Thoughts on having a dog in law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
msblaw89

Gold

Re: Thoughts on having a dog in law school?

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Always Credited wrote:This is a corgi/golden retriever mix, and my future dog. I'll have it for my last year in law school.

--ImageRemoved--
Now, I definitely want a dog. Please watch
http://vimeo.com/39074291

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Puppies are a pain in the ass. Rescue a couple year old dog or something. My dog is 2 and it's still like having a small child.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm

I would not consider going to school without my dog....

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 pm

JCFindley wrote:I would not consider going to school without my dog....
Yea, I think this thread has just reinforced my want for a dog in LS

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Put a deposit down for an irish goldendoodle ( mother is 1/2 irish setter 1/2 golden retriever) Dad is 100% poodle. It is "mini" around 30-40 pounds full grown. Mom weights 47lbs and Dad weighs 26lbs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:54 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Put a deposit down for an irish goldendoodle ( mother is 1/2 irish setter 1/2 golden retriever) Dad is 100% poodle. It is "mini" around 30-40 pounds full grown. Mom weights 47lbs and Dad weighs 26lbs
Your puppy sounds cute!

If you are looking for a non-shedding dog, you should definitely choose the puppy with the curliest hair. A lot of doodles shed (just as badly as golden retrievers), despite the common notion that these are non-shedding dogs. It seems to be that the tighter the curl in the hair, the less of a chance of shedding. Also, grooming is a pain and very expensive. You may want to check out this website, http://www.doodlekisses.com, there is a ton of info about doodles.

I have a mini goldendoodle (plus the maltipoo pictured in my avatar). My goldendoodle is a f1b and was supposed to be 15lbs, but he's actually way bigger than I expected... not that it's a huge deal. He's the sweetest dog and actually very laid back. He passed his therapy dog test when he was 11 months old. Both of my dogs are finished with the puppy stage (they will be around 4 years old by the time I start law school) and quite frankly love to sleep all day. But, I am worried that I will neglect them next year :(

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 am

I would absolutely not go to law school with a puppy of any breed. housetraining is not the end of puppyhood by any stretch.

Since it sounds like you're getting one, pay a couple hundred bucks to get a professional baby proofer to come to your apartment and provide advice. And don't take any of your relatives up on offers of nice furniture. And never ever ever leave your shoes out. The first one's a joke; the others are not.

If you really must have a dog now, please consider adopting an adult dog instead. Having a puppy may be good for you. Having a 1L owner may not be good for the puppy.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 am

BVest wrote:I would absolutely not go to law school with a puppy of any breed. housetraining is not the end of puppyhood by any stretch.

Since it sounds like you're getting one, pay a couple hundred bucks to get a professional baby proofer to come to your apartment and provide advice. And don't take any of your relatives up on offers of nice furniture. And never ever ever leave your shoes out. The first one's a joke; the others are not.

If you really must have a dog now, please consider adopting an adult dog instead. Having a puppy may be good for you. Having a 1L owner may not be good for the puppy.
TCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm

rebexness wrote:
BVest wrote:
There are also a lot of rescue organizations in need of short-term fostering (anywhere from one night to a few months)
That's a great way to have a dog, do a good deed, and not lock yourself into a long-term commitment (having a dog and being a first year biglaw associate is bordering on cruelty to animals)

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Having a dog in school is great. Your schedule is more flexible and if you like to study at home having a dog is a great companion. I got mine at the end of 1L (almost graduated) and I haven't regretted it (and she's a rescue with some socialization issues, so it hasn't been smooth sailing the whole time).

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 am

+100 for this thread... I've been wondering the same thing myself. I've been wanting to get a dog forever, but I'm not sure 1L year of law school is the right time. Then again, maybe there will never be a "right time."

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

To those of you with dogs - how hard was it to find an apartment near your school that would allow you to have them?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

annet wrote:To those of you with dogs - how hard was it to find an apartment near your school that would allow you to have them?
Most of the generic corporate complexes (AMLI, Gables, etc.) all allow pets, just having a set fee (they like to call it a non-refundable pet deposit, which makes no sense). You're going to have more trouble if your looking at small investor-owned properties like condos, 4-plexes and the like, but even then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

That said, the Mrs and I will probably buy so we can have the fence we want for our guy (not to mention because prices are down and interest rates are at 3.9%).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 pm

annet wrote:To those of you with dogs - how hard was it to find an apartment near your school that would allow you to have them?
I'm thinking of attending Cornell and it has been extremely hard. Ever the large complexes do not allow dogs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:58 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I'm thinking of attending Cornell and it has been extremely hard. Ever the large complexes do not allow dogs
I don't know anything about Ithica, I would expect large apartment complexes to be the least accommodating. They tend to be less willing to haggle over anything (whether it be rent, utilities, pets, etc). If you're renting from a landlord who isn't some giant apartment complex you have a better chance of being able to haggle for allowing pets even if they don't initially allow it.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 pm

That said, it is a lot of fcking work depending on the breed and energy requirements. My doberman has endless energy, and when I am exausted, he wants to sit on me, next to me, put his face in mine, and fight for every drop of attention I can give him.

Lol, I went to the Humane Society to adopt and the GORGEOUS Huskie they had there was awesome, but I could not take him home because I realize that he would just be too much to handle in law school. The dog was just amazing to watch; he has boundless energy. He ran full speed up and down the yard like 100 times and showed no signs of stopping. I need a lower energy pooch! Which BTW brings me to ask: How long can you leave a dog without it getting lonely? Will I have to be in the library for long hours or could I study at home? (I prefer home)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 pm

roaringeagle wrote:
That said, it is a lot of fcking work depending on the breed and energy requirements. My doberman has endless energy, and when I am exausted, he wants to sit on me, next to me, put his face in mine, and fight for every drop of attention I can give him.

Lol, I went to the Humane Society to adopt and the GORGEOUS Huskie they had there was awesome, but I could not take him home because I realize that he would just be too much to handle in law school. The dog was just amazing to watch; he has boundless energy. He ran full speed up and down the yard like 100 times and showed no signs of stopping. I need a lower energy pooch! Which BTW brings me to ask: How long can you leave a dog without it getting lonely? Will I have to be in the library for long hours or could I study at home? (I prefer home)
It depends on the dog.

If you're a gunner, having a dog can be cruelty to animals.
When I was working crazy hours (out the door at 7, home after 11) I didn't get a dog even though I really wanted one. It was only when my lifestyle changed that I got my boys (and even then a neighborhood kid would come over and play during the day

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Will I have to be in the library for long hours or could I study at home? (I prefer home)
You can definitely study at home. Honestly I only need to spend about 3 hours per day at school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 pm

depends if your dog is already a lawyer or not..

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 am

roaringeagle wrote:Which BTW brings me to ask: How long can you leave a dog without it getting lonely?
Get a significant other. It does mean another animal to train, but gives your dog a companion.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:Will I have to be in the library for long hours or could I study at home? (I prefer home)
You can definitely study at home. Honestly I only need to spend about 3 hours per day at school.
This is what I plan on doing

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”