LSAT advice

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
phillykid

LSAT advice

Postby phillykid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Ok so I've been studying for the LSAT on and off since last October. I had a cold diagnostic of 150. I am probably going to take the LSAT in June but am not content with my current range/average score. My last 9 preptests have been 164, 163, 161, 158, 161, 161, 159, 159 and 163. Generally -2 LG, - 15 LR, and -8 RC. But almost always there is a section where I completely mess up (e.g. most recent 159 included 11/27 RC, and the most recent 163 included 14/24 LR). Also, my target score is 163-165 to contend at some T40's. Any tips on how to get into that 162-167 range in two months leading up to test day?

t14fanboy

Re: LSAT advice

Postby t14fanboy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 pm

1) you have plenty of time to exceed your goal. 2) have you tried reading the powerscore LR bible and working LR problems by type? Like doing 25 flaw problems, 25 strengthen problems, etc? Pinpoint which LR problems are giving you trouble and drill that type in addition to doing normal timed LR sections

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:05 pm

t14fanboy wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

PT like there is no tomorrow. Get as many PTs as you can and do them under similar conditions as the real deal (but be strategic about it. You don't want to burn thru all of your PTs right now and then have 2 months of sitting on your hands before the test). The most important part is review afterwards though. It sounds like you may already be doing this, but perhaps your review isn't effective enough. The games section is the easiest to make improvements on and you should be getting 0-1 wrong on average for that. Most of the test seems to be about pattern recognition be it recognizing the game strategy during games to recognizing the arguments in LR. Just keep chugging through those PTs and make sure to put in as much time reviewing as you do actually completing the tests. As far as the RC is concerned, that is hit or miss among test takers I've seen. For some it is really easy for others it is difficult. I had difficulty with it because I come from an engineering background (which gave me a bit of an advantage with games). I think the best advice for RC is just to get your mind used to churning through thick passages/articles quickly and understanding them enough to where you don't need to constantly refer back to them. The advice I have seen from a lot of people is to start reading academic/thick publications like the economist to get your mind in the right arena of thinking.

Hope this helps :)

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I ordered the Powerscore LR Bible about a week ago so I'm looking forward to sifting through that. But for the most part the question types I miss have no discernible trend (trust me I've looked). I just threw in the -2 for LG because I had one test where I messed up and got -6. But for the most part LG comes very naturally to me (usually only missing 1) plus I've done every LG section thus far. So I think I will stick to Pithypike's guide for LR and RC while splicing in the occasional LG section so I don't get rusty. From just glancing at his guide I notice there is a significant amount of time allocated to review which I am hoping will be the key to me getting into my desired range. I do review often but it's probably more superficial than it is productive. Wish me luck! Thanks again everyone.

Return to “Law School FAQ”