IPAD vs. Macbook or Apple air laptop.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TLS_noobie

Re: IPAD vs. Macbook or Apple air laptop.

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:...

What you wrote is dumb. 13" MBP is about the same price as a 13" PC of equal specs, minus the video card, maybe...but intel 3000 is fine. for $1099 youll get a laptop thatll last 3-4 years no problem whereas cheaper PC laptops tend to shit the bed after around 2.5. If you're going 15" and match the resolution youll also not notice a huge price disparity. That said, replacing a cheaper laptop every 2.5 years might save you a bit of money --but choosing to have a nicer laptop for a longer period with less hassles (security issues, updates that break shit...) is not unreasonable. if you're doing any video production, you need a mac.. and if you're a developer or power user, having a unix core/terminal is real nice (fuck cygwin).

Just to refute you with real stats from the actual sites:
--LinkRemoved--
Macbook Pro 15-inch
Processor = 2.4 ghz quad-core intel core i7
Memory = 4gb
Hard Drive = 750 gb @ 5400 rpm
Graphics Card = AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1gb GDDR5
Battery = 7 hours
Price: $2,199.00

HP DV6T 15 inch
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do
(not sure if the link works or not)
Processor = 2.4 ghz quad-core intel core i7
Memory = 8gb
Hard Drive = 750 gb @ 7200 rpm
Graphics Card = AMD Radeon HD 7470M with 1gb GDDR5
Battery = 9 cell battery (estimated at 9 hours)
Also, free Blu-ray player upgrade/dvd burner
Price: $1,099.00
Note: I customized the HP to be as close as I could get to the Macbook Pro, but I could have easily give it a much better graphics card, more memory, better hard drive, and a better battery and still come in under 1500.
I used HP because it is easiest to customize on their website, but Asus (I have heard from others) is cheaper and offers better hardware.

So for a final score card, the winners are listed below:
Processor: tie
Memory: HP
Hard Drive: HP (faster, though honestly you probably wouldn't see that big of a difference, but it's still faster for less money)
Graphics Card = HP (by an entire generation)
Battery = tie (HP has it based on their estimate...but honestly, I don't trust that estimate, my HP doesn't quite make it 9 hours, it is more like 5 or 6 hours).
Plus...HP offers a free Blu-ray drive and dvd burner as well as the fact I could have upgraded all of these things and still stayed under 1500 bucks.

Ultimately, this laptop (hardware-wise, since you will probably need to upgrade the OS to stay up to date) will be top of the line for 2 years (close to it at least), above median for 4 years, and average for 5 to 6 years. If you are conservative enough, you could maybe get 7 years out of it. Asus is hit or miss, I have had good and bad times with their machines, but as with all companies, there are the horror stories of tech support.

laxbrah420 wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:...

to say that people only get macs to look cool is fucking stupid.

No, you are wrong, I said:

TLS_noobie wrote:This post is a flame on Apple, but I mean no disrespect to anyone who has purchased Apple products. I, myself, have an iPhone and am really happy with it. But, all I'm saying is that Apple is very expensive and I don't see the added benefit from an Apple versus its competitors. On the other hand, if you have tons of money and you care about what you look like in public to the degree that you need to make a fashion statement, then by all means, macbook pro is the way to go --it's a status symbol, for sure.

There is a difference between saying "if you want to make a fashion statement then buy a mac" versus saying "only people who want to make a fashion statement buy macs"........ :shock:

Secondly,

laxbrah420 wrote:Who describes themselves as a techie besides blog writers trying to gain some authority? :lol:

As an engineer I typically describe myself as a techie, geek, nerd, tech-whore, and whatever else that can help me self-depricate to get some laughs. I certainly am not trying to be arrogant about it otherwise I would have chosen a word a little more authoritative than "techie". But, if it did seem a authoritative, I am sorry and that is certainly not what I meant. As I said before, I am not trying to flame those people who purchase Apple products because I, myself, own many Apple products and am quite happy with them.

laxbrah420 wrote:And wtf does that mean that 90% of software is compatible with windows? Where'd you pull that from?

I'm not gonna lie...I pulled that one outta my ass. But it is true that there is a lot of software that is exclusive to Windows (many --if not most-- video games come to mind). And I did qualify my statement with "--at least at the capacity that Windows offers--" because ask any investment banker if excel runs just as well on Mac rather than Windows and they will give you an ear-full until they bleed.

As for this:
Oklahoma2014 wrote:Any virus issues?

