Military Law

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JDorBust2016

Military Law

Postby JDorBust2016 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Hello!

I am new to this forum and just had a question:

I am attending a US Service Academy beginning this summer :) I want to attend for the right reasons: serving country, leading men & women, etc. Just curious: Does this help at all in law school admissions?

I know I'm looking WAY AHEAD, but its good to know! Any thoughts?

JCFindley

Re: Military Law

Postby JCFindley » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm

JDorBust2016 wrote:Hello!

I am new to this forum and just had a question:

I am attending a US Service Academy beginning this summer :) I want to attend for the right reasons: serving country, leading men & women, etc. Just curious: Does this help at all in law school admissions?

I know I'm looking WAY AHEAD, but its good to know! Any thoughts?

Yes, it does....

Basically you have the LSAT and GPA to get into law schools. Other things that help are called "soft" factors and being in the military is probably one of the best softs out there. Not sure how the GI Bill works with service academy guys/gals but it will pay for law school if it is available to you. The military might even send you to LS as an LT or Ensign.....

JC

twenty

Re: Military Law

Postby twenty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:37 pm

The good news is, service academies rock. The bad news is, SA graduates end up with abysmally low GPAs (i.e, the top students end up with like, a 3.5). That means, as unfortunate as it is, that someone who went through an adult continuing education program with a 4.0 GPA is going to be significantly more competitive than you with a 3.x~

On the other hand, if you have any interest in the JAG Corps, an SA is a great way to kickstart that career. Sure, you'll go to a lower-ranked law school, but 1) the military will pay for a lot of it, and 2) a lock on JAG is not a terrible option.

Return to “Law School FAQ”