0L Summer Opportunities Poll

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Which Summer 0L job?

DC-Capitol Hill Committee internship ($1500/month stipend)
19%
DC-Political Consulting internship ($10/hr)
10%
MD-Client Liaison in law firm (salary) havent told about ls
No votes
DC-Staff Assistant, lobbyist assc. (salary) havent told about ls
5%
Beach Job near home in Atlantic City ($7000/summer)
67%

Total votes: 21

Scottie2Hottie

0L Summer Opportunities Poll

Postby Scottie2Hottie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Which one should I go with?

I will have to relocate for all of them/sublet a place in the greater Dc area except for beach job.
I have already done an internship on Capitol Hill for my senator.
Will be going to law school in MD, been living here since September (chance of instate tuition last half of law school)
If I work the beach job in NJ then I will give up any shot of instate tuition for last half of law school, pending I stay at that particular school.

Br3v

Re: 0L Summer Opportunities Poll

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Not beach

Scottie2Hottie

Postby Scottie2Hottie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Also should note I am interested in politics, obviously, and would like to work in the Senate or trade assc as a lobbyist eventually.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Br3v wrote:Not beach

Yea. Beach = negative dollars.

That blows though. "Political Consulting" sounds too cool to be true. Are you just making and taking phone calls?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Scottie2Hottie wrote:Also should note I am interested in politics, obviously, and would like to work in the Senate or trade assc as a lobbyist eventually.

You want to be a lobbyist?

Scottie2Hottie

Postby Scottie2Hottie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Lobbyist=dream job. I know the process of how to be one and have met many through my internship working on the Hill. Obviously out of law school, far-fetched, but if you work on the Hill long enough, very possible, especially with a JD.

And yea the political consulting job, you get put on a team, they deal a lot with GOP campaigns (am an independent myself and have worked for democratic senator) so I assume a lot of "gopher" work but will have opportunity to do some hands on stuff too.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Scottie2Hottie wrote:Lobbyist=dream job. I know the process of how to be one and have met many through my internship working on the Hill. Obviously out of law school, far-fetched, but if you work on the Hill long enough, very possible, especially with a JD.

And yea the political consulting job, you get put on a team, they deal a lot with GOP campaigns (am an independent myself and have worked for democratic senator) so I assume a lot of "gopher" work but will have opportunity to do some hands on stuff too.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Br3v wrote:
Scottie2Hottie wrote:Lobbyist=dream job. I know the process of how to be one and have met many through my internship working on the Hill. Obviously out of law school, far-fetched, but if you work on the Hill long enough, very possible, especially with a JD.

Not gonna lie, after watching Aaron Eckhart bone Katie Holmes in Thank You For Smoking, there was a dark period in my life when I too wanted to be a lobbyist.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd go with the political firm if it's a good one, otherwise, the trade association sounds pretty decent.

Return to “Law School FAQ”