Yes...Flashback has become a malware that has hit quite few machines so far, not enough to make it seem like doomsday just yet, but the point is this. Apple struggled with their desktop brand in the 90s and a majority of personal computers were Windows machines. Companies and individuals owned primarily Windows machines and because of their rampant use, more "hackers" (ugh, I hate that word...) gathered around the dominant OS, finding exploits wherever they could. Now that Apple has gained massive market share in the personal computing world more hackers are beginning to gravitate toward that OS to exploit it like an untapped keg.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... 17886.html

As a Windows user with Mcaffee or Norton or AVG or even Microsoft Security Center, you will be just fine. There is an alternative of course --linux-- but I like the balance between freedom and software support that windows gives me (linux is good for other things).

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 am

oh boi.....

one, you don't have to get a 15in macbook pro. As a law student you don't need 1GB of video ram, or an i7 processor. That's all good for professional photographers and video editors, but for a law student? Good job techie for recommending a configuration that is overkill for its user.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:29 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:oh boi.....

one, you don't have to get a 15in macbook pro. As a law student you don't need 1GB of video ram, or an i7 processor. That's all good for professional photographers and video editors, but for a law student? Good job techie for recommending a configuration that is overkill for its user.

Lol, yeah, I did choose a spec that is overkill if the only thing the computer needs to do is serve as a word processor. But, I figured that the explanation was sufficient enough and the point should have been received: it doesn't matter which model of macbook you choose the price comparison will be similar.

Macbook Air
The cheapest version is 11 inch for $999.00

HP DM1Z*
A 12 inch display with double the memory, the same processor, and 5 times the hard drive space (granted it isn't flash memory) is a whopping $425.00

*again, I used HP because it is easiest to customize on the web, but lenovo offers some awesome deals with some stylish chassis and asus offers some even better pricing than HP I believe.

Also, it is important to note that at first glance it is easy to say "oh, I don't need all of that hardware if I am not going to be doing hardcore calculations on it, etc." but, think of it as the hardware being the lifespan of your computer. The better your hardware is then the more time it will take for it to be considered out of date, even for normal-user standards. For someone playing top-of-the-line video games that may be just a few years, if that, but for a non-gamer/non-scientist it will be even longer. Why not get the most bang for your buck?

[EDIT] I think of Macbook's as those fancy gel pens kids would buy back in the day.
--ImageRemoved--
They were neon colors, they drew very smoothly, and were fun to play with. But, they were almost 4 times the price of a single bic pen and when it came down to writing something for realz, like that 4th grade report on Chris Columbus, the gel pen wasn't allowed by the teachers because they wanted the paper to be in black ink and actually readable so they don't go into an epileptic fit from the bright colors. Ultimately, Macbooks look fricken awesome and are beautiful machines, but at the end of the day a Windows machine will be able to do more and is half the price...
Last edited by TLS_noobie on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 am

Noob, if we don't compare price, is the Apple better? Just curious, you seem pretty pro windows. Wondering if that changes if we throw out price. Thanks.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 am

Oklahoma2014 wrote:Noob, if we don't compare price, is the Apple better? Just curious, you seem pretty pro windows. Wondering if that changes if we throw out price. Thanks.

If we don't compare price then what are we comparing? The operating systems? I mean, as I said before, there is a lot more software support for Windows than there is for the Mac and a lot of software being used on Mac is ported from Windows making Windows its native environment. As far as hardware is concerned, you have a lot more choice when it comes to customizing your machine with Windows-based machines because Apple has predefined specs. I just went thru the Macbook Air "customizing" page on Apple.com and it lets me upgrade memory and the "superdrive" and that's it (for the guts at least). But, honestly, if money wasn't a big deal, I would buy a Macbook Pro and then some hardcore specc'ed out machine to do my actual computing on while I use my Macbook for public venues. But, I live in a world where money is an issue and if someone places enough value on aesthetic then I can't argue with that and I would probably recommend a Macbook because Apple knows how to make pretty products (unlike a lot of other companies...ugh, Dell is so fugly...seriously........).

