A few questions regarding application process for Fall 2013

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Mindy621_xoxo

A few questions regarding application process for Fall 2013

Postby Mindy621_xoxo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 am

Hello all, newbie here!

I am finishing up my Junior year in my undergrad, planning on taking the June LSAT. I do have prior experience (took a course with TestMasters in prep for October test, but didn't take the test then.) At the end of this semester, I know my GPA will be a 3.5. Because I graduate in May 2013, I want to attend law school the following Fall. My biggest question is this: is June the last possible time I can take it? Will I be too late if I take it in October? I am just nervous that I won't be fully ready by June. My school list is: ASU (where I am now), UCLA, USC, and Vanderbilt, so I know that with my GPA, I will need to score a 170+, correct?

Also, how will my final two semesters factor in with law school application GPA? You apply during your fall senior year, right? Can they take back an acceptance if the GPA falls? Not that I'm planning on slacking off my final year, I'm just wondering.

Bronck

Re: A few questions regarding application process for Fall 2013

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 am

October is not too late, but aiming for June is best since that means you can leave October as a fall back if you need to retake.

Some schools will ask for fall semester grade requests. I haven't heard of schools rescinding offers because of subpar senior grades, though. After you matriculate, you send your transcript (to confirm that you have graduated) directly to the school, and not to LSAC. This means that your LSAC GPA does not change, thus if your GPA is lower, the school does not need to report that lower GPA to USNWR.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:06 am

Mindy621_xoxo wrote:Hello all, newbie here!

I am finishing up my Junior year in my undergrad, planning on taking the June LSAT. I do have prior experience (took a course with TestMasters in prep for October test, but didn't take the test then.) At the end of this semester, I know my GPA will be a 3.5. Because I graduate in May 2013, I want to attend law school the following Fall. My biggest question is this: is June the last possible time I can take it? Will I be too late if I take it in October? I am just nervous that I won't be fully ready by June. My school list is: ASU (where I am now), UCLA, USC, and Vanderbilt, so I know that with my GPA, I will need to score a 170+, correct?

Also, how will my final two semesters factor in with law school application GPA? You apply during your fall senior year, right? Can they take back an acceptance if the GPA falls? Not that I'm planning on slacking off my final year, I'm just wondering.

Lamb to the slaughter...

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 am

You should try very, very hard to get ready for the June test. If you aren't happy with your results you can retake in October and still get your apps in relatively early in the cycle. If you are happy you can get in on the first wave of applications, which is always a boost.

Mindy621_xoxo

Postby Mindy621_xoxo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 am

Danteshek wrote:
Mindy621_xoxo wrote:Hello all, newbie here!

Lamb to the slaughter...

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

I did not mean to come off as unserious about this, as this has been what I've wanted to do since I started college. I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into, and I am fully aware that law school isn't a "golden ticket" to a high paying career.

My main question was regarding when I can take the LSAT and still be eligible for Fall 2013 admission. I really don't understand what your point was by giving me this link?

Mindy621_xoxo

Postby Mindy621_xoxo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 am

ahnhub wrote:You should try very, very hard to get ready for the June test. If you aren't happy with your results you can retake in October and still get your apps in relatively early in the cycle. If you are happy you can get in on the first wave of applications, which is always a boost.

Thank you for your response. I have been studying, and I know with lots of practice and preparation from now until then, I will be ready. I know that half my problem is that I freak myself out, which is odd because tests don't usually have that affect on me. Lol just need to snap out of it!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 am

Mindy621_xoxo wrote:
ahnhub wrote:You should try very, very hard to get ready for the June test. If you aren't happy with your results you can retake in October and still get your apps in relatively early in the cycle. If you are happy you can get in on the first wave of applications, which is always a boost.

Thank you for your response. I have been studying, and I know with lots of practice and preparation from now until then, I will be ready. I know that half my problem is that I freak myself out, which is odd because tests don't usually have that affect on me. Lol just need to snap out of it!

If taking the LSAT freaks you out, then it is really important that you take it in June so that you can take it again in October if you freak out test day. If you wait to take it in Oct, there won't be much time to adjust for Dec

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 am

I can speak from personal experience. Take it in June.

Retakes won't hurt you. Late apps will.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Mindy621_xoxo wrote:My school list is: ASU (where I am now), UCLA, USC, and Vanderbilt, so I know that with my GPA, I will need to score a 170+, correct?

Score 170+ and then seriously broaden and upgrade that school list.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:32 pm

If you were willing to work for a year you also have a full year to raise your GPA. There is quite a difference between 3.5 and 3.7

Mindy621_xoxo

Postby Mindy621_xoxo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm

ahnhub wrote:If you were willing to work for a year you also have a full year to raise your GPA. There is quite a difference between 3.5 and 3.7

Yes, I had thought about this too, say if I was unhappy with my scores from the June test. Then I'd have a year to prepare for the LSAT.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 pm

If you did wait a year I would stop at nothing to raise that GPA--take an easy minor, load up on cake courses, etc. Right now to get into your target schools you probably need to get 2 or 3 points above their LSAT median (although not necessarily 170--I think a 167+ would put USC into play). But hit 3.7 and you avoid being a splitter. It's very possible to crack T-14 with a 168-169 and a 3.7+.

UCLA is very picky about GPA--I don't give you great odds at getting in with a 3.5 even if you hit 170.

edit: actually, just realized all of those schools you listed except UCLA are pretty forgiving of GPA if you hit their LSAT median. Still doesn't change my advice--you can make yourself $$ and better acceptances with a higher GPA and a year of WE.

Mindy621_xoxo

Postby Mindy621_xoxo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I've been practicing every day (still have my Test Masters books, which helps) and I'm actually seeing an improvement on my LR scores. :)

I am taking summer classes (that start in July, so I can focus 100 percent on the LSAT) to fluff up my GPA a little. Hopefully it helps!

Return to “Law School FAQ”