Tattoo question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
laxbrah420

Gold

Re: Tattoo question

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:I think it's kind of stupid that tattoos matter in the first place. Unless it's something horribly inappropriate I don't think people should care. They probably will care, but they shouldn't.
+1, although apparently butterflies are horribly inappropriate to some posters here :roll:
:roll:
You get a tattoo on purpose --it conveys some message to the outside world about you. It might communicate just your art preference, a meaningful person/quote, or some affiliation. To me, it communicates an impulsive, uncalculating person trying to look tough/rebellious...most likely from low socioeconomic standing.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 pm

"oh my god. that quote is so deep. that firebreathing dragon is so rad. i want to put it on my skin for other people to see forever"

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:22 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:I think it's kind of stupid that tattoos matter in the first place. Unless it's something horribly inappropriate I don't think people should care. They probably will care, but they shouldn't.
+1, although apparently butterflies are horribly inappropriate to some posters here :roll:
You get a tattoo on purpose --it conveys some message to the outside world about you. It might communicate just your art preference, a meaningful person/quote, or some affiliation. To me, it communicates an impulsive, uncalculating person trying to look tough/rebellious...most likely from low socioeconomic standing.
I spent a few weeks researching the tattoo artist, worked together on the design (which has a special meaning for me) and is hidden by a t-shirt. Is that impulsive or uncalculating?
Does it make me look tough/rebellious when no one can see it?
I know plenty of other people who can say the same thing about their tats. It's just an outdated stereotype

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:"oh my god. that quote is so deep. that firebreathing dragon is so rad. i want to put it on my skin for other people to see forever"
Although I will agree that many tattoos fall under this category

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm

dingbat wrote: I spent a few weeks researching the tattoo artist, worked together on the design (which has a special meaning for me) and is hidden by a t-shirt. Is that impulsive or uncalculating?
I know plenty of other people who can say the same thing about their tats. It's just an outdated stereotype
Not really --and then I think you don't fall under the "WHY DO TATTOOS MATTER FOR JOBS" sobstory

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:34 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:

Okay, yeah, you got me. I'm from a low socioeconomic background and I made a "rebellious" decision when I was 17. I'm trying to decide whether it's best for my career to pay to have a tattoo removed? Yeah, I'm crazy irresponsible. I think I'll refrain from taking you too seriously, since you're presumably an adult and still think it's cute/rebellious to make references to weed in a username.
Last edited by MissyJRA177 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Yea, because clearly my interpretation of what a tattoo says should be applied not only to you personally, but your decision process to get it removed...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 pm

MissyJRA177 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:You have that tattoo and your only regret is that it's in a visible area?
Yeah, that's literally my only regret. If I had a problem with my 1-inch butterfly tattoo, I should hope I would be sitting on a therapist's couch getting over myself, not posting on here.
Sorry I just saw this, I wasn't talking to you. This was meant for the guy with the toke weed forever or whatever.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:38 pm

that was obviously a joke...

aka, "not sure if srs or just autism"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
dingbat wrote: I spent a few weeks researching the tattoo artist, worked together on the design (which has a special meaning for me) and is hidden by a t-shirt. Is that impulsive or uncalculating?
Not really --and then I think you don't fall under the "WHY DO TATTOOS MATTER FOR JOBS" sobstory
I don't believe in sobstories
(and neither do most employers)

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
MissyJRA177 wrote:
This view, while silly, is far more common than most people realize, even among younger people. And among educated, successful older adults (here meaning 40ish), I would say it's more likely than not that people will see tattoos and think "degenerate."

I don't say this to insult the tattooed (I have tattoos), but I really don't think most people in their late 20's right now (or younger) realize how much more accepted tattoos are among that demographic than they are even among people just a few years older. There was sort of a tattoo renaissance around 2000, and for those who weren't kids or young adults at that time, tattoos often still have the connotations of poverty, uneducated, criminal, drugs, etc.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 pm

So do you guys think in 15-20 years firm partners will be cool with tats? Or will the overly conservative uptightness ruboff on people from our generation?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Neatrends wrote:So do you guys think in 15-20 years firm partners will be cool with tats? Or will the overly conservative uptightness ruboff on people from our generation?
Cool, no
Accepting, yes

Accepting of non-visible or easily covered up and demure tattoos
Having the outline of a penis inked on your forehead will never be accepted

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:19 am

dingbat wrote:
Neatrends wrote:So do you guys think in 15-20 years firm partners will be cool with tats? Or will the overly conservative uptightness ruboff on people from our generation?
Cool, no
Accepting, yes

Accepting of non-visible or easily covered up and demure tattoos
Having the outline of a penis inked on your forehead will never be accepted
Yeah, content/style will always be a factor. Part of me suspects that zero-tolerance tattoo policies are just a practical way to avoid having to explain to applicants why one tattoo is unacceptable, but others are okay. It would be a nightmare for employers to draw the line. Tiny, easily hidden and tasteful flower tattoo? Okay. Flames of hell raging up the forearm? Not okay. But where to draw the line, and how do you justify it on paper? Hence, zero-tolerance on paper. It might play out differently in person, though.

As for me, I'm going to experiment with tattoo concealer make-up.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Who has zero-tolerance policies?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Thank god I'm too boring for tattoos!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:59 pm

pret wrote:Thank god I'm too boring for tattoos!
Just tattoo a smiley face on your left butt cheek - no one will ever know

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

while i do not have a tattoo, while reading through the thread, i saw something about pants suits and hair worn up being bad? seriously?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 pm

I have a mustache tattooed on the inside of my forefinger. Good for laughs but essentially unhideable. Already nervous for when partners notice. Also have some arm stuff that causes me to wear long sleeves almost everyday. IMO cover tats when first judgments are made (class, etc), and always around professionals.

Plz no quotes

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 pm

stephinmd wrote:while i do not have a tattoo, while reading through the thread, i saw something about pants suits and hair worn up being bad? seriously?
This. The skirts in skirt suits are usually hellishly uncomfortable. And while I get that comfort is not/shouldn't be the main factor in professional clothes, I can't imagine having to be in an uncomfortable pencil skirt all day being very fun.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 pm

stephinmd wrote:while i do not have a tattoo, while reading through the thread, i saw something about pants suits and hair worn up being bad? seriously?
I actually read that hair up was the more professional way to go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 pm

cinephile wrote:
I actually read that hair up was the more professional way to go.
Yeah, I heard that, too. although it probably depends on whether the person in question is keeping it classy, or has one of those annoying messy bun/ponytails.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:14 pm

masked kavana wrote:Wait you have to wear long sleeves when meeting with professors too? How about to class?

I have a sleeve and have never had a problem with it yet.. Is the legal profession this old fashioned?
No you don't need to cover up in front of professors or classmates etc.; that's absurd. You do need to cover up for any job interview (that's hardly unique to the legal profession, however).

prosen5808

New

Post by prosen5808 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Last edited by prosen5808 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:To me, it communicates an impulsive, uncalculating person trying to look tough/rebellious...most likely from low socioeconomic standing.
I spent 2 yrs working with a good friend (who is an artist) designing mine, which I got in my mid-20's. Totally an impulsive decision. :roll:

I can cover mine up if I want to (it's on my forearm), but I often wear 3/4 sleeves and some of it inevitably shows. Hasn't gotten me in trouble yet and I've been working in the legal field for 5+ years now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”