[EDIT]
Just re-read what I wrote and I must say I sound quite hostile, lol. I just wanted to say that I did not mean for it come off hostile at all haha. If money is no issue I still think Windows machines are a better buy. I believe that in the end you will ultimately find yourself dual-booting to Windows and then that basically makes the Macbook a Windows machine (that looks nice) but without the lifespan (as far as tech is concerned) of its competitors. If you are absolutely enamored with Apple and its operating system and don't see yourself using Windows on a regular basis, and if price is not an issue then I would recommend the cheapest Macbook Pro. It offers an i5 (honestly, for all intents and purposes of a law student it still overkill), a substantial harddrive, a crappy integrated video card (but will at least survive for quite a few years, as long as you don't do anything intensive with it like run games, etc.), and enough memory to do whatever you need. But, as I've said before, for that amount of money, you can get something that will allow you to play games or run intensive things if for some reason you feel so inclined and will last you longer as far as the tech-curve is concerned.
Last edited by TLS_noobie on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wart

Postby Wart » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 am

Last edited by Wart on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wart

Postby Wart » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 am

Last edited by Wart on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 am

Wart wrote:Definitely go with the MacBook Air. I absolutely love mine. Only get a Pro if you are programming, gaming, or editing video, etc. The best parts about the AIr are its weight and SSD, which means it boots up in seconds. And the battery life has been great too. As for the complaint about no disc drive, I dont think this is a big deal at all. Everything you need is downloadable/online.

No ethernet jack either. This may or may not be a big deal for some people. I know for a couple buddies that have an Air it is a big deal since they have shoddy wifi at their places and ethernet is preferable there.

I've really come off as anti-Apple, Windows-fanboy-douchebag...but, I didn't mean for it to be that way. I am just jelly. I wish I could afford the Macbook and be cool... :( lol Until I can, I get the best bang for my buck and I am a gamer so I obviously gravitate toward graphics and speed. But even for non-gamers I think it is important to practice knowledgeable and logical shopping when it comes to buying your machines, and if Apple is where you end up afterwards, then good for you! :) I'm just tryin to play some devil's advocate here. :twisted:

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 am

I am an Apple fan, have been since 2006. I will never own a windows machine again.

I suggest you purchase a macbook pro, since you are not a power user and it has everything included. 13in screen, i5 processor (if you are looking at specs) great battery life AND can run windows on it via virtualization or native dual boot. You dont have to worry about lugging around a usb cd drive or anything and can have access to your bazillion dvd collection...

If something breaks or doesnt work, you can go to an Apple store near you to have your problem resolved.

use it for 29 days, take it back if you don't like it. I bet you wont....

Another thing ppl dont realize is that Apple's hold resale value. When you want to upgrade you sell your current machine and get a lot back when you want to upgrade.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for all the details Noob. I dont play games, watch dvd's, or use an Ethernet cable. 99% of the time I can do everything I want to be able to do online on my iPad. Not wanting apple because it's fashionable or because money is no object. I just have not been impressed with any of my windows laptops. Started buying apple 2 years ago and at least the iPod/iPad/iPhone seems faster with less issues. And the battery in each holds a charge for a very long time. Every laptop I have owned only holds a charge 2 to 3 hours and after a year the battery is shot. Just figure if I want to buy something for the 3 year period of law school it might be worth the higher price to get better quality.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 pm

rebexness wrote:My Macbook holds a 4ish hour charge. My mom's Macbook Pro is 5-6 hour.

Yeah, this is definitely a good thing about Macbooks. The estimated time for the batteries that most windows machines have is comparable (usually between 6 and 9 hours) but in reality that is more like 2 to 4 hours. Macbooks on the other hand, from what I have gathered from others around me, is that their batteries consistently run for about 5 or 6 hours. Obviously, this all depends on the specs of your machine, and since I tend to get the higher end hardware, the battery is going to be nuked earlier. But it also has to do with OS probably, Windows is a bit more power hungry perhaps, I am not sure about this though.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 pm

TLS_noobie wrote:
rebexness wrote:My Macbook holds a 4ish hour charge. My mom's Macbook Pro is 5-6 hour.

Yeah, this is definitely a good thing about Macbooks. The estimated time for the batteries that most windows machines have is comparable (usually between 6 and 9 hours) but in reality that is more like 2 to 4 hours. Macbooks on the other hand, from what I have gathered from others around me, is that their batteries consistently run for about 5 or 6 hours. Obviously, this all depends on the specs of your machine, and since I tend to get the higher end hardware, the battery is going to be nuked earlier. But it also has to do with OS probably, Windows is a bit more power hungry perhaps, I am not sure about this though.

