "elevated" law to a prestigious gig was the supply/demand metrics, and the fact that lawyers had a monopoly on the forms/paperwork needed for routine crap like LLCs and such. With google and legalzoom plus the massive oversupply thanks to easy student loans and Cooley opening campuses on every street corner, those days are not coming back.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby slider » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 am

That was a great post sadsituationJD. Thank you for sharing.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:31 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:Another terrible thing about law (well, at least non-Biglaw/corporate gigs) is that your own "trade organization" (i.e, the state bars and ABA) utterly loathe and despise solo practitioners and small firms (i'm a partner in the latter), and try to make our lives as miserable as possible and destroy our revenue streams whenever they can.

For example, the NJ bar (i practice in nj), recently passed a "bona-fide office rule," which requires all lawyers to have a real, physical office space full-time (a Regus mail drop or virtual office does not qualify, nor does a home office). It didn't affect us (we have a small suite in an office complex a family member of mine own and lets us use in exchange for doing his colllections work), but it does really hurt recent grads who want to keep costs down. It also hurts older lawyers (esp solos) who have seen revenue dry up so badly that many decide to work from home and just use a virtual office for client meetings (those Regus shares are like $79 a month).

A friend of my dad's who has practiced consumer bankruptcy for 30 years just got disciplined by the NJ bar for having a home office. I borrowed some forms off him the other day, and he told me this is his last year. He made, after expenses and such, a whopping 35 K last year. Of course, you'd think (and I myself thought) that Ch 7 BK would be booming given the economy. But he told me it's worse now than ever, because large "mill" type operations who are #1 google hits can do a Ch 7 for like $800, because they have squads of outsourced paras in India who fill out the paperwork, then send per diems (mostly recent grads) to cover the 341 hearings for $75 a pop. There's no way a solo can compete with those prices and that ad budget.

We ourselves used to do OK with expungement work, but now the genuises at the NJ bar put a "do it yourself" kit online:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/ ... ge_kit.pdf

Take a good look at that kit- it is DAMN good, very through/well explained, and, worst of all, 100% free. Once they posted that online our expungement cases went from 15-20 a year down to a whopping 2 last year. It's the same thing for small-time stuff like LLC formation. To a large extent, the rinky-dink small town lawyer is for the most part obsolete.

Law licenses are also not portable: new state=new bar exam, even if you've been practicing for 30+ years. Then there's bar dues, CLE fees, malpractice insurance- plus of course those good old student loans.

I also fail to see how things going fwd. will not get much, much worse. The ABA continues to accredit new law schools by the bushel, and there are already so many experienced lawyers willing to work for peanuts that a recent non-Biglaw bound grad faces long odds of landing any job period, much less one that can pay off student loan debt and provide a higher quality of life than a Mcdonald's employee. The traditional thinking on here (and elsewhere) goes "Well, even if I have to take a 45 K job to start, in a few years I can advance to a 60 K job, then an 80 K job, then a 100 K job, etc." My advice is: Don't count on it.

In fact, it often works in the reverse for some practice areas. Take personal injury, for example. I had 3+ years at a small firm, did trials/motions, settlement, learned the whole area inside and out. When I shopped my resume when ready to leave that firm (where I made 60 K), it was hard even getting interviews because many of those firms PREFER inexperienced people since they can nowadays pay them like 35 K (or less). The problem is that in a lot of practice areas (personal injury, insurance defense, landlord/tenant etc), 5 or so years experience isn't much more valuable than 5 minutes, since the work is 99% cut n' paste pigslop. Sure, someone with experience would be better (and do a better job), but not a better enough job to warrant paying them a premium. (And as I said above, nowadays experienced people will work for peanuts out of desperation since jobs are so scarce across the board). It is, in a word, a fucking nightmare. The stories you hear about how rough it is aren't true: things in reality are far, far worse than even the grim articles all over the media now about law being a terrible career choice. Hell, the average solo attorney in the US earns like 46 K a year nowadays. In real dollars, lawyer salaries have been in steep decline for years, and will only go lower thanks to massive oversupply.

Again, OP, congrats on your decision, and don't EVER look back. You dodged a bullet by getting out of this dying farce of an industry, an industry that has every chance of getting much worse and almost no chance of getting any better. The only thing that ever "elevated" law to a prestigious gig was the supply/demand metrics, and the fact that lawyers had a monopoly on the forms/paperwork needed for routine crap like LLCs and such. With google and legalzoom plus the massive oversupply thanks to easy student loans and Cooley opening campuses on every street corner, those days are not coming back.



Wow, I just got that gut-twisting feeling one gets after leaving a party and finding out the next day that the Police raided it and arrested everybody 4 minutes after you hit the road....

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 am

Feeding into my continued doubts. I want to be a lawyer, I do. I think a lot of people here do. But if we can't hack it in the 1l grade chase, I think we should all take a lesson here.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 am

in2win wrote:As a 0L who is in the process of saying f*** law school and switching to another industry , I have to say this thread is pretty interesting. I was definitely one of those people with a liberal arts major who just defaulted into law school because I didn't know what else to do. The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills


But you will probably just be stuck at another job getting paid less. It pains me to see young people talk about jobs like they are supposed to be fulfilling, enriching, fun activities that will make you whole. No. It's a job. It's work. You are selling your time and energy at a rate and manner dictated by someone else. The difference is that some people will be happier making $30k but dealing with less stress, pressure, and responsibilities, whiles other people can stomach the stress and take home $160k. Choose wisely, but know that a job is a job, and they all suck, some just more than others. Unless you have access to a pile of money that doesn't run out, you will be stuck at a job just to pay your bills.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:34 am

Gail wrote:Feeding into my continued doubts. I want to be a lawyer, I do. I think a lot of people here do. But if we can't hack it in the 1l grade chase, I think we should all take a lesson here.



