Industrial Hygienist/Exposure scientist--LAW?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
huskie_eagle

Industrial Hygienist/Exposure scientist--LAW?

Postby huskie_eagle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Newbie here. Haven't been able to find what I needed on a google search so I figure this would be a great resource!

For starters, I recently graduated college last December from an east coast state HBCU with degrees in Political Science and Environmental Biology (long story behind the combination). I will be pursuing my masters this fall in Occupational and Environmental Exposure Sciences at the University of Washington. Essentially, this is a broad term for industrial hygiene/workplace safety and exposures. This field is exceptionally in demand especially given that all of us are on full traineeships even at the masters level.

I always pursued my career path with the intention of ultimately receiving a PhD and entering academia. A lofty thought, but the erosion of the tenure process and the 'publish or perish' attitude really makes me considering weighing other options. It was not until recently where I thought about receiving a law degree to supplement my graduate training in workplace safety and exposures. I looked absolutely everywhere on the net and could not find any information whatsoever on law schools that may have foci/specialties in this area. I'm wondering is anyone familiar with this field--if one exists? UW places its graduates with corporations like Boeing and DOW Chemical, so I wonder if having a law degree an asset for these companies to an already in demand skill-set? Also, I'm not seeking to do personal injury law.

Thanks in advance, any information would help!

Manimal

Re: Industrial Hygienist/Exposure scientist--LAW?

Postby Manimal » Tue May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

1.get your PhD
2. join as many professional associations
3. get a handful of years work experience - government agency maybe
4. publish as much as you can
5. work as expert witness and get paid better than all the lawyers while still practicing your love of science.

Return to “Law School FAQ”