I know that when I use my macbook's battery, the programs I run all affect how long that charge will last. If I'm using safari, itunes/garage band/spotify, adium, etc., all at the same time, my battery won't last as long as it does if I'm just using safari and adium (just as an example). I've also found that using wifi tends to drain the battery more quickly, as well.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 pm

MBP. I don't like Macbook Air. I mean, if the thickness and weight REALLY matter to you, then I guess...no, still get the MBP. I'd also discourage the sole use of iPads.

And the only reason why I'd never go for a PC laptop is because I'm too in love with the Multitouch trackpad (and I admit, I prefer the look of Apple products and their consistency).

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:MBP. I don't like Macbook Air. I mean, if the thickness and weight REALLY matter to you, then I guess...no, still get the MBP. I'd also discourage the sole use of iPads.

And the only reason why I'd never go for a PC laptop is because I'm too in love with the Multitouch trackpad (and I admit, I prefer the look of Apple products and their consistency).

My new HP laptop has a mutitouch trackpad....(it is primarily a matter of software, if the operating system supports it, multitouch will work, and I know that Windows 7 supports it).

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm

I love my Air but I certainly won't argue it's a necessary expense. I have an external CD/DVD player in case I ever need it, but I haven't used it once since I got the Air in October. The older models were underpowered from what I understand but the newer one has been a dream. The Air most certainly does have USB ports.

I also love my iPad but I can't fathom using it as my only device in school. I use it almost exclusively right now pre-school but even with an external keyboard it isn't designed to be your only device.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:21 pm

anybody else hear the rumors of the new sandy bridge processors coming out and apple changing the product line-up somewhere around april/may?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Admittedly, Apple laptops are pretty durable (3yr failure rate of 17.4% puts them in 4th place after Asus, Toshiba, and Sony). I've never been a fan of HP, their laptop 3yr failure rate is at roughly 25%.

Unless you are a whore for the Apple branding, I see no reason to purchase a Macbook over a comparable Windows product (since you can get a Windows laptop for far cheaper).

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

viruses.

even though naysayers say viruses for macs are on the rise, it must be hard as shit to get them.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm

PARTY wrote:viruses.

even though naysayers say viruses for macs are on the rise, it must be hard as shit to get them.

At the same time a lot of people play up viruses on Windows. I rarely have troubles with viruses.

Bronck wrote:Admittedly, Apple laptops are pretty durable (3yr failure rate of 17.4% puts them in 4th place after Asus, Toshiba, and Sony). I've never been a fan of HP, their laptop 3yr failure rate is at roughly 25%.

Unless you are a whore for the Apple branding, I see no reason to purchase a Macbook over a comparable Windows product (since you can get a Windows laptop for far cheaper).

Sony is like the Apple of Windows machines, price and all haha. I hear awesome things about Asus though and I have had good and bad stories with them. I had an asus that pooped out on me after a year and a half and then I have another asus that has lasted me nearly 6 years now and still going strong. Toshiba is also really durable, I had a buddy who had his toshiba for near 7 years...

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

PARTY wrote:anybody else hear the rumors of the new sandy bridge processors coming out and apple changing the product line-up somewhere around april/may?

If you're going to get a pro for next year, wait until the refresh or the last possible day before classes, whichever comes first. The new pros are going to be worth waiting for.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Viruses are hard to get on any platform, assuming you exercise some vague measure of caution.

Macs are not immune from viruses, or special in any way. Previously, Macs were not common enough to be worth developing viruses for. Now that they are becoming far more mainstream, notice viruses are picking up.

Citing viruses as a reason is silly.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Viruses are hard to get on any platform, assuming you exercise some vague measure of caution.

Macs are not immune from viruses, or special in any way. Previously, Macs were not common enough to be worth developing viruses for. Now that they are becoming far more mainstream, notice viruses are picking up.

Citing viruses as a reason is silly.

it's definitely not.

if i did what i do on a pc, my computer would be toast.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Nelson wrote:
PARTY wrote:anybody else hear the rumors of the new sandy bridge processors coming out and apple changing the product line-up somewhere around april/may?

If you're going to get a pro for next year, wait until the refresh or the last possible day before classes, whichever comes first. The new pros are going to be worth waiting for.

i know, this is what i'm doing.

it sucks just waiting and waiting, though.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm

PARTY wrote:
Nelson wrote:

i know, this is what i'm doing.

it sucks just waiting and waiting, though.

Yeah, I've been coveting the 13' Airs forever, but I'm holding off to see what the new 13' MPB is.

Return to “Law School FAQ”