Tattoo question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Ludo!

Gold

Re: Tattoo question

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:20 pm

You have that tattoo and your only regret is that it's in a visible area?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Keep in mind that cheap tattoo removal can leave scarring, which is more noticeable on some skin tones than others. There are methods that leave zero scars, but they're much more expensive. Admittedly, a small scar is still more work-appropriate than a small butterfly (unless the scar is in exactly the shape of a butterfly, lol).

The concern with a tattoo that's hidden by your hair, of course, is whether the hairstyle that hides your tattoo is also a work/interview-appropriate hairstyle. Having your hair all over the place is a problem by itself.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote:Well, shit. Might be worth the $200 to get it removed.
It'll cost a lot more than that to have it removed.

I've had some very senior (position, not age) refer to my tattoos as a career limiting decision - despite the fact that they don't cross the t-shirt line.
MissyJRA177 wrote:I wear my hair down most of the time anyways. The thought of having to, or else risking my job, sounds dumb. What if I'm tucking my hair behind my hears and my boss catches a glimpse? I'll pass.
I doubt it matters day to day, but you will have to wear your hair down for interviews, meetings with clients, court appearances and company functions.

Also, it shouldn't be too hard to find out which partners are more draconian than others, but if you do good work, I think you'll be fine

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 pm

dingbat wrote:
I've had some very senior (position, not age) refer to my tattoos as a career limiting decision - despite the fact that they don't cross the t-shirt line.
How did they know? Out-of-office activities? I'm hoping to avoid those, if I can.

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You have that tattoo and your only regret is that it's in a visible area?
Yeah, that's literally my only regret. If I had a problem with my 1-inch butterfly tattoo, I should hope I would be sitting on a therapist's couch getting over myself, not posting on here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Lincoln wrote:
dingbat wrote:
How did they know? Out-of-office activities? I'm hoping to avoid those, if I can.
In one case, I was invited on a ski trip and it was noticed when we were relaxing in the sauna.
Another time I was at a dinner party which included a few senior partners (biglaw) and some MDs (ibankers) when it became a topic of conversation and I was outed

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:04 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:You have that tattoo and your only regret is that it's in a visible area?
Yeah, that's literally my only regret. If I had a problem with my 1-inch butterfly tattoo, I should hope I would be sitting on a therapist's couch getting over myself, not posting on here.
As an FYI, the 1 tattoo I had removed (hated the artwork) cost approximately $1500 to remove: $150 per session, and about 10 sessions.

It was a shoulderpiece, though,

Note: black is easiest to remove, colors are harder. Yellow is tough, white nearly impossible

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:
As an FYI, the 1 tattoo I had removed (hated the artwork) cost approximately $1500 to remove: $150 per session, and about 10 sessions.

It was a shoulderpiece, though,

Note: black is easiest to remove, colors are harder. Yellow is tough, white nearly impossible

Mine is black and blue, with a tiny dot of yellow. Can you estimate the square inches of your former tattoo? Did it leave a scar?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote: Mine is black and blue, with a tiny dot of yellow. Can you estimate the square inches of your former tattoo? Did it leave a scar?
I'm guessing 3-4 inches by 3-4 inches. It was all black.

the thing about laser removal is, the higher the intensity, the less sessions are needed, but the more pain it causes.
I have a very high threshold for pain and didn't so much as whince, just lying there and having a pleasant conversation, so the doctor kept increasing the intensity.
During one session, I asked if she smelled anything burning. Turns out it was my arm.
The doctor had never set the intensity that high because no one else could take the pain
So, yes, I do have a scar (burn).

I had some stuff to deal with the scarring (Mederma does wonders), but didn't keep it up, as I didn't really care
(1 - its concealed by a t-shirt; 2 - I've got other, more noticable scars)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 pm

I only had one of my three tattoos removed, because the artwork was horrible.
The others remain. Besides, one of them would be a disaster, because there's white for shading

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

dingbat wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote: Mine is black and blue, with a tiny dot of yellow. Can you estimate the square inches of your former tattoo? Did it leave a scar?

the thing about laser removal is, the higher the intensity, the less sessions are needed, but the more pain it causes.
I have a very high threshold for pain and didn't so much as whince, just lying there and having a pleasant conversation, so the doctor kept increasing the intensity.
During one session, I asked if she smelled anything burning. Turns out it was my arm.
The doctor had never set the intensity that high because no one else could take the pain

I had some stuff to deal with the scarring (Mederma does wonders), but didn't keep it up, as I didn't really care
What I want to know, and what I'm guessing everyone else who is tatless does too, is were you this tuff before you got the tatz or does actually getting the ink make you moar tuff?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 pm

laxbrah420 wrote: What I want to know, and what I'm guessing everyone else who is tatless does too, is were you this tuff before you got the tatz or does actually getting the ink make you moar tuff?
I don't even think of myself as tough. I just figure, it's gonna hurt, just deal with it - whincing/crying isn't gonna make the pain any less.
Getting inked doesn't change who you are.

