Portability Question.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FinallyGoing

Portability Question.

Postby FinallyGoing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:42 pm

My short-term goal is to work in Texas for roughly 3-5 years after law school and then reassess where I would like to live; perhaps stay in Texas, perhaps move elsewhere.

All else being equal, given these goals, would I be better served attending say Notre Dame over SMU? Or perhaps ASU over Baylor?

Of course, if I am able to get into any T-14 I would choose that above else. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Non-trad splitter here, so UT is likely out of the question.

Nova

Re: Portability Question.

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Im in a similar situation. I grew up in the great state of TX and now im going out of state for law school. I got into UHLC at sticker and a T25 with a scholarship. I decided to go to the T25, even though I would like to keep the option open to return to Texas. The advice I have been given is to go to the TX school unless you get into a T14 or ok with relocating.

Personally, Im not listening to the advice, but maybe you should ;)

it really comes down to the COA numbers and your willingness to possibly not work in TX if you go out of state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:49 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:My short-term goal is to work in Texas for roughly 3-5 years after law school and then reassess where I would like to live; perhaps stay in Texas, perhaps move elsewhere.

After 3-5 years of working, where you went to school won't matter much compared to how good an attorney you are.

FinallyGoing wrote:All else being equal, given these goals, would I be better served attending say Notre Dame over SMU?

Not if you want to work in Texas upon graduation.

FinallyGoing wrote:Or perhaps ASU over Baylor?

Hell no. If you want Texas, Baylor is a better choice, though not as good a choice as SMU or UofH.

FinallyGoing wrote:Of course, if I am able to get into any T-14 I would choose that above else. Thanks for the input.

Good call.

FinallyGoing wrote:EDIT: Non-trad splitter here, so UT is likely out of the question.

UT is out if you have under a 3.5. If you don't, and it's your LSAT holding you back, retake.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Thank you for the responses!!!

Return to “Law School FAQ”