You want to be a lawyer...or a successful practicing lawyer? The former is the easy part.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby tedalbany » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 am

r6_philly wrote:
in2win wrote:As a 0L who is in the process of saying f*** law school and switching to another industry , I have to say this thread is pretty interesting. I was definitely one of those people with a liberal arts major who just defaulted into law school because I didn't know what else to do. The practicing attorney of seven years is also interesting. I have to say, I was at one point excited about law school and thought it was a pretty good decision. After reading these types of threads, I t really seems like a bad idea for someone like me who could not stand being stuck in a job that I hate just to pay the bills


But you will probably just be stuck at another job getting paid less. It pains me to see young people talk about jobs like they are supposed to be fulfilling, enriching, fun activities that will make you whole. No. It's a job. It's work. You are selling your time and energy at a rate and manner dictated by someone else. The difference is that some people will be happier making $30k but dealing with less stress, pressure, and responsibilities, whiles other people can stomach the stress and take home $160k. Choose wisely, but know that a job is a job, and they all suck, some just more than others. Unless you have access to a pile of money that doesn't run out, you will be stuck at a job just to pay your bills.


TITCR

Jobs just suck. Period. For pretty much any career I'm certain you can find a large TLS-esque contingency that is very vocal in stating "No, this job sucks, do X instead". If you listen to it all the time you'll just become a pinball, bouncing back and forth between career paths (which happens to me frequently). I think the most important thing is to find something you're good at first and foremost, so at least you'll typically always be in demand and be able to make good money (unless it's a retardedly over saturated area like the arts). After that just get something where you can stomach the nature of the work, hours, and stress. Use the money to have fun in your private time.

claudenm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby claudenm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

Nice job man. I dropped out of Temple midway through my 2L year even though I was above median and had a full ride. I haven't looked back once. I work in IT now and generally like my job a lot. Good luck to you, and good work following your gut.

jetsetter12
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby jetsetter12 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:41 am

r6_philly wrote:But you will probably just be stuck at another job getting paid less. It pains me to see young people talk about jobs like they are supposed to be fulfilling, enriching, fun activities that will make you whole. No. It's a job. It's work. You are selling your time and energy at a rate and manner dictated by someone else. The difference is that some people will be happier making $30k but dealing with less stress, pressure, and responsibilities, whiles other people can stomach the stress and take home $160k. Choose wisely, but know that a job is a job, and they all suck, some just more than others. Unless you have access to a pile of money that doesn't run out, you will be stuck at a job just to pay your bills.



Again, I have no problem with people defending law school, but I cannot help but stop people when they are being disingenuous. IF law was a guaranteed Stressful $160k endeavor...then fine. But the only thing that is guaranteed is stress. Your first sentence sort of threw me off as well. "Getting paid less"....less money....you'll be poorer....money=happiness...enough already. Not everyone has a child or family they need to take care of, thus they don't see the $$$$ end in every decision they make. Some of us have the freedom. I say to all who have this freedom, don't let the "you won't make any money" charlatans dissuade you from not going to law school/dropping out if it truly isn't in your heart. Money isn't everything.

But, back to my first point, if money is everything to you...don't be so quick to pick law school as YOUR path. Yes, under certain conditions and with certain personal characteristics taken into account, law school is the right choice. But this is far from a one size fits all. In fact, vastly different results can come. There is the success stories (getting rarer and rarer), and on the opposite end....the HORROR stories.

This girl is actually kind of optimistic...but you can see the fear in her eyes. 3L btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na3e7-f6I_c

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Ask 1L Dropout of the Class of 2014 anything.

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 am

jetsetter12 wrote:
Again, I have no problem with people defending law school, but I cannot help but stop people when they are being disingenuous. IF law was a guaranteed Stressful $160k endeavor...then fine. But the only thing that is guaranteed is stress. Your first sentence sort of threw me off as well. "Getting paid less"....less money....you'll be poorer....money=happiness...enough already. Not everyone has a child or family they need to take care of, thus they don't see the $$$$ end in every decision they make. Some of us have the freedom. I say to all who have this freedom, don't let the "you won't make any money" charlatans dissuade you from not going to law school/dropping out if it truly isn't in your heart. Money isn't everything.

But, back to my first point, if money is everything to you...don't be so quick to pick law school as YOUR path. Yes, under certain conditions and with certain personal characteristics taken into account, law school is the right choice. But this is far from a one size fits all. In fact, vastly different results can come. There is the success stories (getting rarer and rarer), and on the opposite end....the HORROR stories.

This girl is actually kind of optimistic...but you can see the fear in her eyes. 3L btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na3e7-f6I_c


So you are accusing me of making generalizations while you are making the opposite generalization?

Have you held a real job? A real career? Do you know what makes you happy? Having you ever been completely responsible for your everything?

If you committed to sink three years of your life and a bunch of cost into an endeavor you reneged 1/3 way through, due to lack of forethought or whatever, why does your opinion on what makes people happy or productive hold any weight?

You said it right: my decision is right for me, yours may be right for you. You can't generalize that it is a good or bad decision for each and everyone. It works for people who know what they are getting into, not so much for people who went to law school on a whim.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nobiggie and 1 guest