Also, while I love my (remaining) tats and don't regret it at all, I will always advise against getting one.
But, if you insist on getting one, I'll then advise to properly research the artist - yu don't want a botched tattoo

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 pm

laxbrah420... So you play lacrosse, you are definitely a bro, and you advertise that you are pro 420, man you are awesome!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 pm

princeR wrote:laxbrah420... So you play lacrosse, you are definitely a bro, and you advertise that you are pro 420, man you are awesome!
Although I agree with the fact that his user name is super toolish...

This is exactly what I was wondering...
laxbrah420 wrote: What I want to know, and what I'm guessing everyone else who is tatless does too, is were you this tuff before you got the tatz or does actually getting the ink make you moar tuff?

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

What I want to know, and what I'm guessing everyone else who is tatless does too, is were you this tuff before you got the tatz or does actually getting the ink make you moar tuff?
I think the fact that tat-less people always seem to want to inject the subject of toughness into conversations about tats says more about them than it does about anyone with tattoos.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 pm

What does it say?!?!
And i totally injected it! I tricked dingbat to talk about his pain tolerance

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm

I think it's kind of stupid that tattoos matter in the first place. Unless it's something horribly inappropriate I don't think people should care. They probably will care, but they shouldn't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:Well, shit. Might be worth the $200 to get it removed.
Yes, it is.

Seriously considering investing in tattoo removal technology. Gonna be a shit ton of demand when all these kids realize that tattoos in areas not easily covered up (although yours is, albeit a limited hair style) was a bad, bad idea.

The only places that are hard to cover up are hands and neck. I have half sleeves on my arms, a lower leg sleeve, among others and most people have never (and probably will never) seen them

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I think it's kind of stupid that tattoos matter in the first place. Unless it's something horribly inappropriate I don't think people should care. They probably will care, but they shouldn't.
:lol: :lol:

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:What does it say?!?!
It's kind of hard to have a discussion about tat's and removals without the subject of pain coming up. It matters for comparing experience and evaluating if you're up for something like a laser removal. I, for one, found it relevant to my question. But okay, yeah, whatever.

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I think it's kind of stupid that tattoos matter in the first place. Unless it's something horribly inappropriate I don't think people should care. They probably will care, but they shouldn't.
+1, although apparently butterflies are horribly inappropriate to some posters here :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 pm

The opening scene of Lawrence of Arabia starts with Peter O'toole lighting a match and holding it until it burns out. Someone else tries the same, but drops the match in pain.
"the trick isn't that it doesn't hurt. The trick is not minding that it hurts"

Damn laser removal hurts like hell
But, once committed to it, I've got to see it through.
Hence, no wincing or crying.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote:
It's kind of hard to have a discussion about tat's and removals without the subject of pain coming up. It matters for comparing experience and evaluating if you're up for something like a laser removal. I, for one, found it relevant to my question. But okay, yeah, whatever.
bleh--it's one thing to say it can hurt, and another to volunteer that you're immune to the pain to the point that you only smell that your arm is on fire.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:10 pm

I think that as time goes on, it'll matter less and less.
Unfortunately, to a lot of people it still matters

Visibility matters a lot. I think there's a lot more tolerance for tats that are easily covered up.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:13 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:
bleh--it's one thing to say it can hurt, and another to volunteer that you're immune to the pain to the point that you only smell that your arm is on fire.
Tattoo removal hurts like a motherfuck.
But I just deal with the pain. Since each session was incremental, I didn't really pay attention (and, apparently, neither did the doctor) to the threshold of human flesh.
Even on low intensity there's a lot of pain.

I didn't mean to sound tough, but I was asked if it left a scar. It did, but I wanted to qualify my answer, as the burning incident makes it a non-typical case

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”