Chicago vs. LA legal job market

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sbuzz

Chicago vs. LA legal job market

Postby sbuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

I am trying to decide between attending a regional school in LA or a regional school in Chicago. The one in Chicago is ranked significantly higher in the US Rankings (but still a regional school). I've been trying to find out which area has a better legal job market, but haven't had a whole lot of luck. I was hoping someone with actual knowledge on the subject could provide some insight on this. Much appreciated!

alabamabound

Re: Chicago vs. LA legal job market

Postby alabamabound » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm

I lived in LA before law school where I worked as a paralegal and am currently a 2L in Chicago. My sense is neither market is great right now (none are) but Chicago is maybe a bit better at the moment. That probably shouldn't be driving your decision on schools though, even assuming it's accurate in the most general sense.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Both law school graduates that I know that graduated from non-Chicago based schools, but schools within the Midwest are compliance associates. I know the one individual had a solid financial-based resume. Assume this type of work and be grateful for anything above it.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm

where are you from?

sbuzz

Postby sbuzz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

I am from New York (originally Westchester County, but Buffalo now).

Alabamabound - do you mind if I ask what school you attend in Chicago?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Knowing basically nothing about your ties or the actual schools you're applying to (rankings after the t20 don't really matter too much...), the Chicago market has to be better than the LA market, because LA is absolutely god-awful.

Again, I have no idea what your situation entails, but have you considered law school in NY instead?

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:43 pm

sbuzz wrote:I am from New York (originally Westchester County, but Buffalo now).

Alabamabound - do you mind if I ask what school you attend in Chicago?

NU.

sbuzz

Postby sbuzz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I did consider law school in New York, but have decided against it for a few reasons--the legal market in NYC (if I stayed in New York, I would want to be there) seems overwhelmed with graduates from NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, etc. I realize all major urban markets pretty much share this, but New York seemed to be the worst of the three cities I was considering. The cost of living and high tuition at the schools I was admitted to doesn't seem to be worth the debt when compared with job prospects. None of the schools I applied to/was admitted to offer in-state reduced tuition, so that is not a factor.

twentypercentmore--Do you work/go to law school in LA or do you know people who do?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:31 pm

sbuzz wrote:I did consider law school in New York, but have decided against it for a few reasons--the legal market in NYC (if I stayed in New York, I would want to be there) seems overwhelmed with graduates from NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, etc. I realize all major urban markets pretty much share this, but New York seemed to be the worst of the three cities I was considering. The cost of living and high tuition at the schools I was admitted to doesn't seem to be worth the debt when compared with job prospects. None of the schools I applied to/was admitted to offer in-state reduced tuition, so that is not a factor.

twentypercentmore--Do you work/go to law school in LA or do you know people who do?

NYC's legal market is also a lot larger than any other legal market in the country.

Are you from LA or Chicago? If so I'd just pick that place since if you're going to risk going to a low ranked school it makes no sense to move across the country to take that gamble.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm

sbuzz wrote:I did consider law school in New York, but have decided against it for a few reasons--the legal market in NYC (if I stayed in New York, I would want to be there) seems overwhelmed with graduates from NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, etc. I realize all major urban markets pretty much share this, but New York seemed to be the worst of the three cities I was considering. The cost of living and high tuition at the schools I was admitted to doesn't seem to be worth the debt when compared with job prospects. None of the schools I applied to/was admitted to offer in-state reduced tuition, so that is not a factor.

If you're agnostic about where you spend the next 3 years (or your law career, for that matter), an NYC-feeder school is probably the correct call over any similarly-ranked Chicago-feeder school. CA is a somewhat more complex picture given that it's at least 2 markets: NorCal and SoCal.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:47 pm

The LA "market", if you can even call it that, is absolute shit.

-Loyola 3L about to move out of state

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:27 am

sbuzz wrote:twentypercentmore--Do you work/go to law school in LA or do you know people who do?

Lot of it is hearsay and anecdotal. I mean, I could tell you I have friends at UCLA Law and Pepperdine that are in the top half/third of their classes that can't get jobs in California in male prostitution, let alone BigLaw.

That's obviously not sufficient evidence to convince you, nor should it be. The overwhelmingly large number of TLSers that go "lol LA law?", should give you considerable pause, however.

sbuzz

Postby sbuzz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you to everyone for your honest and helpful input.

Danteshek, I have read many of your comments on several other of these blogs and you seem to be someone who knows what they're talking about. Do you mind if I ask where you're considering moving? Would you suggest going to a school offering less money in Chicago or NYC over a school in California then? Obviously I'll end up with more debt, but if job prospects are better it would seem to be the most logical choice.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:57 pm

What about getting LA law from a lower-T14 (non-Boalt) if you have strong ties? Still need tip-top grades?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:10 pm

sbuzz wrote:Thank you to everyone for your honest and helpful input.

Danteshek, I have read many of your comments on several other of these blogs and you seem to be someone who knows what they're talking about. Do you mind if I ask where you're considering moving? Would you suggest going to a school offering less money in Chicago or NYC over a school in California then? Obviously I'll end up with more debt, but if job prospects are better it would seem to be the most logical choice.

I'll be in DC next year but most likely I'll end up in NJ or NY. I'm happy to go into more detail off line.

Return to “Law School FAQ”